MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
I don't think fans are "adamantly" against a Canes only stadium. The better description would be more "realistic". Getting a location, county and city approval, etc. are extremely steep uphill climbs. But **** yeah, if Ruiz is **** bent on building a solid stadium, please do sir.

One key note - just building a stadium is not going to magically lead to filling the stadium or improving the team as a whole. Stadiums/arenas get filled down here when the team is good and teams are good with solid management teams who acquire the proper players and coaches. Somebody mentioned the Heat's success in their building. They are a good team. They have a great owner, executive team, and coaches. It's not simply because they are located in downtown Miami. ****, if just building a stadium in Miami would do such wonders, somebody forgot to tell the Marlins.

I have to respectfully disagree. I’ve seen the comments, & I’ve seen a good part of this fan base openly saying the Canes don’t need their own stadium & justify that they play at a “world class stadium” & then list all the events that HRS have held which is of no benefit for The Hurricanes.

It’s not just a matter of “oh this is a pipe dream”, it’s openly saying No, & we’ll make sure that it doesn’t happen.

To me, as I’ve said many times, is weird af

Would love it. Support 100%. But, I know bull**** when I see it. Ruiz has as much a chance of getting that thing built as I do.

I love the, "It'll never happen so I'm gonna be negative", opinion. You have nothing to lose in this so why not root for the guy and be positive? What are you, and all the other people on this site, protecting yourselves against by dismissing the attempt?

Just the mere discussion and visualization of Miami building a stadium is beneficial to the university. It normalizes the idea and maybe one day, even if it isn't Ruiz, we will get a stadium.

It is wild to me how many people are straight up against Miami having their own stadium.

There’s a big difference between being against the stadium, which I am not, and understanding the reality of the situation. I hope Ruiz continues to try to build a stadium, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for him to try, I just don’t see the logistics of it ever happening.

Apparently, some people can’t understand the difference between wanting something, and realizing the almost insurmountable obstacles that would have to be overcome.

Anyone that actually understands, not only the environment politically in South Florida, but the actual geography, would agree that building a stadium is a Herculean task.

If he can build one fine, but I have yet to see a plan where it would be feasible. And by plan I don’t mean an architect’s sketch of what the stadium would look like, I’m talking about an actual feasible location and the logistical improvements that would need to be made.

And this is without even getting into the funding aspect, which is a completely different issue and complex, in it’s own right.

No problem though, I guarantee you we will be having this discussion 10 years from now about the feasibility of a stadium.

I am much more concerned about continuing booster, fan, and DONOR support, and continuing to improve the infrastructure and the development of a modern day top five college franchise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have to respectfully disagree. I’ve seen the comments, & I’ve seen a good part of this fan base openly saying the Canes don’t need their own stadium & justify that they play at a “world class stadium” & then list all the events that HRS have held which is of no benefit for The Hurricanes.

It’s not just a matter of “oh this is a pipe dream”, it’s openly saying No, & we’ll make sure that it doesn’t happen.

It's the "I moved out of Miami and its more important for the University of Miami stadium to be near me than near the University of Miami" crowd that makes me laugh the hardest.

HRS is a fine stadium. It was great going to the Pitt Game and having next to nothing open from a concessions standpoint and the general feeling of the water isle at Publix the morning of a hurricane…

This is simply our fans being our fans. They sound like a bunch of old people yelling at clouds making excuse after excuse like regulators fear mongering to avoid change.

Best of luck to Ruiz on his stadium endeavor and the chance for us to have our own home.

I think the issue I have with the Stadium is what else will be held there??? The Stadium will not be on campus so you need to hold events year round to cover cost and such along with it... UM will have 6-7 games there a year not including whatever bowl games are there if any....
You have Hard Rock right now for all Football events, Big concerts, Soccer and a host of other large scale events yearly plus Superbowls and College playoff Games ..
You have The Heat Arena, Panthers Arena, Hard Rock Live and other venues for Concerts....And you also have Marlins Stadium...Ok that doesn't count... lol...
Point being from a investor/Business standpoint there's really no benefit to building another Stadium... I know as a fanbase we want it, I understand that but for the money involved to build it there's no real value in return....
Oh I forgot to mention what Beckham is trying to do with getting a soccer stadium here... Look at the hoops and such being jumped through to get that off the ground...
As I said in another post if Ruiz is really trying to make it work then more power to him , but it's gonna be a real tough fight to pull it off...

