Off-Topic Meat knives

Andrew

All American
Administrator
I smoke a lot of meat and I am looking to purchase a good set of knives. What say you CIS?

Advertisement
Take a look at LT Wright Knives. The Camp Kitchen set is nice and I find the Large Pouter really useful. Depending on how big you go, the Traveller is awesome, too.

My son in law has a set of Wusthofs that I seriously lust after.

Also, we need pics.

Advertisement
My son in law has a set of Wusthofs that I seriously lust after.

Also, we need pics.
Believe those are the ones Gordon Ramsey uses but he's been on FB peddling Hexclad Knives as the best. Weird, you'd think a chef who is one of the most recognizable brands in the business would use the best knives in his kitchen but I suppose not.

Believe those are the ones Gordon Ramsey uses but he's been on FB peddling Hexclad Knives as the best. Weird, you'd think a chef who is one of the most recognizable brands in the business would use the best knives in his kitchen but I suppose not.
I'd probably go with what he uses rather than what he hawks.

Advertisement
At some point you likely run into a "versus" discussion. Probably with these two manufacturers. Good luck.

Been using both since 81....There are None better....Couldn't care less what Ramsey peddles....Even the Master Chefs at CIA used them....

I have the Zwilling Pro S and I have never looked back. Go to bed bath and beyond and get that 20% discount. They have all of them. German knives are good with meats with bones. Japanese are harder so they are better for boneless and veggies. Germans are for me better all-around.

Advertisement
Don’t bother with sets, honestly. I would also read a lot. Check out Reddit chefknives sub. I went down the Japanese carbon steel rabbit hole and couldn’t be happier with my white and blue carbon steel knives. Have a 210mm wa-guyto and a 75mm petty knife.

My recommendation: don’t buy a set and focus instead on what you need (ie a chef knife, petty, etc). From there, do research on knives. Do you want a simple one that requires minimal upkeep and you can throw it in the dishwasher? Maybe a basic stainless steel will work for you. Or, do you want a knife that requires some care and is sharp as ****? Lastly, get yourself a whetstone and learn how to sharpen your own knives.

Great advice everyone. I have been watching YouTube videos and it looks like the question is Japanese or German. What got my started with all of this was the need for a new boning knife to trim brisket but I also don't want to be all over the place with my knives. Wusthof seems to be on everyones list so it is probably a matter of choosing between some of those knives and another brand. I don't mind buying knives that require more care and can't go in the dishwasher, I can always use my cheaper knives when I am cooking something cheap on a Tuesday night.

Advertisement
I smoke a lot of meat and I am looking to purchase a good set of knives. What say you CIS?

@Andrew when you’re ready.

Been using both since 81....There are None better....Couldn't care less what Ramsey peddles....Even the Master Chefs at CIA used them....
Are the master chefs at CIA considered to be the greatest chefs alive? Like they are better than Jamie Oliver, Musk, Ramsey, etc? and better than the chefs at Per Se, Masa, Le Bernardin, etc?

Are the master chefs at CIA considered to be the greatest chefs alive? Like they are better than Jamie Oliver, Musk, Ramsey, etc? and better than the chefs at Per Se, Masa, Le Bernardin, etc?
Lol at Oliver...or Musk ...The CIA Executive Chefs are the Best of the Best. Regardless of their Country. Thomas Keller is without question, the Best Chef in America, Period....His restaurant in California is considered the best as well (The French Laundry)...Alain Duccase is right up there as well...The CIA has an entire Staff of Top Notch Executive Chefs from many different countries....Ramsey is Top Notch...but I'm not crazy about him. Kellers creations are absolutely Mind Blowing.

Lol at Oliver...or Musk ...The CIA Executive Chefs are the Best of the Best. Regardless of their Country. Thomas Keller is without question, the Best Chef in America, Period....His restaurant in California is considered the best as well (The French Laundry)...Alain Duccase is right up there as well...The CIA has an entire Staff of Top Notch Executive Chefs from many different countries....Ramsey is Top Notch...but I'm not crazy about him. Kellers creations are absolutely Mind Blowing.
Appreciate the response bro. I have been to the French Laundry a few times. Amazing place. So that makes sense. All the guys you named are the head chefs at 3 star places. So I guess the top CIA guys are mainly guys who are/were heads of 3 star places putting them at the top of the chef food chain.

Advertisement
Back