MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Bro, I still remember the play by play getting cut in & out as the fans roared over the telecast! I’m not taking anything away from 2017; wish I was there instead of watching from home, but the chills I got from ‘89 dang near tattoo’d my body as a 7 yr old! Lol
It was total Bedlam....But Wifey was noticeably scared when Los hit the End Zone in 94...I honestly couldn't believe it. Like a Sonic Boom....

Advertisement
@HarpDawg I have no idea what you're disagreeing about, because if you think 2017 UM vs ND at Hardrock, had anything on 1989 UM vs ND at the OB you'd be out of your mind. Never in the History of the OB was there ever complete pandemonium for an "entire" game like 1989 ND...I'm talking from 2hrs before, till 2hrs after. Lou Holtz said he never heard anything like it in his career.
I've been to pretty much all the raucous UM and Dolphins game since the late 70s (except the Houston/Klinger game in 91) including the Dolphins/Bears game in 85. Nothing even close to the sheer insanity of 89 ND. 1994 had the loudest "single" play in OB history on Carlos Jones Pick6....but for a game in it's entirety, 89 ND trumps them all.
He did it to me, he did it to @Rellyrell as well. I’m still waiting for him.

Advertisement
Even the UF game in 2003 was as loud, if not louder than 2017 ND. But as far as one singular play, I never once heard the noise for a solid 3 to 4 mins on Carlos Jones pick6 vs FSU in 94. The crowd was already in a frenzy when Lang and Sapp sacked Kanell the play before. And the OB went bonkers the second Los picked it off.....But the SECOND he crossed the Goal line it sounded like the Ole Girl was coming down.

Yeah man; bro…let’s talk facts, no hate;

We can name several, SEVERAL games where the OB was a complete insane asylum. U can name one, “maaaaaaybe” two games at HRS giving remotely that type of feel & both happened in 2017. U don’t have a 58 home winning streak if ur place is just opponent friendly.

On my mama, not one opponent fears coming to HRS. Like I said, it’s more neutral site than anything. Did MTSU look scared to u? Did Duke look frazzled to u? Did FSU look concerned stealing soil from HRS in 2016? Did FSU look out of sorts hanging 45 on us? Did Clemson look like a white ghost hanging 58 on us? What about UNC writing history in our backyard?

Check it out: From 1983 - 2007, The most Miami ever gave up at the OB was 48 points in the debacle of 2007. They gave up 38, 38, 48 in ‘84, ‘91, & 2007. Those are the 3 highest games in points given up in defeat, all coming at the hands of top 25 opponents.

We’ve had unbelievable blow outs by all sorts at the LS, SLS, & HRS. It’s not just b/c we suck, it’s b/c that atmosphere lends zero home field advantage for us.

The OB was wayyyy louder...Literally on Top of the field, and steeper.

That’s what makes Seattle Stadium so intimidating; it’s not as expansive as other stadiums, but it’s a true home field for Seattle b/c of how it’s constructed. They are sitting on top of the action & it’s deafening.

Been to more games than I can count. That pick 6 against ND was as loud or louder than any moment I ever experienced at any of them , with exception of Hester’s kickoff return against the Turds, maybe.

That’s what makes Seattle Stadium so intimidating; it’s not as expansive as other stadiums, but it’s a true home field for Seattle b/c of how it’s constructed. They are sitting on top of the action & it’s deafening.

The Kingdome used to get loud AF too, I also remember Municipal Stadium in Cleveland used to be bananas with the Dog Pound. IDK man, but it's just something about those old stadiums.

Advertisement
100000% Absolutely no way have we been averaging 30k/game the past 2 seasons. I’ve been there folks. I can count the heads in certain sections. I’ll say the numbers are closer to 15-20k. FSU will always sellout because it’s FSU + their fans will account for 40% of attendance if not more.
When notre dame came down the stadium was to the ****. I remember feinbaim saying most of the stadium would be notre dame fans. They were barely there with exception of the small as section for away teams families.
I saw notre dame fans get back in their Uber. That was as old school as a Miami tailgate as I’ve ever seen.

Last time fsu fans came in force to the rock was CMR’s first year. They show up when they’re good and know they’re gonna beat is.
When J Phillips made their qb crawl like a beetch they were barely there.

Even in sofla the fsu fans only come when they’re good.
When kosi danced to soldier boy they were barely there too.

So y have some been advocating for our own stadium, & does where you play matter?

