MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
Had HKS had site visits at Tropical Park?

My god, of course. I mean, was I there? No. I also know the Earth is round, even though I never tried to walk to the edge of it to make sure there wasn't one.

Trust me, I beg you guys. I've built a lot of ****! I guarantee you HKS has been to the site multiple times (both the Miami team and probably a few key players from LA and possibly other offices as well), probably had some surveying done (that might be another $20k+ right there lol), and probably took a few rides in Ruiz' chopper to get a view from above.

Edit: Adding in that I wouldn't be surprised if they did some geotechnical surveying already to make sure the site is viable. $.

Last edited:
1h.gif

My god, of course. I mean, was I there? No. I also know the Earth is round, even though I never tried to walk to the edge of it to make sure there wasn't one.

Trust me, I beg you guys. I've built a lot of ****! I guarantee you HKS has been to the site multiple times (both the Miami team and probably a few key players from LA and possibly other offices as well), probably had some surveying done (that might be another $20k+ right there lol), and probably took a few rides in Ruiz' chopper to get a view from above.

Edit: Adding in that I wouldn't be surprised if they did some geotechnical surveying already to make sure the site is viable. $.

It was a simple question. No need for further explanation.

I’m in favor of having our own stadium, and whether it can be done or not is a completely different issue.

The only thing relevant at this time, for me anyway, regarding the site at tropical park, is whether it will be approved. You can make all the plans and have all the renderings that you want, and yes, you need to do that to “sell“ the concept to the public, but until it is approved I’m not going to get too hot under the collar about it.

A Miami-Dade County-wide referendum vote for residents is needed for it to be approved and go forward, and right now, the commissioners have either not commented, and several have publicly stated their opposition.

If Ruiz actually wants this done in a reasonable time, he needs to sell it to the public and to the commissioners. Doesn’t matter what we say, because while we’re all discussing it here, opposition is marshaling against it from local residents and groups.

i have lived in the gables for 25 years, +/- 12 minutes from tropical. of all my friends and acquaintances in the gables, NOT ONE will go to tropical. there is no need to do so.
A streetcar down the center of Miller is delusional but cyclists would absolutely use a newly developed east-west bike trail down Miller Drive between campus and a redesigned TP with some new eateries and fewer santero rituals at the park as Mr. Ruiz has promised.

Advertisement

I’m in favor of having our own stadium, and whether it can be done or not is a completely different issue.

The only thing relevant at this time, for me anyway, regarding the site at tropical park, is whether it will be approved. You can make all the plans and have all the renderings that you want, and yes, you need to do that to “sell“ the concept to the public, but until it is approved I’m not going to get too hot under the collar about it.

A Miami-Dade County-wide referendum vote for residents is needed for it to be approved and go forward, and right now, the commissioners have either not commented, and several have publicly stated their opposition.

If Ruiz actually wants this done in a reasonable time, he needs to sell it to the public and to the commissioners. Doesn’t matter what we say, because while we’re all discussing it here, opposition is marshaling against it from local residents and groups.

residents of Westchester recently coalesced to defeat a movement by developers to incorporate the area into a city. they are organized and motivated. they will turn their attention to save the park and IMO they will likely win.

to be clear, i am part of the organization and will work to defeat the development of the park into a stadium, for the many reasons that I have stated here.

A streetcar down the center of Miller is delusional but cyclists would absolutely use a newly developed east-west bike trail down Miller Drive between campus and a redesigned TP with some new eateries and fewer santero rituals at the park as Mr. Ruiz has promised.
exactly, they will ride their bikes from the gables to tropical to eat at one of the eateries. sounds reasonable.

residents of Westchester recently coalesced to defeat a movement by developers to incorporate the area into a city. they are organized and motivated. they will turn their attention to save the park and IMO they will likely win.

to be clear, i am part of the organization and will work to defeat the development of the park into a stadium, for the many reasons that I have stated here.

I don’t live in tropical park or nearby, so I can’t speak on it as a resident. As a fan, I would love for us to have our own stadium. Having said that, we really don’t need to get all worked up because unless it passes the countywide referendum, it’s not going to happen at TP.

