MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Would be interested to learn what the breakdown, percentage-wise, would be from Dade, Broward and PB, respectively, as well as the rest of Florida and out of state.

Anybody know or have a good estimate?

Also, how many season-ticket holders have we averaged over the last few years?
a lot of STHers for a lot of the teams down here come from Broward/PB. the marlins learned this hard way. canes and fins have the most out of town STHers than any of the other teams here.

canes prolly have a decent amount of out of state ticket holders bc alums will buy tickets even if they can't make it. though anecdotal, I know a few of my own friends that do that.

Advertisement
I lived in the OB too. I was born in this city you claim to know. please explain your great plan and expertise where a city and fanbase that has never truly cared about sports will suddenly care. our students actually care less than the students did 20 years ago.

"You claim to know..." Eye roll. One of the ways to really size someone up is whether or not they baselessly make assumptions about other people they don't know.

Ok, Mr. Miami. I explained plenty to you. And thank you for just making my point, things have changed drastically in 20 years, including student interest. Agreed.

Have a great night.

Last edited:
well im more familiar with miami based teams than other teams considering the teams I follow

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sports...ttendance-figures-speak-lies/?sh=282090ec2b2a

restaurateur Russell J. Salvatore made a last-minute purchase of 7,000 to 8,000 tickets - the bills did this years ago

ross used to buy up tickets to prevent the black out too (I went to a blacked out playoff game for the fins when we played the colts)

this is na old article but it explains when it switched

Appreciate the article, but there’s some context that needs to be drawn here by comparison:

“The reason – wholly done for accounting purposes for the clubs – showed what matters to owners most: money.”

So after reading this article, it appears #’s have been fudged for attendance purposes in the professional leagues due to the blackout policy; games get blacked out & that’s lost of add’l revenue, including revenue sharing.

None of that applies to The University of Miami. ****, most of our games r being streamed anyway on ACCNX. My point is, in trying to state “here’s the attendance at the HRS in 2013 compared to The OB in 2001”, it’s a bit disingenuous. Many of the figures that’s been posted since our move to LS, SLS, HRS have been inflated.

Using a single game from 2017 which I’ve repeatedly explained was the perfect crescendo, + using artificial numbers where it’s clear many of our games are less than capacity are not sound or genuine arguments for staying at HRS. I would rather hear:

-It’s convenient for “me”
-I like the amenities it affords “me”
-“I” like the color aqua blue

Some of you cats are forgetting some basic facts about SoFla when it comes to fan support.

1. SoFla isn't Pittsburgh, or St Louis or Boston. People don't just show up because there's a game.

2. Because of the above, UM football will never consistently fill a 60,000+ stadium, no matter where you put it. That's just a fact.

3. UM student attendance is laughable and always will be. Basing your stadium location on that is foolish.

4. You absolutely have to heavily factor in the amount of fans coming from Broward and PB.

5. Old saying is true. Miami is a big event town, not a sports town. It's the reason why the Canes rarely packed the OB even when we were running ish.

Advertisement
Oh boy. You're not following and you're kinda putting words in my mouth indirectly. Let me sorta bulletpoint it:

This is not a transportation discussion. This is an attendance discussion.

Most people drive to the game. AGREED!

Having a stadium in a park surrounded on all sides by densely populated neighborhoods will add incremental attendance to what would already come.

People within walking distance will walk. Because why wouldn't you? Much easier than driving, dealing with traffic, getting in and out. It will be a nice thing. You will see throngs of fans waking down the tree lines streets towards the stadium on game day. People will have tailgates IN THEIR FRONT YARDS.

Some people that live a little further to where the walk might be a bit annoying or unrealistic will ride bikes, scooters, you name it. Any new stadium is going to be designed to cater to anyone not driving. Charging stations, VIP bike parking, etc. Green initiative are encouraged. Why? Because for some people it's much easier than driving, dealing with traffic, getting in and out. It will be a nice thing that actually saves time.

And some of them will also take game day shuttles. When you have so many people living so close, you can move people from very close to their homes to the stadium very quickly. Those shuttles can make endless runs.

Whether they are walking, riding, scooting OR EVEN DRIVING A MILE IF THEY WANT TO, having tens of thousands of people living so close to the stadium will create a new group of attendees, new fans, in addition to people who are already UM fans, attended UM, etc. And again, there are 34,000+ UM employees and students who spend 5-7 days of their week on a campus 10 minutes away. So you now have a rich target audience with some skin in the game who logically live pretty close by. They can pop over for the game without having to drive through Miami. Converting more of them on game day will be a lay up for the AD.

Game day will be a visible, highly interactive experience that will extend into the neighborhoods. It won't be a thing that occurs in a vacuum in a pit off of the turnpike that you get a glimpse of while you are doing 80 up to Boca to see Aunt Rosie.

The people who are walking and driving are probably 95% incremental ticket sales, new fans taking advantage of something that is new to the community.

Again, most people will still drive to the game.

