MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

i believe very successful organizations have a common myth (to use a term)(similar to creation myths) pursuant to which all of the stakeholders unite to make the organization greater than the totality of the individual stakeholders. that myth IMO gives the organization a certain power, prestige, invincibility and ability to rise above and achieve goals that are greater than the value of the individual parts. there is no other explanation for a small, private university previously dedicated to beaches, suntans and pizza to have won 6 championships in twenty years. the foundation of that myth IMO was THE ORANGE BOWL, the most hallowed and sacred grounds. it is not a coincidence of any kind that following the destruction of the Orange Bowl the organization has been stuck at repeated failure.

i want to be clear. i would love and I would support a new stadium (a) owned/controlled by UM and (b) relatively near UM. HOWEVER, the impediments to achieving said new stadium with those two parameters are in my humble opinion unachievable.

I love ya.

You are one of the few people who make your stadium-doubting points in an honest fashion.

My biggest problem is with your final sentence. Not that you are a bad person for saying it, NOT AT ALL. It's just the starting point of the thought process. It puts "impediments" first.

We know there will be challenges, so that's why the thinking process MUST begin with figuring out solutions.

You are right, Dade is largely built out. So land will have to be repurposed. Things will need to be relocated. Humans and cars will need to figure out ways to interact via pedestrian bridges and garages and shuttles and mass transit and ride-sharing, with NONE of those partial solutions being the ONLY solution, but all of those things coming together to solve the larger problem.

But if we START with thinking about the problems WITHOUT thinking through the solutions, then you are right, nothing is achievable.

I'm still stuck on how you keep dismissing my idea of Magic City PLUS the dirt mall, where you only talk about one parcel or the other. Will it cost money? Sure. As will a relocation of 8 blocks of crap that is east of Marlins Stadium. But EITHER option is do-able IF YOU START OUT WITH THE POSITIVITY of not focusing on all the "impediments".

Think of solutions. Make the solutions happen. The rest will fall into place eventually.

I want you on the team. You can be the trouble-shooter. Just don't shoot down the solutions too.

Advertisement
U don’t need 150-200 acres! lol. Again, an NFL stadium in Seattle, Washington the home of 12th man that sits 68k, sits on 30 acres of parcel. The 49ers new home sits on 40 Acres, & SoFi sits on 60 Acres. Lol.

I don't understand why people keep creating false data points.

"150-200 acres"? Hard Rock sits on 160 acres, and we do NOT need such a huge parcel. The "Las Vegas A's" just acquired 49 acres for their stadium.

"45-50K capacity"? Where do people come up with that crap? We could easily built 60K. I just went to the UM-GaTech game in Atlanta, and that 100+ year old stadium holds 55K. You could easily construct something like that, but with a bit more seating.

People just make up numbers to fit their agendas and narratives...

Who wants the stunningly perfect location?

BUY RIVIERA COUNTRY CLUB.

1682457897110.png

Last edited:
Who wants the "think-outside-the-box" solution?

Ride out the Hard Rock lease and then secretly purchase a local cemetery, while taking "no new business". Wait out the 20 years as society moves more and more towards cremation. Eventually...

Don't hate me for being pragmatic.

I dont think you understand the new student body. a lot has changed since you attended. more and more care less about the program once theyre gone and there are many that dont give back once theyre gone. trust me, there are a lot kids I graduated with that have nothing to do w the school anymore other than throw up the U when they see it or watch games on Saturday.

the population has changed and so has the student.

I've said it for a while now, but the generations coming up don't care about sports anywhere close to as much as they once did. Schools better enjoy the television revenue they're getting now as once the 60 to 70 year old crowd dies off, it's going to be a free fall in sports revenue. Same for salaries of the players in the pro's.

There will always be a sports fans, but it's on the decline.

Advertisement
I've said it for a while now, but the generations coming up don't care about sports anywhere close to as much as they once did. Schools better enjoy the television revenue they're getting now as once the 60 to 70 year old crowd dies off, it's going to be a free fall in sports revenue. Same for salaries of the players in the pro's.

There will always be a sports fans, but it's on the decline.
this.

there is a lot more varied interests and very few diehards left tbh. it isnt as it used to be but I guess the older generations dont get it

I don't understand why people keep creating false data points.

"150-200 acres"? Hard Rock sits on 160 acres, and we do NOT need such a huge parcel. The "Las Vegas A's" just acquired 49 acres for their stadium.

"45-50K capacity"? Where do people come up with that crap? We could easily built 60K. I just went to the UM-GaTech game in Atlanta, and that 100+ year old stadium holds 55K. You could easily construct something like that, but with a bit more seating.