I did a little exercise to see if I was just tripping or does having your own stadium actually make a difference. I’m not just talking about W/L’s, I’m also referring to the manner of how you lose. Those who have been pro-HRS have said the same things in defense of the venue:
-It’s easy to get to
-The amenities are great for them
-It’s a world class venue
-Super Bowls are held there
-Tennis matches are held there
-Formula 1 Racing is held there
-2017 Notre Dame

OK, none of that solve or resolve the crux of the matter; is HRS a home field advantage for The Hurricanes?

From 1983-2007 (not including any bowl games), Miami went 130-23 (.850) at The OB. Those 23 home defeats avg. 10.6 ppg.

By contrast:

From 2008-present (not including any bowl games), Miami has gone 67-27 (.710) at SLS/HRS. Those 27 home defeats avg. 15 ppg.

To put this is in to further context, I chose several, random suck *** teams since 2008 to see if my theory is semi correct. (My criteria was choosing teams whose stadium’s occupancy was at least 60k)

Ole Miss: 66-38 at home (.630). Those 38 home defeats avg. 11.5 ppg

Nebraska: 66-37 at home (.640). Those 37 home defeats avg. 10.9 ppg

UNC: 64-33 at home (.660). Those 33 home defeats avg. 11.3 ppg

Pitt: 65-34 at home (.660). Those 34 home defeats avg. 13.5

Pitt shares a NFL stadium like us, however it’s been well documented that the Rooney Family have a special relationship with Pitt, & all their facilities are shared, along w/ making sure (no pun intended) Acrisure Stadium is fully utilized by Pitt as a home field.

Now on the surface, u can look at the winning % & say, “see, HRS is not a bad home field compared to others.” Again, let’s dive in further to provide even more context:

Not only are our margin of defeat much higher since moving to SLS/HRS compared to the OB or these examples, but when looking at the caliber of opponents we’ve played at HRS, it’s even more damning.

Since 2008:
-Ole Miss have faced 31 Top 25 opponents at home, yet their avg. margin of defeat is only 11.5

-Nebraska have faced 21 Top 25 opponents at home, yet their avg. margin of defeat is only 10.9

-Pitt have also faced 21 Top 25 opponents at home, yet their avg. margin of defeat is only 13.5

-Miami have only faced 17 Top 25 opponents at home, yet our avg. margin of defeat is 15!!

-Only UNC have faced less Top 25 opponents at home in this experiment (15), & again, their avg. margin of defeat is 11.3

When you also factor in that we have grossly out recruited these teams in this example, well, u kinda get the point.
Again, this was a random experiment to test a theory. Also didn’t see any 58-0 scores against any of those teams at home, despite winning maybe 2 or 3 games on the yr. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Just an interesting tidbit, but don’t think it’s a coincidence.

The Kingdome used to get loud AF too, I also remember Municipal Stadium in Cleveland used to be bananas with the Dog Pound. IDK man, but it's just something about those old stadiums.
It might more to the fact that a lot of those stadiums had multiple big moments that left an impression as opposed to a newer place where fewer moments no where as great have happened...
When people look at Joe Robbie for the Canes the biggest moment was ND in 2017... There's no way to compare that to the amount of moments at the OB... The Canes were just a much better team back then so the big moments were more attainable.... Hopefully we can get back to playing like that... If so Joe Robbie will have more moments to remember...

It might more to the fact that a lot of those stadiums had multiple big moments that left an impression as opposed to a newer place where fewer moments no where as great have happened...
When people look at Joe Robbie for the Canes the biggest moment was ND in 2017... There's no way to compare that to the amount of moments at the OB... The Canes were just a much better team back then so the big moments were more attainable.... Hopefully we can get back to playing like that... If so Joe Robbie will have more moments to remember...
This is the biggest part these guys keep leaving out.

Guess what we were actually really good when we were at the OB. What year were we really good since moving to JR.

Oh and what happened the year we were actually really good. Yeah we had the 2017 ND game. I laugh when I hear fans say the OB wasn't empty during the glory years, Either they weren't there or they were to small to remember.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So y have some been advocating for our own stadium, & does where you play matter?

I did a little exercise to see if I was just tripping or does having your own stadium actually make a difference. I’m not just talking about W/L’s, I’m also referring to the manner of how you lose. Those who have been pro-HRS have said the same things in defense of the venue:
-It’s easy to get to
-2017 Notre Dame

OK, none of that solve or resolve the crux of the matter; is HRS a home field advantage for The Hurricanes?

From 1983-2007 (not including any bowl games), Miami went 130-23 (.850) at The OB. Those 23 home defeats avg. 10.6 ppg.
Relly, I agree with 99% of your takes, but this one doesn't have that great legs IMO. Where was the OB mystique from 1958-1982? Do great teams make the stadium or do great stadiums make the team?

And Miami has never had its own stadium.