Can't argue with this post at all. It's reality, particularly in SoFla.

I've tried to argue for the acquisition of private property, I think it's more likely to get done that way.

And...go out and buy a few houses. I realize that housing prices are high, but at the same time, the Miami housing market will not collapse if someone buys up 50 or 100 houses, or a couple of apartment complexes.

Advertisement
smh congrats on what's probably the first honest statement/thought you've had in a long while. I knew it lol

first? i said it months and months ago and i am transparent about it. i want UM to have its own stadium. everyone would. but not a public park that belongs to taxpayers and certainly not with taxpayer's money (TBD).

I'll explain as much as I **** well please, as you just did btw, and also I agree with the rest of your post.

I think this is a long shot because the city and some know-it-alls will get in the way. I also think it's stupid that it's a long shot.

But long shots come through sometimes, especially when there is money and will behind it and someone who is willing to push through. Ruiz certainly has the will, and as I've illustrated, he has already put some significant money into it. Maybe not significant to him (the cost of a QB lol) but he has some financial skin in the game already, as well as a TON of non-financial, and more valuable skin.

I don’t live in tropical park or nearby, so I can’t speak on it as a resident. As a fan, I would love for us to have our own stadium. Having said that, we really don’t need to get all worked up because unless it passes the countywide referendum, it’s not going to happen at TP.
There's a rumor that a handful of Broward fans are looking into a plan to harvest thousands of anti-TP stadium ballots when the referendum comes up for a vote. I think it's very doable.

Advertisement
smh congrats on what's probably the first honest statement/thought you've had in a long while. I knew it lol

Listen rokulika, if you can’t win him over, you better start working on the rest of the residents in the tropical park area. He’s an actual Miami fan, which is no guarantee for most of the residents that live in the tropical park area.

In any event, I would concentrate your efforts on your neighbors at tropical park.

A5C84DF5-5019-4CD9-BE0D-533C2A2A94D0.gif

Just a nice read on HKS x SoFi

And traffic solutions met w/ pros & cons

Last edited:
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes sadly I do expect for the opponents of the Ruiz/TP site to win this battle. My interest in a stadium on that site has as much to do with reviltalizing a once-great public park and the surrounding area as it does with our team having a home. Westchester is stuck in 1976 and If those residents (they're great people) are satisfied with the status quo of strip malls and general thuggery that abounds there then it makes little difference to me. I don't think they know any better. Parks all across the county have received recent make-overs and I'd love to see what could be done with TP, but if those residents love it for what it is (stuck in 1976) then there's no helping them.

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes sadly I do expect for the opponents of the Ruiz/TP site to win this battle. My interest in a stadium on that site has as much to do with reviltalizing a once-great public park and the surrounding area as it does with our team having a home. Westchester is stuck in 1976 and If those residents (they're great people) are satisfied with the status quo of strip malls and general thuggery that abounds there then it makes little difference to me. I don't think they know any better. Parks all across the county have received recent make-overs and I'd love to see what could be done with TP, but if those residents love it for what it is (stuck in 1976) then there's no helping them.

Wish I knew more about those people there. And I’m not that familiar with tropical park although I’ve been there a few times, mainly for cross country meets. It just seemed like the typical county run park, of which I’ve been to many for running or whatever, with a high school size football field.

Didn’t seem that big to me when I was there and it was surrounded by homes nearby, it was kind of a typical county neighborhood type park, bracketed by 82nd and the 826.

My dude, you don't get how it works. Your "points" aren't valid. You are basing your guesswork on the fact that this isn't green-lit and funded. Which is misguided. Please don't let this be the hill you die on. I promise you, you've got it wrong. HKS was certainly asked to use the proposed site in the sketch I posted a couple of days ago above, for a certain size stadium, with certain amenities, within a certain budget. Nothing is set in stone, nor does it need to be at this stage. It's a "proposed" design. Pre-engeneering. This is actually how architects come up with their best ideas, when they aren't quite boxed in yet.