People just make up numbers to fit their agendas and narratives...
the As have until 1/24 to finalize a stadium deal or they lose their revenue sharing. fun fact

Ive been to the tech stadium for UM games numerous times. my sister in law lives in west midtown. lets just say tech got lucky they built their stadium when they did bc they'd have zero shot now.

fwiw, flight club is a cool spot

Sorry, I butt-replied. lol

My point is whether the landlord is the city of Miami, Ross, Diaz, or Mr. Furley, the Canes will always be a tenant - no more, no less. Therefore, unless they buy their way into controlling the day-to-day management of the stadium (like USC did with the Coliseum), they will continue to be at the whim of whoever the owner is.

If Mario can get the players and coaching up to the levels of 1983-2007, there will be a home field advantage at HRS and we actually have proof of that for a fleeting couple of weeks in 2017, but it can't be denied. Would it be nicer to be closer to campus? Absolutely, but you want to base a move mostly so the Canes can be the "primary" tenant? Who gives a chit?

Look, while I appreciate your Mr. Furley reference, this thing about a "home field advantage at HRS" is a LOAD OF CRAP.

Was the game loud? Sure. But it was certainly not the game-day atmosphere which impacted what happened on the field.

Did it scare some Notre Dame fans in the stands? Sure. And my season tickets are on the away side, so I saw some of their fans heading for the club seating underneath the stadium.

But the Notre Dame PLAYERS were not impacted. Maybe the UM players enjoyed having support FOR ONCE, but let's not act like there was a "home-field advantage" that was anywhere NEAR what we had in the Orange Bowl. A true home-field advantage happens before the game even starts, when the other team is afraid to come into town and your team feels unbeatable. As people have already cited, until the actual game itself, plenty of people thought that ND would be evenly represented by the fans.

So while surprising to many, our loud support in 2017 does not come anywhere close to being a "home-field advantage".

Advertisement
Might be the dumbest thing in this thread out of a lot of dumb opinions.

There are finite resources and you want to spend those resources on a depreciating asset.

Even if the school could raise several billion dollars to buy the land/build a stadium it would be a horrible ROI for everyone involved.

None of this is true. It's just not.

"A depreciating asset". Sure. First, land doesn't depreciate, and please tell me the last time the value of Dade County land declined over a multi-year period.

As for the building itself, who gives a **** if you take depreciation? The fact remains, most real estate (including buildings) in Dade have been INCREASING in value over the past few decades. Sure, a football stadium isn't exactly a real estate property that you'll see on some reality show about flipping houses, but it's also possible to book events in the facility that are unable to be booked into Hard Rock, particularly now that tennis and F1 limit the scheduling options.

Finally, this "amateur businessman" nonsense about ROI needs to stop. This isn't an "investment". It's not a "project" that UM will develop and then sell. All you need to do is make sure that you can find some additional revenue throughout the other 9 months of the year (in a warm weather climate, so that's not impossible) to offset your maintenance and upkeep. This isn't some Junior Finance Club project where you are competing against other 7th graders for the "Highest ROI" trophy.

Since then the roof has been installed. If the team is ever good again the noise and home field advantage will be approaching OB levels.

So your claim is that the Hard Rock roof was added AFTER the 2017 season? Interesting. Interesting.

Hey, while you're at it, why don't you go down to the local Science Museum to see if you can figure out any other artificial methods of making it sound louder than it actually is. I'm sure that will make Hard Rock Stadium even awesomer.

Advertisement
Kind of splitting hairs really. The Va Tech and ND environments in 2017 were crazy. The fan split of the ND game was the most lopsided I have ever seen for a major OOC game. Sure looked like 90% UM fans in the stadium. If UM can win again, 10 games regular season, that kind of environment is a legit home field advantage. Opponents just don't want to play in that environment. Coach Kelley couldn't wait to get back on the bus and get out of there.

Isn't it kind of sad to need sound-reflecting roof panels to make us sound louder than we actually are? Wouldn't it be better to be, you know, ACTUALLY LOUD? Just asking.

Advertisement
you are talking about a stadium already built on campus? big difference.

go convince an anti-male, heavily Marxist faculty and the trustees that hate football that spending $1B on a football stadium at tropical equals other capital improvement projects on campus (housing, academics etc.).

although apparently not your argument, the scarcity of land is THE central problem for the stadium.

Lots of assumptions here.

But I would take an alternate tack. Explain to the faculty that I am going to raise UM's rankings by 25-30 spots.

Expenditure...approved...

Wasn't there massive pushback from NIMBY's and the Matheson family when the Miami Open organizers proposed renovating the Crandon Park tennis facilities?

Absolutely true. Over time, the necessary upgrades didn't happen. The traffic issues were unfixable, though, with just the causeway access.

Went to UM with a guy who worked for the Lipton (as it was originally known) from nearly the outset. Got GREAT tickets for a while.

The point is, even if the tournament could have upgraded the facilities at Crandon, the traffic was always going to be a bottleneck disaster.

Advertisement
Back