MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Yes, it was this bad at times in the OB, even in the glory days. You have a great avatar.
I'm more than aware it was this bad(actually it was worse) AT TIMES IN TGE GLORY DAYS. But when it was like that was in the early 80s (were talking about consistently not a game here or there but throughout the season) I remember all about the ticket give aways etc. But he had said we had this kind of attendance issues ALL THROUGHOUT ALL OF OUR CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS... The only games we always had issues with throughout all those years was the noon games. Unless it was a big headliner and that was usually either 3:30 or 8.

Advertisement
I didn’t ask him, her, them, it anything. Lol.

I asked a general question to the board as to when did the stadium attendance #’s become juked, b/c clearly what’s announced vs. who’s there is different. I was literally asking a ?, w/ many discussions that came about from it. They came in today & just started disagreeing. Lol.
Well back in the days they counted the turn syles. People actually walking in the stadium so it's butts in the seats. But when TV ratings became so integral for marketing purposes etc. The focus now is on tickets sold. When you factor in season tickets and ticket holders only coming to big games and not necessarily being able to sell game tickets in obviously sways the numbers. I'd say that was probably around the late 90s

it doesnt exist. tropical park is the closest youll get and that isnt walking distance but we already heard that they will pass soemthing that will basically end that pipe dream.

the one that TOC talked about is interesting. still not walking distance (look that entire area is built out now) but close access to highways i believe.

i think the best method is to see where your STHers are and find a location that best benefits the large majority. they have all our addresses so they can pinpoint it relatively quickly. imo, thatll prolly end up looking like w where were at now (in the northern part of miami dade county that has easy highway access for everyone to get in and get out relatively quickly) and convenient for residents from all three counties to get to. that appears to be a sticking point with CIS citing location sucks, but in actuality, a new stadium in a similar location is probably the best and most central for the majority of the STHers. it takes the same amount of time for someone living in FTL to get to HRS as it does for someone living in Kendall (give or take due to highway access).
Dark horse candidate could be whenever the unicorn facility gets built for InterMiami...

that facility is always 5 years away from starting...

obviously doesn't solve "walking from campus" problem...

but neither did the OB...

Advertisement
If they would've seen the Insane Asylum at the OB for the UM vs ND game in 89 they'd be stunned. Or the 94 UM vs FSU game. They think Hard Rock was Rocking for the ND game in 2017 which it was...but completely dwarfed by the games I already mentioned.
@HarpDawg I have no idea what you're disagreeing about, because if you think 2017 UM vs ND at Hardrock, had anything on 1989 UM vs ND at the OB you'd be out of your mind. Never in the History of the OB was there ever complete pandemonium for an "entire" game like 1989 ND...I'm talking from 2hrs before, till 2hrs after. Lou Holtz said he never heard anything like it in his career.
I've been to pretty much all the raucous UM and Dolphins game since the late 70s (except the Houston/Klinger game in 91) including the Dolphins/Bears game in 85. Nothing even close to the sheer insanity of 89 ND. 1994 had the loudest "single" play in OB history on Carlos Jones Pick6....but for a game in it's entirety, 89 ND trumps them all.

Well back in the days they counted the turn syles. People actually walking in the stadium so it's butts in the seats. But when TV ratings became so integral for marketing purposes etc. The focus now is on tickets sold. When you factor in season tickets and ticket holders only coming to big games and not necessarily being able to sell game tickets in obviously sways the numbers. I'd say that was probably around the late 90s

Mid 2000's homie as I recall it, when attendance became a factor in the criteria to stay D1. Temple was close to being dropped as butts in seats was what counted on your yearly average. It also allowed schools thay couldn't come up to the NCAA minimum to be able to be D1. That change allowed schools like the FIU, FAU, etc to join the fray. AppState was another, they expanded their stadium and usually fill it.

Definitely more people in the stands back when people love to point out the good old days. All you had to do was be there to see it and it never looked like it does on television lately. We agree completely on all of this.

It's also why sometime around the end of the 1st quarter to early 2nd they'd announce the actual attendance. It all had to be added up.

So ... by your standards, MIami isn't an elite program. Haven't won squat in 22 years and most of the Canes NCs were 30+ yrs ago.

I'm sure we could all debate this until the end of time, but to me there's historically elite or once upon a time elite and modern elite.

Modern elite to me is you've been good in a recruits lifetime or cognitive years. We don't fit there at the moment. The other, yes mostly.

Advertisement
The designers of this miracle dream stadium are the same people who designed SoFI stadium in LA. SoFi kicks the absolute crap out of HRS and every venue in the country in terms of innovation and amenities. If (BIG IF) this new stadium were half as nice as SoFI, it’d be significantly better than HRS. HRS really isn’t that great compared to venues in Dallas, LA, NY, and the majority of stadiums built in the last 15 years.
You're really using the newest $6B stadium as your comparison?

Dark horse candidate could be whenever the unicorn facility gets built for InterMiami...

that facility is always 5 years away from starting...

obviously doesn't solve "walking from campus" problem...

but neither did the OB...
not an option. that's a 20k or so facility which if it is going to be expanded it would have to go vertical which would interfere with the south runway at MIA which is less than a mile away (good run-on sentence)

@HarpDawg I have no idea what you're disagreeing about, because if you think 2017 UM vs ND at Hardrock, had anything on 1989 UM vs ND at the OB you'd be out of your mind. Never in the History of the OB was there ever complete pandemonium for an "entire" game like 1989 ND...I'm talking from 2hrs before, till 2hrs after. Lou Holtz said he never heard anything like it in his career.
I've been to pretty much all the raucous UM and Dolphins game since the late 70s (except the Houston/Klinger game in 91) including the Dolphins/Bears game in 85. Nothing even close to the sheer insanity of 89 ND. 1994 had the loudest "single" play in OB history on Carlos Jones Pick6....but for a game in it's entirety, 89 ND trumps them all.

