Off-Topic Meat knives

VICTORINOX is what I use
Cost wise this is the best knife you can get by far. I think a chef knife is maybe $35...or it used to be...

I have Henkels, Shun, carbon steel Japanese knives. They are all good. I use the Shun Vegetable clever most. When I cook whole pigs, I typically use the Victornox for bulk processing.

I rarely use the Henkels, but that's just because they are redundant.

Advertisement
Appreciate the response bro. I have been to the French Laundry a few times. Amazing place. So that makes sense. All the guys you named are the head chefs at 3 star places. So I guess the top CIA guys are mainly guys who are/were heads of 3 star places putting them at the top of the chef food chain.
Absolutely....At The CIA.....You cook for the public, as well. Recieved my Batchelors in Culinary Arts in 1981....could have stayed for my Masters, but I was pretty much over it...Lol...those European Chefs ain't no Joke (especially the French ones) stayed with my sister for 2 months in NYC....and did my apprenticeship on Captiva Island FL under Executive Chef John Colletta, who was no joke in his own right.

Cost wise this is the best knife you can get by far. I think a chef knife is maybe $35...or it used to be...

I have Henkels, Shun, carbon steel Japanese knives. They are all good. I use the Shun Vegetable clever most. When I cook whole pigs, I typically use the Victornox for bulk processing.

I rarely use the Henkels, but that's just because they are redundant.
In my opinion...Henkels and Wustofs have the best Balance and Weight....

Absolutely....At The CIA.....You cook for the public, as well. Recieved my Batchelors in Culinary Arts in 1981....could have stayed for my Masters, but I was pretty much over it...Lol...those European Chefs ain't no Joke (especially the French ones) stayed with my sister for 2 months in NYC....and did my apprenticeship on Captiva Island FL under Executive Chef John Colletta, who was no joke in his own right.
Appreciate the info bro. This is a topic I know literally 0 about, so its great to get the facts straight from someone who actually knows their schit. I believe it, regarding the French. I have heard Le Cordon Bleu is another one like the CIA that is considered very prestigious. It looks like being a master chef at the CIA is a huge honor, like being picked for an all decade team.

Appreciate the info bro. This is a topic I know literally 0 about, so its great to get the facts straight from someone who actually knows their schit. I believe it, regarding the French. I have heard Le Cordon Bleu is another one like the CIA that is considered very prestigious. It looks like being a master chef at the CIA is a huge honor, like being picked for an all decade team.
Le Cordon Bleu is Ridiculous...but Son of a B*tch, the French Instructors at ANY Culinary School are MFers....I'm talking Profesional Toughness. I have alot of friends who are both CIA and Johnson & Wales Grads....Unfortunately, and it pains me to say it, Culinary Schools have become Paper Mills....nothing like they were 35-40yrs ago.

Advertisement
Le Cordon Bleu is Ridiculous...but Son of a B*tch, the French Instructors at ANY Culinary School are MFers....I'm talking Profesional Toughness. I have alot of friends who are both CIA and Johnson & Wales Grads....Unfortunately, and it pains me to say it, Culinary Schools have become Paper Mills....nothing like they were 35-40yrs ago.
I believe it. They take their cooking serious over there. Thats terrible though. It is sad that once great institutions have now become paper mills.

Get custom knives from Tom Krein. He is a great maker who makes a run or two of kitchen knives every year. They cost a lot but you buy once And give them to your kids.

I believe it. They take their cooking serious over there. Thats terrible though. It is sad that once great institutions have now become paper mills.
It's terribly Sad....And to be perfectly Honest, some of the best Chefs I know didn't attend a Culinary School. They just were taken under certain Chefs Wings, and learned from them. Tough business nowadays....I tell all young Fine Dining Chefs....
Learn your 7 Mother Sauces....some people will say that there are only 5 Mother Sauces...but that's BS in my opinion...

*Veloute
*Espagnole
*Sauce Tomato
*Hollandaise
*Demi Glace
*Bechamel
*Mayonaise Sauce.......Learn those, and your on your way (In fine Dining)

It's terribly Sad....And to be perfectly Honest, some of the best Chefs I know didn't attend a Culinary School. They just were taken under certain Chefs Wings, and learned from them. Tough business nowadays....I tell all young Fine Dining Chefs....
Learn your 7 Mother Sauces....some people will say that there are only 5 Mother Sauces...but that's BS in my opinion...

*Veloute
*Espagnole
*Sauce Tomato
*Hollandaise
*Demi Glace
*Bechamel
*Mayonaise Sauce.......Learn those, and your on your way (In fine Dining)

That makes sense to me. I imagine learning straight from a top chef is about as good a training as one can receive. I am nowhere near your level of fine dining, but I am big on a good sauce. If the italian place doesn't have excellent gravy I am not eating there. Same goes for the other 6 you mentioned.

Advertisement
That makes sense to me. I imagine learning straight from a top chef is about as good a training as one can receive. I am nowhere near your level of fine dining, but I am big on a good sauce. If the italian place doesn't have excellent gravy I am not eating there. Same goes for the other 6 you mentioned.
The place I went to with my GF the other night "Bruno's of Brooklyn" was beyond outstanding. I rarely ask for the Chef to come out, but I most definitely did that night. We talked for awhile....Simply outstanding....

The place I went to with my GF the other night "Bruno's of Brooklyn" was beyond outstanding. I rarely ask for the Chef to come out, but I most definitely did that night. We talked for awhile....Simply outstanding....
Is it the one in Fort Myers? I have never been, but if I ever make it down there I will certainly hit it up. Just looked at some of the pictures online it looks spectacular.

I use this for trimming:
3C45E783-30A3-4D6D-9C0B-BE295CBEB0B8.jpeg

I use this for slicing:
45764A45-B19B-462D-B960-AD3E5D1AB88E.jpeg

Is it the one in Fort Myers? I have never been, but if I ever make it down there I will certainly hit it up. Just looked at some of the pictures online it looks spectacular.
Yes...Ft Myers...Not only was our food superb, but everything I saw going to other tables looked outstanding. A couple who were sitting next to us were also raving about their meals

Advertisement
At some point you likely run into a "versus" discussion. Probably with these two manufacturers. Good luck.

You would be hard pressed to walk into any German home and not find one or the other.

I believe someways back, the brands were "related" as they have very similar logos.

Just get the $35 Victorinox, then learn to sharpen. Then go down the Japanese knife rabbit hole.

Advertisement
Who were the noteworthy chefs you went to school with? You were probably right after Bourdain finished there.

My father's cousin was an instructor for a baking school that fed Yale students back in the late 40's. Any chance that was CIA?

Yes...Ft Myers...Not only was our food superb, but everything I saw going to other tables looked outstanding. A couple who were sitting next to us were also raving about their meals
Well if you say its superb I know its going to be amazing. If I am ever in the area it will be the first place I go. Thank you.

My father's cousin was an instructor for a baking school that fed Yale students back in the late 40's. Any chance that was CIA?
Not sure about that...CIA is a 5min drive North of Marist College...basically on the Hudson River....it's roughly a 2hr drive to Yale....

Advertisement
Back