MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

I went out to scottsdale last fall and holy **** man. that whole pHX area is awesome. kinda jealous of ASU students lol.

Been out there myself a few times, including the Scottsdale area. Very nice climate is so different though compared to what I’m used to. I do like the way it cools off at night.

Advertisement
Just take the Orange Bowl design and build it to current codes with larger bathrooms and food areas. Luxury boxes can be added in, with a 10 year contract for users. Don't need a dome or retractable roof, etc. 55,000 seat capacity with a return to the real "West End Zone" and the other end zone open. Build it for less than $150 million. Let Miami high schools play in it like the original Orange Bowl.
reasonable IMO

Do people that want a Stadium forget that as long as we stay in hard rock, we have the opportunity starting next year to host as many as two playoff games per season

Do people that want a Stadium forget that as long as we stay in hard rock, we have the opportunity starting next year to host as many as two playoff games per season
they want to be closer to the campus where 19 people attend games from but when they look deeper into where land is by the campus, you end up 30 min away like you are w HRS Lol

they want to be closer to the campus where 19 people attend games from but when they look deeper into where land is by the campus, you end up 30 min away like you are w HRS Lol
That’s the part that I don’t get if you get a Stadium, you’re only appeasing the students most of which don’t know what football is!

Advertisement
The argument is that the only people who object are to the north of HRS and don't want to have to drive an extra 20 miles.

Their reason for moving south? Because the students wont have to drive 20 miles total.

dead for good?

239758CD-5E7C-4432-94CF-A5886A1F27FC.gif

“Conversation” was ongoing long before Ruiz and will continue until we are no longer one of 3 teams in the entire sport that doesn’t operate our own facility.

The argument is that the only people who object are to the north of HRS and don't want to have to drive an extra 20 miles.

Their reason for moving south? Because the students wont have to drive 20 miles total.
That's... not the argument. It's just a nice little jab that gets the hit dogs to holler and riles up the "it'll never happen" crowd.

Advertisement
There isn't. Not one. You're correct, and, where there is land, it will require a referendum, which IMO, makes all of this a non-starter.

I proposed one years back, but it’s slowly being developed so our opportunity is dying. Right behind the South Miami metro station is a 4 block auto shop/tow yard/warehouse area. Similar size to the Marlins Stadium parcel…

I proposed one years back, but it’s slowly being developed so our opportunity is dying. Right behind the South Miami metro station is a 4 block auto shop/tow yard/warehouse area. Similar size to the Marlins Stadium parcel…
have you ever tried to assemble property with 20-30 different property owners? also, that area is about 11 acres. you need another 100 acres plus for parking.

marlins stadium is about 40 acres and it is capacity is 35,000 IIRC.

in addition, the city of south miami WOULD NEVER ALLOW IT.

bring me a better option please.

have you ever tried to assemble property with 20-30 different property owners? also, that area is about 11 acres. you need another 100 acres plus for parking.

I’ve been begging for this since before the parcel that was red road commons was sold.

The Metro parking garage has 500 spots, with it being next to campus and literally next to the metro you could do park and ride at the other stations as well.

Include Red Road, it was 45+ acres. Right there for the taking, but Shalalalalala couldn’t see it.

Advertisement
The second main argument is there are guys that keep saying Miami needs to own its own stadium to maximize the revenue out of it.

The fatal flaw with this is nobody is building Miami a $500M - $1.5B stadium and donating it to the school. USC and the LA Coliseum is the example, but that would have only worked if UM had taken control of the old OB and spent hundreds of millions in improvements in exchange for day-to-day management.

I would also argue that even if someone wanted to spend $1B on a stadium and donate it to UM that it would be a much better use of the $1B to have it donated, invested, and use the investment earnings to fund NIL and on-campus capital projects.

I’ve been begging for this since before the parcel that was red road commons was sold.

The Metro parking garage has 500 spots, with it being next to campus and literally next to the metro you could do park and ride at the other stations as well.

Include Red Road, it was 45+ acres. Right there for the taking, but Shalalalalala couldn’t see it.
IMO, the city of south miami would never have allowed it.

Advertisement

Just have to wait until Bruce Sherman decides to move the Marlins out of Miami. Oakland A's move to Las Vegas, Oakland now has no football or baseball, that's a ton of jobs lost, they want a team back and give a bunch of tax breaks and incentives, some ownership group makes a big offer to Marlins owner. Baseball stadium will be an empty money pit, UM can get the city to pay for updating the football stadium, and move in sometime in the mid 2030s.

Just have to wait until Bruce Sherman decides to move the Marlins out of Miami. Oakland A's move to Las Vegas, Oakland now has no football or baseball, that's a ton of jobs lost, they want a team back and give a bunch of tax breaks and incentives, some ownership group makes a big offer to Marlins owner. Baseball stadium will be an empty money pit, UM can get the city to pay for updating the football stadium, and move in sometime in the mid 2030s.
they cannot move until the bonds are paid, which i believe has at least til 2049. see below.

"Professional sports franchise facilities tax revenue bonds, 2009E, sold for $100 million, to pay investors $202.3 million by 2049."

In total, the County issue bonds totaling $319,342,986 to help fund construction of the ballpark, which bonds are projected to cost taxpayers more than $2.6 billion to repay. good job miami dade county, samson and loria

Quite possibly you are right, but just that land alone would have been a great investment for UM.

However, water under the bridge. We owned most of the parcel that the Miami Zoo is on, sold that, and also didn’t buy doctor’s hospital when we could have, and instead built a monstrous center on Ponce.

Not a ******* chance. Site would take extremely valueable land near the station, in single family home area. Absolute traffic nightmare situation off US-1. Plus land is much more valueable slicing up and developing up. Also would take up the site of a decently large current affordable housing development

Advertisement
Back