Meanwhile, in Bama...

There were glaring weaknesses in Alabama's offense. They couldn't throw a forward pass. Miami came into the game with what was considered a much more wide-open and explosive offensive scheme. What the Hurricanes ran into was a generational defense and a great DC named "Brother" Bill Olivier,
the reason Bama won is very simple, our OL, period.

It was a miracle we made it as far as we did that year! Leon Searcy, Claude Jones and Kelvin Harris left for the draft leaving an OL decimated with injuries that had only one returning starter....
AND we had to convert a TE ..a fooking Tight End playing against two DE All-Americans
TE Carlos Ethridge had to play tackle against Keith McCants (who still couldnt read i might add) in a NC game. come on bro!

Advertisement
Gino said that because he was drunk the whole game. He routinely would play drunk by the way. It was an all around horrible game for us. But we know the approach to the game and coaching was a far bigger issue than any back end talent. If not for curry and Copeland we dish rag y'all. But hindsight is 20 20 and you guys came out to go while we laid down. Congrats.
A player from that team told me crazy stories of the amount of partying going on in NO that week of the championship.

With that active imagination, you should be a Heisman voter.
I was on the sidelines for that game as I was already being recruited... I also know vast majority of that team very well. If you mean Gino getting drunk is active imagination I'll simply leave it at okie doke. No interest in rehashing that miserable game any longer and my imagination as you call it is nowhere near as active as yours if you think those ****** *** QBs y'all have had throughout the years deserve winning any Heisman as they're barely relevant to their own teams and are plug and play...

We had a marginal run game and Bama put 8 in the box on every play. There was no time to set up good pass plays like the 99 yarder that gave Gino an NCAA record. Erickson was starting to get in cruise control mode. When asked what special planning he was going to do for the championship game, his answer was, "None, we're gonna use what brung us here."

And before you go getting too big of a head about doing something amazing, Arizona almost beat us with their Desert Swarm back in Septemebt of that year. You guys just looked at what they did and planned for it not to be raining.
VERY marginal run game with that OL and the fact that McGuire and Ferg both got hurt, leaving us with Bennett and L. Jones who were more fullbacks than true RBs. It was a mess.

Advertisement
So…just to recap:

Vinny threw the game vs PSU in the Fiesta

And

Gino was on the sauce during the game vs Bama in the Sugar

Anything else?

Advertisement
So…just to recap:

Vinny threw the game vs PSU in the Fiesta

And

Gino was on the sauce during the game vs Bama in the Sugar

Anything else?
Saban told Mario to call him daddy, but yeah that's about it

I know. He got exposed when the Canes whipped Bama I’m the Sugar to win the ‘89 national title.

I’ve found that that’s the Miami vs Bama Sugar Bowl that Bama fans don’t like to talk about. Lol.

The Curry years are not the stuff of BAMA folklore, but I don't have a lot of trouble discussing his time at the Capstone. It was mostly about his failure to win the Iron Bowl and big games in general and even that season we had just come off another Iron Bowl disappointment. Just glad we played Miami tough. But even Curry saw the handwriting on the wall and after that game was off to Kentucky.

Advertisement
We had all american safeties and cornerbacks last year. But, but, TRob was the best back end coach in college football history . LOL I never was a "Fan" like everyone hear. Good Riddance! Bring back the bartender who coached kids who made the NFL when no one thought they would make it to the league. By the way, he also brought in the 3 Safeties we currently have. Yet you clowns always trash Banda but made TRob the saint yet he proved nothing while here in Miami. Wake up and smell the roses. This board is filled with a bunch of *****essss

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back