This is just a bunch of people, screaming and yelling, without looking at logic.

Just tell me what the next step is, what is the next tangible action that will be taken to secure a stadium?

That’s the problem - porsters comes on here with their little emotional tirades about people not wanting a stadium, yet nobody can provide a logical pathway for a stadium to actually happen.

Ruiz rolling out another stadium sketch is fine, but what is the actual next tangible step?

When somebody actually posts about a next logical step, for example, the land is secured, or the funding has been finalized, or an appropriate governmental board has given approval, then we can start talking about it.

No, it’s just a bunch of emotional crybabies saying we need our own stadium, but not understanding anything that goes into it. Not even putting forward a logical plan or rationale as to how it’s going to happen.

I love Ruiz and what he’s done for the program, but he’s got to come up with more than architect sketches.

That’s all we have so far is architect sketches. We don’t even have an actual location that has been secured.

Once we have an actual location secured, then come talk to me. Otherwise, it’s all just pie in the sky.

Advertisement

Exactly. I absolutely think there are plenty of people like @OriginalCanesCanesCanes that are skeptical for completely justifiable reasons and will be intellectually honest brokers when debating this issue.

But then you definitely have the opposition that you've described. These are largely individuals with ulterior motives (many geographical as they live with me in Broward or even more north) OR they're just Ruiz detractors. The last group is especially annoying because they threw in early and hard that Ruiz would never put his money where his mouth was NIL-wise or AT BEST that he'd do it for only one year to get some "cheap" publicity. Soooo now that their stance on that front has become embarrassing, they lamely retreat to joining an actual leech/fraud on the UM front in Billy Corben and can only attack the dude via his stadium aspirations and their disdain of them.

There’s a big difference between being against the stadium, which I am not, and understanding the reality of the situation. I hope Ruiz continues to try to build a stadium, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for him to try, I just don’t see the logistics of it ever happening.

Apparently, some people can’t understand the difference between wanting something, and realizing the almost insurmountable obstacles that would have to be overcome.

Anyone that actually understands, not only the environment politically in South Florida, but the actual geography, would agree that building a stadium is a Herculean task.

If he can build one fine, but I have yet to see a plan where it would be feasible. And by plan I don’t mean an architect’s sketch of what the stadium would look like, I’m talking about an actual feasible location and the logistical improvements that would need to be made.

And this is without even getting into the funding aspect, which is a completely different issue and complex, in it’s own right.

No problem though, I guarantee you we will be having this discussion 10 years from now about the feasibility of a stadium.

I am much more concerned about continuing booster, fan, and DONOR support, and continuing to improve the infrastructure and the development of a modern day top five college franchise.
But what about on campus? They could do that if they wanted right? (sarcasm .... as we WILL see that question posed again 10 years from now by fans who have never set foot in Coral Gables).

But what about on campus? They could do that if they wanted right? (sarcasm .... as we WILL see that question posed again 10 years from now by fans who have never set foot in Coral Gables).

Any sane and rational person knows that on campus is impossible. Even the most ardent stadium proponents will agree with this. There may be a few that are completely out of touch with reality that think it’s possible, but not even Ruiz is proposing on campus stadium because even he knows it’s not possible.

Get the land first, then I’ll get excited about a stadium. But without a location, it’s just ether, it’s just clouds in the sky and a lot of talk.

Any sane and rational person knows that on campus is impossible. Even the most ardent stadium proponents will agree with this. There may be a few that are completely out of touch with reality that think it’s possible, but not even Ruiz is proposing on campus stadium because even he knows it’s not possible.

Get the land first, then I’ll get excited about a stadium. But without a location, it’s just ether, it’s just clouds in the sky and a lot of talk.
Any time I went to Hialeah Race Track I would think ... now this would be a cool setting for a UM stadium. People just don't realize that UM is challenged in any addition of new physical plant for the university as then are now pretty much forced to "reahab" existing facilities and go vertical.

