MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
While you can debate the percentages of fans who show up to live events vs. "watch-it-on-TV"...

...sports is enormously popular. More than ever. Women's sports are seeing growth too. Merch. TV ratings. Websites like this one.

It's an artificial bubble that will burst within the next decade to decade and half. I'm actually surprised you don't see it.

Point blank, the sharks are all competing against one anther to have a slice they call their own. Costs are going up, but what's happening to the people they're supplying product to? Many are being priced out of games, seasons, etc. Television viewership is growing, but who's growing it? It isn't the youth of America or even those in their 20's. They don't give a **** by and large.

That's what sports problem is. Grab all the money they can right now, the gravy boat is getting depleted. Kids these days admire youtube and twitch personalities more than they do athletes.

Yeah. I think my exact response to rsa when he told me magic city is off the table because someone already bought it was - if it was sold once it can be sold again.
that area is too small, plus the owners are going to make billions. not for sale

Oh, man, I'm sorry, that was @Canedude08 . Sorry, I thought I was responding to him. My apologies.

As for being snobbish, I shouldn't have to apologize for knowing a lot of stuff. Blessing/curse. The people who know me on here know I'm not a snob, just a guy who will argue hard for what he knows about and believes in.

Again, apologies on the mixup with the guy who actually did purchase season tickets in order to opt out of paying his Athletic Fee.
I dont think youre a snob personally, I was just fighting fire with fire lol.

I do realize you know a ton.

do what the marlins did. a ton of those commissioners had suites in marlins park and it wasn't by accident

It wasn't just Marlins Park.

Back in the 1980s, I got invited to a Heat game in the old Miami Arena. The invitation was from a guy I knew who was also a Politics major, and he now worked for the City of Miami.

So I'm up in the box, and it is the ****tiest luxury box I had ever been in (and still is to this day). When we left, we went down some sketchy aluminum stairs that did not appear to be up to code. And I remembered how the City of Miami had bragged about spending more on the old Miami Arena than Orlando had spent on the first Orlando Arena (and I've since been in both arenas many times).

And all I could think about was how "proud" all the City of Miami employees felt over this crappy "luxury box". BUT THEY HAD ONE. Maybe Mickey Arison's was nicer, but all the old Miami Arena suites that I ever saw were the most basic garbage rooms I've ever seen in a major city's sports arena.

Advertisement
Normally we’re on the same page, but the age demographics says otherwise.

I'd love to see more context than just that graph.

I've read multiple articles about the overall decline of age groups sitting down watching a sports event live or even in person. Games used to be watched as a family, even all day. Try and find kids that do that today.

They'd all mostly rather be a pro gamer, youtube personality, etc Sports aren't kids passion these days in comparison to when I grew up and I'm in my 40's.

It wasn't just Marlins Park.

Back in the 1980s, I got invited to a Heat game in the old Miami Arena. The invitation was from a guy I knew who was also a Politics major, and he now worked for the City of Miami.

So I'm up in the box, and it is the ****tiest luxury box I had ever been in (and still is to this day). When we left, we went down some sketchy aluminum stairs that did not appear to be up to code. And I remembered how the City of Miami had bragged about spending more on the old Miami Arena than Orlando had spent on the first Orlando Arena (and I've since been in both arenas many times).

And all I could think about was how "proud" all the City of Miami employees felt over this crappy "luxury box". BUT THEY HAD ONE. Maybe Mickey Arison's was nicer, but all the old Miami Arena suites that I ever saw were the most basic garbage rooms I've ever seen in a major city's sports arena.
lol the miami arena was An amazing trash can and I loved it. so many great memories in that building.

the AAA is so much better but I remember the deal the county worked out with the heat. the heat dont pay rent but the county gets the sponsorship dollars on the naming rights among other things. the heat then also are able to do what they do Renovation wise to the arena. it kinda works for them but losing naming rights is a big thing not all teams can stomach.

It's an artificial bubble that will burst within the next decade to decade and half. I'm actually surprised you don't see it.

Point blank, the sharks are all competing against one anther to have a slice they call their own. Costs are going up, but what's happening to the people they're supplying product to? Many are being priced out of games, seasons, etc. Television viewership is growing, but who's growing it? It isn't the youth of America or even those in their 20's. They don't give a **** by and large.

That's what sports problem is. Grab all the money they can right now, the gravy boat is getting depleted. Kids these days admire youtube and twitch personalities more than they do athletes.

Artificial bubble? In what way?

Again, I can go with you to a point on "live attendance". And there will be some shifting of viewership from sport to sport, and maybe some nerd sports (drone racing?) might draw some eyeballs...

But INTEREST in sports is very high. And it gets refreshed by kids doing stuff, and then being interested in it.

