Meanwhile, in Bama...

Advertisement
Are we really surprised?
No one should be. Coach Saban has gotten way ahead of a number of NCAA ideas in the past and the magic portal was certainly something he felt very Nostradamus about. Coach made it clear what he thought this would mean for BAMA going forward.

April 15, 2021
“We have thought about a strategy that we're going to use,” Saban said. “You've heard me speak about this before, but now that it is a rule, we're going to adapt to it and make it an advantage for us.

“I think what’s going to happen as you see how often in a lot of leagues, you know the good players go to a good team and the bad players leave good teams because they’re not playing,” Saban said back in April.

“So is that going to make the rich get richer? I don’t know. You can decide that.”

“I don’t think we’re going to have our best players on our team want to leave Alabama,” he added.

“I don’t think our good players are going to be leaving. But I think we’ll be able to get some good players to join us, when we have room to do that.”

Non-QB Transfer Portal Rankings (247)
#1 - Eli Ricks, CB (Alabama)
#2 - Kingsley Suamataia, OT (BYU)
#3 - Jahmyr Gibbs, RB (Alabama)
#4 - Zach Evans, RB (Ole Miss)
#5 - Mario Williams, WR (USC)
#6 - Jermaine Burton, WR (Alabama)

I don't necessarily see BAMA ever going to extremes, say Michigan State extreme, but coach Saban was talking about replacing guys in the magic portal with better players and that's what I see up to this point.

Advertisement
Back