Advertisement
Any time I went to Hialeah Race Track I would think ... now this would be a cool setting for a UM stadium. People just don't realize that UM is challenged in any addition of new physical plant for the university as then are now pretty much forced to "reahab" existing facilities and go vertical.

And I’m sure there are a few other places where one could visualize a stadium, of course, there would have to be appropriate surrounding infrastructure improvements, including roads and access. But then we get to the other issue, how much closer is it to the campus than where we are currently.

But again, when someone actually has the land secured either by purchase or lease or even verbal agreement, then we can actually talk about the next required steps to build the stadium.

My grandfather told me once that there will always be people telling you what you cannot do. He reminded me to ignore them.

I think the obstacle here is acquisition of the property in question which requires a vote by the persons affected in that area in Dade county I think. What this man seems to be on is a PR push to garner support for the design, structure, and use of the park for this exact reason. Many persons here and over in other territories seem to think its a matter of locating a piece of land, making an offer and then buying it. Break ground and go forward! These are traditionally called morons or ignoramuses.

I'm pretty sure Ruiz isn't a stupid man. He knows what he has to do to get this done, but it does hinge on a civic vote to approve it considering the property he's targeted.

Its not for us as fans to come up with the next logical steps. The only thing the FANS should be doing at this point is supporting and hoping that this can eventually get done. The only thing the FANS should be doing is educating themselves on WHY it would be a significant benefit to the program long term, and then continue to broadcast in every way possible how much you desire this outcome.

Ruiz is wealthy. He has chosen to take the lead on this, among other things. Its 2023. We are all old enough to have seen influential people with money accomplish seemingly impossible things in this country. I saw a basketball arena go up right in the middle of downtown Brooklyn against significant odds and opposition. Yes I understand it is completely different, from the infrastructure (subways), land needed vs a football stadium but there was significant opposition nonetheless.

Root for the man and lets hope that money can buy very intelligent people, with the means and resources to accomplish the “impossible.”

Advertisement
I love the, "It'll never happen so I'm gonna be negative", opinion. You have nothing to lose in this so why not root for the guy and be positive? What are you, and all the other people on this site, protecting yourselves against by dismissing the attempt?

Just the mere discussion and visualization of Miami building a stadium is beneficial to the university. It normalizes the idea and maybe one day, even if it isn't Ruiz, we will get a stadium.
Being realistic is not being negative.

I’d love to see a new stadium. I’d be lining up for tickets. I’m simply saying this particular idea has no chance to succeed. Would love to be wrong.

I think the issue I have with the Stadium is what else will be held there??? The Stadium will not be on campus so you need to hold events year round to cover cost and such along with it... UM will have 6-7 games there a year not including whatever bowl games are there if any....
You have Hard Rock right now for all Football events, Big concerts, Soccer and a host of other large scale events yearly plus Superbowls and College playoff Games ..
You have The Heat Arena, Panthers Arena, Hard Rock Live and other venues for Concerts....And you also have Marlins Stadium...Ok that doesn't count... lol...
Point being from a investor/Business standpoint there's really no benefit to building another Stadium... I know as a fanbase we want it, I understand that but for the money involved to build it there's no real value in return....
Oh I forgot to mention what Beckham is trying to do with getting a soccer stadium here... Look at the hoops and such being jumped through to get that off the ground...
As I said in another post if Ruiz is really trying to make it work then more power to him , but it's gonna be a real tough fight to pull it off...

Real ?; why is this ur concern? And I’m not being an a-hole, vs. curious.

Again, as a Miami Hurricanes fan, whatever HRS hold in an addition to renting a stadium to us is of no consequence & benefit. I’m just curious as to this position.

There will never be another stadium built in this country without a mixed use component. Residential, Dining/Entertainment/retail, Hotels, Office, Education.

This needs to happens regardless of whether he succeeds or not, rarely do things happen on the first attempt. The Wright brothers were not the first to attempt to fly a plane.

Whether this happens with Ruiz in 10 years or someone else in 30, I massively respect Ruiz’s efforts with anything stadium related.

Advertisement
Back