Having the stadium in a population center will increase attendance.

Fin. :)
Ok fine, just make sure I have a ramp from the turnpike or 95 directly to the parking lot, and an open air spot, no **** parking garage! What I think you're missing is the importance of the tailgate experience. And that goes for any college or pro stadium. Ex. Giants & jets play in jersey plenty land an parking.. mass transit doesn't work for football!

Appreciate the article, but there’s some context that needs to be drawn here by comparison:

“The reason – wholly done for accounting purposes for the clubs – showed what matters to owners most: money.”

So after reading this article, it appears #’s have been fudged for attendance purposes in the professional leagues due to the blackout policy; games get blacked out & that’s lost of add’l revenue, including revenue sharing.

None of that applies to The University of Miami. ****, most of our games r being streamed anyway on ACCNX. My point is, in trying to state “here’s the attendance at the HRS in 2013 compared to The OB in 2001”, it’s a bit disingenuous. Many of the figures that’s been posted since our move to LS, SLS, HRS have been inflated.

Using a single game from 2017 which I’ve repeatedly explained was the perfect crescendo, + using artificial numbers where it’s clear many of our games are less than capacity are not sound or genuine arguments for staying at HRS. I would rather hear:

-It’s convenient for “me”
-I like the amenities it affords “me”
-“I” like the color aqua blue
we've done the tickets sold at the OB too.

none of the attendance numbers are real tbh.

the fact is the canes will always have issues drawing attendance no matter the location. the fanbase is the problem the location isnt. its a fickle fanbase that isnt there to be a regular attendee but more so an event attendee. ND was an event. people showed up. FSU games are an event so people show up. duke, NCSU, etc aren't events no matter how good the team is (I sat in plenty of empty OB games where they were begging for people to show up). winning will help the ticket sales more and some attendance increase, but it will be hard to get people to show up without marquee games each week esp given the time commitment with football.

Ok fine, just make sure I have a ramp from the turnpike or 95 directly to the parking lot, and an open air spot, no **** parking garage! What I think you're missing is the importance of the tailgate experience. And that goes for any college or pro stadium. Ex. Giants & jets play in jersey plenty land an parking.. mass transit doesn't work for football!
people would rather tailgate than actually go inside. thats the event that draws people

Oh I am all for the tailgates amigo! This is all hypothetical, but just using TP as an example, there was going to be a ton of tailgating, in addition to the underground garage. Tailgating in a park? Sign me up. Plus as I may have mentioned the tailgating would extend into the neighborhoods like in many college towns. Pre and post game front and/or back lawn parties!

And the Meadowlands is one of the absolute worst experiences in sports. It's a soulless swamp in the middle of an industrial wasteland. Awful. But yeah, plenty of parking and highways. :confused:. I'm there at least once or twice a year.

Character matters!

Advertisement
we've done the tickets sold at the OB too.

none of the attendance numbers are real tbh.

the fact is the canes will always have issues drawing attendance no matter the location. the fanbase is the problem the location isnt. its a fickle fanbase that isnt there to be a regular attendee but more so an event attendee. ND was an event. people showed up. FSU games are an event so people show up. duke, NCSU, etc aren't events no matter how good the team is (I sat in plenty of empty OB games where they were begging for people to show up). winning will help the ticket sales more and some attendance increase, but it will be hard to get people to show up without marquee games each week esp given the time commitment with football.
Agreed, no doubt; hence, y I’ve advocated for a more suitable stadium for The Canes that sits 55k that can can expand to 62k vs. a 65K+ stadium.

Some of you cats are forgetting some basic facts about SoFla when it comes to fan support.

1. SoFla isn't Pittsburgh, or St Louis or Boston. People don't just show up because there's a game.

2. Because of the above, UM football will never consistently fill a 60,000+ stadium, no matter where you put it. That's just a fact.

3. UM student attendance is laughable and always will be. Basing your stadium location on that is foolish.

4. You absolutely have to heavily factor in the amount of fans coming from Broward and PB.

5. Old saying is true. Miami is a big event town, not a sports town. It's the reason why the Canes rarely packed the OB even when we were running ish.
theyre trying to pretend miami is something that it isnt.

Student attendance would be a lot better if they didn’t have to spend 2hours in traffic for every game, also to watch horrific football

You missed the point. The "center" of the city part? Huh? That was your takeaway? Who cares? It's about being near PEOPLE. Whether they are in South Miami, Coconut Grove, Brickell, it doesn't matter. You kinda made my point actually. Yes, if you put a stadium in a park in a neighborhood that is surrounded by RESIDENTS, people who live there WILL walk on game day because they will be walking through a gamey environment that will spread through the neighborhood, people will bike, the areas around the stadium will become part of the gameday experience. They will develop too. What we are actually talking about is so many people will live so close to the stadium, it will become part of their lives and they will take an interest because its in front of their face and it becomes a layup. That creates new fans, boosts attendance, creates a game day environment. GameDay at Tropical Park! This is cannon, not theory.

