MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Amen! I do recall not the greatest crowds at the OB for games like Rutgers but it nowhere as bad as we see at the Hard Rock and thats against bowl teams. Every game it looks really bad
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Advertisement
If they would've seen the Insane Asylum at the OB for the UM vs ND game in 89 they'd be stunned. Or the 94 UM vs FSU game. They think Hard Rock was Rocking for the ND game in 2017 which it was...but completely dwarfed by the games I already mentioned.
I'm saw them all.

The ND game at HRS was the closest thing to those days. Obviously the OB will never be duplicated but vor that night and even the VT game that year it felt quite nice.

I just can't get over the fans who think the OB had better attendance. It's either they weren't born yet or they don't remember. I had the upper west endzone to myself many games.

You do realize the OB held more than what HRS currently holds and if we still played there it would look even worse. HRS has been as loud as any stadium in the country.
You do realize I said to build a smaller stadium that we can better fill.

Uhh the majority of season ticket holders live north of Miami.

Would be interested to learn what the breakdown, percentage-wise, would be from Dade, Broward and PB, respectively, as well as the rest of Florida and out of state.

Anybody know or have a good estimate?

Also, how many season-ticket holders have we averaged over the last few years?

Advertisement
Also something of note, an express train to hard rock would take 25/30 minutes from campus. That time would be as less than the OB site/ equal with tropical park with all the traffic. Building closer to campus/ Miami isn’t the only way to bring people “closer” to the stadium

Advertisement
Seems to me that the entire conversation related to the stadium issue is fan experience vs program health. Each have valid reasons for preference.

Fans: chair upgrades, Luxury suites, parking, facilities, (for some) closer to broward/PB

Players: I briefly spoke to Portis, Reed and Sean Taylor about it in 07 and they were devestated.

Results: no dolphin or canes team has won it all or come close since moving to Joe Robbie.

Programs recruit against us hard due to the “rented” stadium virtually an hour from campus.

If you live anywhere south of Miami Beach, Joe Robbie has always been a DUI adventure zone for many.

I sit at club level every year and am a green lot snob. I love it. Very comfortable, great food options and beautiful stadium.

Would I trade that for a closer stadium that actually feels like it’s in the real Miami? Renew our team identity much like the Miami Heat?

IN A HEARTBEAT.

Do I think it will happen? Not for a while if at all. But if it does I think it would be great for the players, program and greater Miami fans.

That and returning to Nike (adidas contract is up this year) + using only black cleats/socks + signing Noel Divine & Patrick Peterson (wink)
the bold is a personal problem and not HRS fault. if you want to drink at games where youre inevitably drinking to get over the legal limit, find a DD to come w you or uber. idgaf about location and drunk driving.

the heat have always had a strong fanbase the moment pat came and really took off when wade and shaq won in 06. that first title happened when most fans were in HS/college that are now their season ticket holders. it created fans for life. you can ask their VP of marketing bc its his own words. even w the heat, the place is empty when the team allowed wade to walk and we were mediocre until jimmy came and rescued us. miami will always be a win and we will come market. it will never be a die hard sports market even for the heat. the best thing we could do is turn the hard rock miami college gameday exp into a party. SFL likes a party. its why SFL does events better than anyone but does the gameday exp worse. make it an event. throw a huge party instead of traditional tailgating. turn the inside of the stadium into a nightclub feel where everyone wants to be apart of the experience. have VIP areas where you can mingle, party, and maybe catch a game bc SFL mostly doesnt care about the product, they just want to be seen (you really think we have a million F1 fans here or is it the party that everyone wanted to be apart of). the heat have hyde where its basically a lounge in the club level. i liked the liv at sun life thing we did for a bit. something along those lines but not as expensive of a barrier to entry so everyone can feel apart of it. we will never be UF, FSU, LSU, etc. we are what we are. a pro team and pro market w a college football team that accidentally became good. we have a fickle fanbase that is more concerned about being seen rather than the event taking place. football will always be harder to attract the A list crowd like the heat do bc of the obvious (a lot of day games, outdoors, etc.) but it can be something more than it is.

adidas deal is not up this year lol. idk who told you that.

orange bowl beyond its history was a piece of ****. there was nothing nice about it. if there is a realistic shot to get the canes their own home, im in. that would be amazing.

also, the location of the stadium has zero to do with the fins and canes winning or losing lol. thats stupid and simply a dumb statement. its more to do with both teams being trash cans. the fins were completely competitive in the late 80s to early 00s when they moved to JRS. they went downhill after that. the canes were bad in the OB too (you forgot about the years following butchs classes?).

to the former players -- it would help if they donated a large sum of money to fund a new stadium bc that remains the biggest issue. the school will not be building it on their dime solely and the diff between miami and traditional college towns is land value. the value is higher than most places in the country.

Last edited:
What if they were able to secure the property and build a stadium but it was nowhere near the University or the actual city of Miami? Like, it would be owned and operated by the school and any profits would be the school's to keep. but it would be way off in Northwest Dade county.

What if they were able to secure the property and build a stadium but it was nowhere near the University or the actual city of Miami? Like, it would be owned and operated by the school and any profits would be the school's to keep. but it would be way off in Northwest Dade county.
Some how politicians will stick there stinky poopoo hands in it making forced deals .

Good idea but government would never allow it SAD

GOCANES

They have always based attendance on tickets sold at HRS. So if you buy a season ticket just to go to the FSU game (this is not uncommon) your seat counts as filled for every game whether you show up or not. They sell roughly 40k season tickets annually so even if there’s only 35,000 people at a game announced attendance would still be 40k+.
So I guess the point is, when throwing out avg. attendance, it should be taken w a grain of salt when trying to compare two different venues, correct?

Advertisement
Because it’s a college team and in an ideal world they should play near the college.
That serves zero purpose. The university has about 10k undergrad students. Even if half the student population attended games, which would never happen, you are talking about such a small percentage of total attendees. The argument of having a stadium on or near campus would increase attendance makes no sense whatsoever.

So I guess the point is, when throwing out avg. attendance, it should be taken w a grain of salt when trying to compare two different venues, correct?
I'm pretty sure every venue tacks attendance the same way. Maybe not 40 years ago but they stopped using turnstile numbers decades ago.

Advertisement
Serious ?; when did the attendance #’s start being juked for HRS/SLS/LS? It was clear that the number announced or publicly given for attendance was not accurate based upon actual bodies at the game.
a lot of teams in all sports do this. the marlins did this up until sherman took over and then started doing actual butts in seats. the heat do this too (if you look at their attendance all year, it says 20,000 even though 20k arent actually in the arena). most work off tickets sold.

a lot of teams in all sports do this. the marlins did this up until sherman took over and then started doing actual butts in seats. the heat do this too (if you look at their attendance all year, it says 20,000 even though 20k arent actually in the arena). most work off tickets sold.

Hmmm; I’ve noticed that at the heat game ppl show up late, even during the LBJ yrs. Also, it’s probably not best to say a lot of teams do this & then proceed to give me all Miami based teams. Lol.

Advertisement
Back