Wait; now this idiot is disagreeing w/ u?? Wtf?

I’ve said it once, I say it again…the 2017 ND game was a perfect crescendo for both at the stadium & viewership.

1. It was a prime time, Nat’l televised game
2. Game Day was at the facilities
3. It marked a top 10 match up between two historic rivals
4. We were on a 13 game winning streak facing a ND team on a 7 game winning streak
5. It was NDs first time in Miami in 30 yrs
6. It was a revenge game for losing a heart breaker to ND in 2016

I mean it literally couldn’t be scripted any better…and it still pales in comparison to how the OB used to **** near rock off its foundation when ND came to town in ‘89. As a kid, watching on TV it left an indelible impression & motivated me to get to an OB game as soon as I was old enough. I wanted that action.

I’ve said it once, I say it again…the 2017 ND game was a perfect crescendo for both at the stadium & viewership.

4. We were on a 13 game winning streak facing a ND team on a 7 game winning streak

I mean it literally couldn’t be scripted any better…and it still pales in comparison to how the OB used to **** near rock off its foundation when ND came to town in ‘89. As a kid, watching on TV it left an indelible impression & motivated me to get to an OB game as soon as I was old enough. I wanted that action.
Pure Insanity....

Advertisement

Are you saying you aren’t motivated to get to Hard Rock??

Come on, don’t lie…

Not only that @Rellyrell ....2017 ND were only Ranked #11 and wayyyy overrated when we played them. 1989 they were defending NCs and #1 and would've beat the breaks off of 2017 ND....

That 3rd and 43 play was deafening. I was there.

I always have a hard time saying this or that was louder. Sometimes I feel that's dictated by how many of our fans are in attendance. I also have noted that as time went on, I always said that was the loudest I recall at a game. Time has a way of distorting it, at least IMHO.

Some other really loud moments in our second run.

Hester opening up the game against UF witb a TD.

The comeback against UF, when we took the lead.

Pick a moment in demolishing Washington.

Pick a moment in our usual thrashing of Nebraska.

Sometimes they'd announce other games of importance scores and I don't remember which one it was, but the crowd went bonkers.

I wasn't at the '17 Notre Dame game, but it sounded crazy on the television.

Advertisement
Not only that @Rellyrell ....2017 ND were only Ranked #11 and wayyyy overrated when we played them. 1989 they were defending NCs and #1 and would've beat the breaks off of 2017 ND....

Absolutely, but at the time of our matchup they were 3rd & we were 7th. It was blood thirst in the air b/c ND hadn’t been to our crib in 30 yrs. With that being said NOTHING can compare to ‘89 where we were cheated out of a Nat’l Title in ‘88 by horrible officiating, & like u said, they were the defending Nat’l champions, holding our hardware.

There’s a reason y HRS-bro fans continue to hold on desperately to ND 2017, b/c that was the closest feel to an old school OB game, but even that game Pales in comparison to numerous, insane games at the OB.

That 3rd and 43 play was deafening. I was there.

I always have a hard time saying this or that was louder. Sometimes I feel that's dictated by how many of our fans are in attendance. I also have noted that as time went on, I always said that was the loudest I recall at a game. Time has a way of distorting it, at least IMHO.

Some other really loud moments in our second run.

Hester opening up the game against UF witb a TD.

The comeback against UF, when we took the lead.

Pick a moment in demolishing Washington.

Pick a moment in our usual thrashing of Nebraska.

Sometimes they'd announce other games of importance scores and I don't remember which one it was, but the crowd went bonkers.

I wasn't at the '17 Notre Dame game, but it sounded crazy on the television.
I was at 2017 and sat with Tony Fitzpatrick the entire game. 2017 had absolutely nothing on 89....

Absolutely, but at the time of our matchup they were 3rd & we were 7th. It was blood thirst in the air b/c ND hadn’t been to our crib in 30 yrs. With that being said NOTHING can compare to ‘89 where we were cheated out of a Nat’l Title in ‘88 by horrible officiating, & like u said, they were the defending Nat’l champions, holding our hardware.

There’s a reason y HRS-bro fans continue to hold on desperately to ND 2017, b/c that was the closest feel to an old school OB game, but even that game Pales in comparison to numerous, insane games at the OB.
Even the UF game in 2003 was as loud, if not louder than 2017 ND. But as far as one singular play, I never once heard the noise for a solid 3 to 4 mins on Carlos Jones pick6 vs FSU in 94. The crowd was already in a frenzy when Lang and Sapp sacked Kanell the play before. And the OB went bonkers the second Los picked it off.....But the SECOND he crossed the Goal line it sounded like the Ole Girl was coming down.

I was at 2017 and sat with Tony Fitzpatrick the entire game. 2017 had absolutely nothing on 89....

Bro, I still remember the play by play getting cut in & out as the fans roared over the telecast! I’m not taking anything away from 2017; wish I was there instead of watching from home, but the chills I got from ‘89 dang near tattoo’d my body as a 7 yr old! Lol

Advertisement
Back