It's wild to me that some people think that putting a business in the middle of nowhere is a better idea than putting a business where people are. Zoom out!

Nah bro. I know everything about it and more. I'm a Cane through and through in every way. Got the paper too. Have lived all over the city. And I have some professional chops in this arena, actually. Most people can only see 6" in front of their face. I'm not one of those people.

So odd. It’s almost as if people have a real issue with the Miami team playing in actual Miami.

Advertisement
E4 tailgate 4 life. After big game wins during my college years, heading to the grove after and hanging with players crushing beers at Mr Moes, Sandbar, Murphys Law, Wet Willies, Tavern and 609 was a real college atmosphere. The local/player connection was there.

if you never saw Shockey & Sherko crush 30 beers at Sandbar 30 mins after beating FSU surrounded by an army of northeastern chicks with daddy issues, you never understood the value of the dormant college atmosphere that exists here.

College was 99-03 for me so yeah I got lucky. Feel bad for the kids today

It’s all good tho, maybe postgame the student body can take the after party to the Calder horse track bar! Maybe some top golf?

You people make me sick 🤣

All in good fun, fellas. Relax

Attachments

• 1671BAC6-21C4-43DA-8AA7-4550046C5318.jpeg
    1671BAC6-21C4-43DA-8AA7-4550046C5318.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Student attendance would be a lot better if they didn’t have to spend 2hours in traffic for every game, also to watch horrific football
It wasn't all that much better when Miami was DOMINANT and all the students had to do was show up to the Metrorail and ride it to the OB. This is something our fans, most of whom couldn't find campus with GPS refuse to understand. Even when the team is elite, unless it's a huge game, the students don't care. Want an example? Look at the basketball program. Even though L has taken Miami a HISTORIC ride, you can see that the kids only really care about the big games. That's a facility ON CAMPUS, all you have to do is walk over to the Watsco, and there are STILL games where the student section is half full, and it holds far less than what a football stadium does.

It wasn't all that much better when Miami was DOMINANT and all the students had to do was show up to the Metrorail and ride it to the OB. This is something our fans, most of whom couldn't find campus with GPS refuse to understand. Even when the team is elite, unless it's a huge game, the students don't care. Want an example? Look at the basketball program. Even though L has taken Miami a HISTORIC ride, you can see that the kids only really care about the big games. That's a facility ON CAMPUS, all you have to do is walk over to the Watsco, and there are STILL games where the student section is half full, and it holds far less than what a football stadium does.
The student section for basketball was pretty solid, it’s been a lot better than it’s been in the past, and we’ve packed the big games. As said given the options in the city we’re not like most college town, but Watsco + performance has made basketball games a joy to attend, and is a helluva lot better than football.

Advertisement
Oh boy. You're not following and you're kinda putting words in my mouth indirectly. Let me sorta bulletpoint it:

Most people drive to the game. AGREED!

Having a stadium in a park surrounded on all sides by densely populated neighborhoods will add incremental attendance to what would already come.

People within walking distance will walk. Because why wouldn't you? Much easier than driving, dealing with traffic, getting in and out. It will be a nice thing. You will see throngs of fans waking down the tree lines streets towards the stadium on game day. People will have tailgates IN THEIR FRONT YARDS.

Some people that live a little further to where the walk might be a bit annoying or unrealistic will ride bikes, scooters, you name it. Any new stadium is going to be designed to cater to anyone not driving. Charging stations, VIP bike parking, etc. Green initiative are encouraged. Why? Because for some people it's much easier than driving, dealing with traffic, getting in and out. It will be a nice thing that actually saves time.

And some of them will also take game day shuttles. When you have so many people living so close, you can move people from very close to their homes to the stadium very quickly. Those shuttles can make endless runs.

Whether they are walking, riding, scooting OR EVEN DRIVING A MILE IF THEY WANT TO, having tens of thousands of people living so close to the stadium will create a new group of attendees, new fans, in addition to people who are already UM fans, attended UM, etc. And again, there are 34,000+ UM employees and students who spend 5-7 days of their week on a campus 10 minutes away. So you now have a rich target audience with some skin in the game who logically live pretty close by. They can pop over for the game without having to drive through Miami. Converting more of them on game day will be a lay up for the AD.

Game day will be a visible, highly interactive experience that will extend into the neighborhoods. It won't be a thing that occurs in a vacuum in a pit off of the turnpike that you get a glimpse of while you are doing 80 up to Boca to see Aunt Rosie.

The people who are walking and driving are probably 95% incremental ticket sales, new fans taking advantage of something that is new to the community.

Again, most people will still drive to the game.

Having the stadium in a population center will increase attendance.

Fin. :)

Those same people you refer to - and I doubt tens of thousands will be walking to games from neighborhoods (you’re extending the circle out more than a mile) - those people will oppose a stadium in their neighborhood and vote against it.

Happy tailgates in front yards? Your spitballing went haywire.

Advertisement
Back