The Marlins aren't going anywhere.... Their lease is atrocious... The city is in deep with that stadium... It would take a freaking miracle to rectify that nightmare of a deal...
What deal is worse. The Marlins lease or the contract we gave Mario? Very tough to decide!

Advertisement
ND 17’, although great, wasn’t even in the caliber of 94 FSU. I was 12 years old in the WEZ and I still remember closing my ears and not being able to hear myself think. I still feel my ears ringing.
I've been to 200+ UM games and another 100+ Dolphin games....Never did I hear a noise like what I heard during Carlos pick6

-It’s easy to get to
-2017 Notre Dame

By contrast:

From 2008-present (not including any bowl games), Miami has gone 67-27 (.710) at SLS/HRS. Those 27 home defeats avg. 15 ppg.

To put this is in to further context, I chose several, random suck *** teams since 2008 to see if my theory is semi correct. (My criteria was choosing teams whose stadium’s occupancy was at least 60k)

Ole Miss: 66-38 at home (.630). Those 38 home defeats avg. 11.5 ppg

Nebraska: 66-37 at home (.640). Those 37 home defeats avg. 10.9 ppg

UNC: 64-33 at home (.660). Those 33 home defeats avg. 11.3 ppg

Pitt: 65-34 at home (.660). Those 34 home defeats avg. 13.5

Pitt shares a NFL stadium like us, however it’s been well documented that the Rooney Family have a special relationship with Pitt, & all their facilities are shared, along w/ making sure (no pun intended) Acrisure Stadium is fully utilized by Pitt as a home field.

Now on the surface, u can look at the winning % & say, “see, HRS is not a bad home field compared to others.” Again, let’s dive in further to provide even more context:

Not only are our margin of defeat much higher since moving to SLS/HRS compared to the OB or these examples, but when looking at the caliber of opponents we’ve played at HRS, it’s even more damning.

Since 2008:
-Ole Miss have faced 31 Top 25 opponents at home, yet their avg. margin of defeat is only 11.5

-Nebraska have faced 21 Top 25 opponents at home, yet their avg. margin of defeat is only 10.9

-Pitt have also faced 21 Top 25 opponents at home, yet their avg. margin of defeat is only 13.5

-Miami have only faced 17 Top 25 opponents at home, yet our avg. margin of defeat is 15!!

-Only UNC have faced less Top 25 opponents at home in this experiment (15), & again, their avg. margin of defeat is 11.3

When you also factor in that we have grossly out recruited these teams in this example, well, u kinda get the point.
Again, this was a random experiment to test a theory. Also didn’t see any 58-0 scores against any of those teams at home, despite winning maybe 2 or 3 games on the yr. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Just an interesting tidbit, but don’t think it’s a coincidence.
weve been trash even before moving to HRS. the downfall started when we were still in the OB.

i agree a stadium would be nice, but man, it is never happening anywhere near campus. at best, you get NW Miami Dade or Homestead IF its signed off on and the school decides to make a billion plus dollar investment into it which they wont. its not feasible to privately fund their own stadium and miami dade will never build one for the canes after the marlins. no one was even successful in getting entire public funding to even renovate something in the county since then. if you see where the STHers come from, youll see the county line area is actually the most reasonable location for all. miami dade isnt miami dade of the past. a lot of residents have moved out and more north as the area has priced out a lot of people. the new residents coming in dont care about the sports down here and they never will.

****, we closed out the OB getting blown the **** out by UVA 40 something to 0. stop using the staidum as a reason we suck. it has nothing to do with which rented house we live in for a day. it has everything to do with the AD, coaching, player development, and investment into the resources beyond a stadium. we got left behind as CFB changed when it became an arms race

Last edited:
weve been trash even before moving to HRS. the downfall started when we were still in the OB.

i agree a stadium would be nice, but man, it is never happening anywhere near campus. at best, you get NW Miami Dade or Homestead IF its signed off on and the school decides to make a billion plus dollar investment into it which they wont. its not feasible to privately fund their own stadium and miami dade will never build one for the canes after the marlins. no one was even successful in getting entire public funding to even renovate something in the county since then. if you see where the STHers come from, youll see the county line area is actually the most reasonable location for all. miami dade isnt miami dade of the past. a lot of residents have moved out and more north as the area has priced out a lot of people. the new residents coming in dont care about the sports down here and they never will.

****, we closed out the OB getting blown the **** out by UVA 40 something to 0. stop using the staidum as a reason we suck. it has nothing to do with which rented house we live in for a day. it has everything to do with the AD, coaching, player development, and investment into the resources beyond a stadium. we got left behind as CFB changed when it became an arms race

All of that was taken into consideration.

Advertisement
Back