(Insert my entire previous post here) and add that it's called a "speculative" project, which I think is where you're going wrong here. It doesn't change the initial work, and yes, every and any architect would agree to the work as long as they are being paid appropriately. Especially at the institutional level.

And here is where the argument ends (again), they already released basic design renderings months ago. Which again, alone, cost an order or magnitude more than what you think. Hours and hours of consultation, input, back and forth, brainstorms, consulting, design work, renderings. You really think they paid f'ing HKS an "hourly rate" that added up to $20k for this AND everything else they've done in the FIVE MONTHS SINCE THESE RENDERINGS WERE RELEASED? HKS' travel budget ALONE for site visits and meetings is more than $20k, I promise you.

View attachment 227895 View attachment 227897

View attachment 227899 View attachment 227900

You also think HKS has been doing nothing over these five months since the renderings were dropped while Ruiz has been telling everyone more work is coming? They have everything to base it on. They are designing a stadium to try to sell to the city and public. They are investing in that. Maybe it doesn't make sense to YOU, but you're wrong. Really, really, really wrong. If this post didn't get through to you, then good luck! But I PROMISE you, I know what I'm talking about here. And what you are saying is WILDLY incorrect. Go Canes.
Lol. Alright man. You might be right that the bill so far has been higher than my original guess, but it's not more than a couple hundred thousand, and it's DEFINITELY not "in the millions" which was my original point. You are seriously overestimating the scope of work that HKS has been engaged to do. (And I also still think it's very possible that HKS did this initial marketing package for free.)

As an aside, it's funny how the internet works... I work on major development projects for a living, including public-private projects in Miami. I know what I'm talking about. But somehow I get dragged into this argument with a stranger who is calling me "WILDLY incorrect." Wish we had met at a bar and had this conversation over a beer instead, brother. Go Canes.

you are full of ****e. now your focus is not so much on Miami having their own stadium, but gentrifying Westchester. GTFOH. it needs no gentrification. it is a decent middle class family neighborhood (houses selling generally north of $500,000). can the park be upgraded? absolutely, but it remains viable and useful to tens of thousands of people a week. a new multi million cultural center was recently built.

the condescension and tone of your statement is offensive to me, my family and tens of thousands that live and have lived there. comepinga!

Last edited:
Lol. Alright man. You might be right that the bill so far has been higher than my original guess, but it's not more than a couple hundred thousand, and it's DEFINITELY not "in the millions" which was my original point. You are seriously overestimating the scope of work that HKS has been engaged to do. (And I also still think it's very possible that HKS did this initial marketing package for free.)

As an aside, it's funny how the internet works... I work on major development projects for a living, including public-private projects in Miami. I know what I'm talking about. But somehow I get dragged into this argument with a stranger who is calling me "WILDLY incorrect." Wish we had met at a bar and had this conversation over a beer instead, brother. Go Canes.

This is a real man's response, I appreciate you getting into some of the details on the billing.

I agree, millions have not been laid out, yet. If you go back to things I've posted earlier, I think that the Hammes bill for the partial Orange Bowl work was about $2 million, and that was over a 2 year period (20 years ago).

I'd say this...I belive that this firm has done enough basic work to figure out "can we dig, what will the site support" etc. Nothing as advanced as "where are all the underground pipes and cables that need to be relocated".

I respect the feelings of @rsa coral gables on the issue of public land. He is not some mindless "it's never gonna happen, bro" bro. He does not mock those of us who want UM to have a home of its own.

All I would say...and this goes out to anyone...is to travel to some OTHER stadiums, not just in Florida, but around this country. Look at what is possible. Look at what has been done. I will be the first to say "tailgating will be closer to what it was at the Orange Bowl than Hard Rock" no matter where we are able to build (and if we are able to build).

After going to games at UNC and other nice campuses, I'd love to see SOME campus-centric alumni events and tailgating, even if that would involve taking shuttles or driving one's self to a parking garage later.

For people on both sides, keep an open mind. I have walked VAST DISTANCES (Clemson) and found some interesting tailgating solutions (F$U, GaTech, among others). If we find a solution, it may be different from what we've known before. Such is life.

Advertisement
Back