MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Kids still do sports, it's what parents do with their kids because their parents did it with them.

Watching it, tuning in, keeping up with a sport, good lluck with that.

In coaching travel teams, I've asked them who they like, favorite teams, players, what other sports they like, same questions, etc. Not just scrub teams, but we play in some national competitions, etc.

They can name a few. You ask them about, did you see, etc. It's a blank on their part. Man, in my day, if we had the technology we have now, we'd see everything. Passion is still there for the sport, they want to win, but good luck getting them to watch it. They just don't.

For reference, one boy is 5'11 and in 6rh grade, I'd be shocked if he didn't play high D1. The other is a soccer player with a youth affiliated MLS program. My soccer child knows big name soccer players and clubs, but watch it, nah. Football boy, he's maybe watched a handful of football games combined his entire life. He's wicked smart, too smart at times, but watch sports, forget it.

Television has gone up for three main reasons. Comfy sofa and big television. It's also far cheaper to stay at home, **** has gotten outrageous. The age that watches and follows this stuff religiously (parents and grandparents) have other stuff to do (kids), so that leaves the old guard. They aren't getting younger and when they're gone, it's gonna drop. Kids just aren't built like that anymore, too many other interests.

Yeah, we can debate what the future mix will be, but sports is still incredibly popular. For one thing, it's one of the few "contents" that you can watch on various media that is live, immediate, and unpredictable.

Also, look to merchandise. I realize that isn't the end-all/be-all, but the growth of companies like Fanatics, as well as long-time leaders like Nike and adidas, are indications that there will still be INTEREST and fandom, even if that might look a bit different from when we were younger.

We shall see. Will every pro franchise sell for $7 billion? Maybe not. But the overall interest is still strong, and we have to monitor what that will actually mean over the next few decades.

Advertisement
i ask, because something has obviously altered your perception of reality. you must be reading some really bad material

as a former english lit teacher, your mom should be sick to hear you call rap "poetry".
Oh, that. Can’t blame it on books or video games or my mom - probably the result of massive amounts of weed and blow from the ages of 18-24.

You just say it, so it must be true.

If they can't get gaming approval, that corner is WORTHLESS. Maybe not literally, but it's only worth what the dirt mall is worth per acre. Which is not much.

Last time I checked, Magic City is not within the city limits of Coral Gables. Or Miami Beach. Or any other city that would justify a price premium over and above being situated at the corner of two roads in a mid/slightly-rough part of town.
man there are houses in hialeah that are at a premium now.

Advertisement
theres an area by UCF that has a high rate of cancer

Was it a Martin-Marietta (Lockheed) site? Because I know for a fact that a lot of their engineers used to just dump out chemicals on the ground. Two of my best friends from high school...their dads worked for MM and would tell us hilarious stories (back when we all wanted to be engineers, just like our dads...).

You just say it, so it must be true.

If they can't get gaming approval, that corner is WORTHLESS. Maybe not literally, but it's only worth what the dirt mall is worth per acre. Which is not much.

Last time I checked, Magic City is not within the city limits of Coral Gables. Or Miami Beach. Or any other city that would justify a price premium over and above being situated at the corner of two roads in a mid/slightly-rough part of town.
Careful now, any disagreements with the facts as HaShem sees them means you live in an altered state of reality resulting from too much video game time as a child. Although you two are closer in age, so I’m not sure what reasoning he would pin to your neuroses.

Advertisement
Careful now, any disagreements with the facts as HaShem sees them means you live in an altered state of reality resulting from too much video game time as a child. Although you two are closer in age, so I’m not sure what reasoning he would pin to your neuroses.

@rsa coral gables and I went to law school together, so he **** well knows I wasn't playing video games!

Again, I do respect his opinion, he is a more honest critic than most, but I hope that he can visit other places (like Atlanta) where entire blocks are being torn down to build new things.

Imagine ALOT Louder....that's how ridiculously Loud the OB was for UM vs ND in 89....

I've been to the OB for 2000 FSU 2003 UF

You telling me it was "a lot louder" when Kirk Herbstreet says 2017 was the loudest game he has ever been too doesn't add up.

The point is. Our current stadium absolutely has home field advantage if we don't suck ***.

Advertisement
Was it a Martin-Marietta (Lockheed) site? Because I know for a fact that a lot of their engineers used to just dump out chemicals on the ground. Two of my best friends from high school...their dads worked for MM and would tell us hilarious stories (back when we all wanted to be engineers, just like our dads...).
I think its called Avalon

@rsa coral gables and I went to law school together, so he **** well knows I wasn't playing video games!

Again, I do respect his opinion, he is a more honest critic than most, but I hope that he can visit other places (like Atlanta) where entire blocks are being torn down to build new things.
a miami group bought up a ton of land in midtown and basically gentrifying it (theyre responsible for star metals building).

Advertisement
I've been to the OB for 2000 FSU 2003 UF

You telling me it was "a lot louder" when Kirk Herbstreet says 2017 was the loudest game he has ever been too doesn't add up.

The point is. Our current stadium absolutely has home field advantage if we don't suck ***.
I don't care what Herbie says....he wasn't at the 89 UM/ND game. I was at both 89 and 2017...and there's absolutely no comparison. I was at UM/ND in 1981 as well (Daytime game)...Loud...but not 89 loud. 1989 ND and 1994 FSU were both louder than FSU 2000...and UF 03...

Look, I'm going to try to be nice...

But I think that's some bull****.

I "don't understand the new student body"? Whatever. I'm so ooooold. I don't know how these young whippersnappers be today...

And "the population has changed"? Meanwhile there's news report after news report, and study after study that have shown a connection between the collegiate experience (classes, fun, sports, activities, etc.) and the general satisfaction and eventual alumnus support.

Are you trying to claim that Miami and Miami students are unicorns? And that this "disaffected alum" stuff only happens with UM grads, but not the rest of the alums of the major universities in this country?

I am not saying that everyone behaves identically. I realize that there are selfish self-oriented people such as @Canedude08 who "chose to buy season tickets while an undergrad" and "opted out of paying the athletic fee" because you somehow couldn't make any friends with your fellow classmates. I get it.

But "you just don't understand kidz today" is not a reflection of what 100 other universities are seeing, nor evidenced by the steps that those universities have taken towards creating an active student population that then turns into an active alum population.

Have some things changed? Sure. Are there new challenges? Absolutely. But these universities are definitely taking action to try to turn students into contributing alums.
I don’t have an opinion on the stadium or student body.

But you’re definitely a boomer.

Fair enough. He definitely isn’t one of the “if it’s good enough for Super Bowls it’s good enough for us” people - who you can’t do much more than chuckle at.

And I respect the stance on TP, disagree with it, wholeheartedly, but it’s at least an argument based in something other than base selfishness.

I just tend to agree with your reasoning a little while back - why try and constantly look for reasons to say no?

Modern problems require modern solutions. What if Hugh Hathnocock (or someone like him) finds a way to buy the dolphins when Ross kicks the bucket? I haven’t read our lease, but do the dolphins have to allow us to play in their stadium? Sure it’s a revenue source that they wouldn’t want to just throw away, but some folks are petty (me, I’m petty w/r/t the turds).

4Rmg.gif

Advertisement
Back