So, sure, maybe "soccer" will be more popular in the future, but kids still do sports. And like sports.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Artificial bubble? In what way?

Again, I can go with you to a point on "live attendance". And there will be some shifting of viewership from sport to sport, and maybe some nerd sports (drone racing?) might draw some eyeballs...

But INTEREST in sports is very high. And it gets refreshed by kids doing stuff, and then being interested in it.

So, sure, maybe "soccer" will be more popular in the future, but kids still do sports. And like sports.

Kids still do sports, it's what parents do with their kids because their parents did it with them.

Watching it, tuning in, keeping up with a sport, good lluck with that.

In coaching travel teams, I've asked them who they like, favorite teams, players, what other sports they like, same questions, etc. Not just scrub teams, but we play in some national competitions, etc.

They can name a few. You ask them about, did you see, etc. It's a blank on their part. Man, in my day, if we had the technology we have now, we'd see everything. Passion is still there for the sport, they want to win, but good luck getting them to watch it. They just don't.

For reference, one boy is 5'11 and in 6rh grade, I'd be shocked if he didn't play high D1. The other is a soccer player with a youth affiliated MLS program. My soccer child knows big name soccer players and clubs, but watch it, nah. Football boy, he's maybe watched a handful of football games combined his entire life. He's wicked smart, too smart at times, but watch sports, forget it.

Television has gone up for three main reasons. Comfy sofa and big television. It's also far cheaper to stay at home, **** has gotten outrageous. The age that watches and follows this stuff religiously (parents and grandparents) have other stuff to do (kids), so that leaves the old guard. They aren't getting younger and when they're gone, it's gonna drop. Kids just aren't built like that anymore, too many other interests.

None of this is true. It's just not.

"A depreciating asset". Sure. First, land doesn't depreciate, and please tell me the last time the value of Dade County land declined over a multi-year period.

As for the building itself, who gives a **** if you take depreciation? The fact remains, most real estate (including buildings) in Dade have been INCREASING in value over the past few decades. Sure, a football stadium isn't exactly a real estate property that you'll see on some reality show about flipping houses, but it's also possible to book events in the facility that are unable to be booked into Hard Rock, particularly now that tennis and F1 limit the scheduling options.

Finally, this "amateur businessman" nonsense about ROI needs to stop. This isn't an "investment". It's not a "project" that UM will develop and then sell. All you need to do is make sure that you can find some additional revenue throughout the other 9 months of the year (in a warm weather climate, so that's not impossible) to offset your maintenance and upkeep. This isn't some Junior Finance Club project where you are competing against other 7th graders for the "Highest ROI" trophy.

I’ve said it b4, & I’ll say it…he’s on ignore b/c he’s an uninformed idiot. He’s trying to assign residential real estate values to a commercial, entertainment parcel.

Again, why was SC so anxious to take over management for the Coliseum? Why was UCLA so anxious to taking over management of The Rose Bowl? Why did Stan Kronke want to build his own football stadium? Why is Steve Ballmer building his own arena vs. staying tenants at Crypto.com Arena? Why didn’t MSG want to give up control of The Kia Forum? I’ll tell u, for control & ADD’L STREAMS OF REVENUE. Lol.

Like K, I told that chump b4 he didn’t know what he was talking about, & he continually puts out the dumbest arguments. I provided tangible, revenue reports. I’ve provided articles showing why & how USC has capitalized off of its operating management status. I posted articles showing how UCLA makes revenue from being operating managers of The Rose Bowl, yet he remains the biggest jack *** on this board, & it’s not close.

It’s y I’m certain, whatever financial help he’s providing to clients, they r hemorrhaging $$ by dumb advice.

Advertisement
I'd love to see more context than just that graph.

I've read multiple articles about the overall decline of age groups sitting down watching a sports event live or even in person. Games used to be watched as a family, even all day. Try and find kids that do that today.

They'd all mostly rather be a pro gamer, youtube personality, etc Sports aren't kids passion these days in comparison to when I grew up and I'm in my 40's.

I thought we were done with the stupid meaningless questions.

That said, not much. I was more of a reader (my mom’s a high school English teacher).
i ask, because something has obviously altered your perception of reality. you must be reading some really bad material

as a former english lit teacher, your mom should be sick to hear you call rap "poetry".

that area is too small, plus the owners are going to make billions. not for sale

You just say it, so it must be true.

If they can't get gaming approval, that corner is WORTHLESS. Maybe not literally, but it's only worth what the dirt mall is worth per acre. Which is not much.

Last time I checked, Magic City is not within the city limits of Coral Gables. Or Miami Beach. Or any other city that would justify a price premium over and above being situated at the corner of two roads in a mid/slightly-rough part of town.

Advertisement
Back