McCray Not Looking to Redshirt

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Blanche Ely (Fla.) Terry McCray was one of his teams best defensive prospects and proved his value this past season as he had a terrific senior year.

“This year I had to play a little bit of rusher and linebacker. I had 19 sacks and 110 tackles on the season. The season started off bad we went 1-4 but then finished 5-5 and made it to the second round of the playoffs and lost to Dwyer.”

McCray is now preparing for the next level of his athletic career which is set for the University of Miami, where he is excited to get there.

“I’m very excited; I wish I could’ve went in earlier, but I had to finish a few classes. I’m very excited though.”

The 6’2 195 pound linebacker is set to arrive in Coral Gables during the summer.

With all the commotion surrounding the ‘Canes and what Al Golden was going to do, McCray was relieved to hear he is staying.

“Kind of a relief because he’s a good coach and the scheme he’s got going on, he’s really starting to make all the south Florida players come to Miami. That’s the reason Miami isn’t what they used to be because all the out of state schools were coming in and taking all the kids. I think he’s been a great coach especially through the rough times and the scandals, he kept coaching and the players kept playing.”

The Blanche Ely product has been trying to stay in shape during the offseason by working out with a very high caliber professional football player.

“Yeah I’ve been working out; I’m actually working out with Patrick Peterson and he’s gonna bring a couple linebackers down and their gonna help me work on my game and I’ve been in the weight room too.”

The Miami commit plans to be a rush end linebacker for the Hurricanes and has no plans on redshirting.

“I’m basically going to be playing the Jarvis Jones type linebacker. I think I can use my speed to beat mostly anybody around the edge and I think I can play basic linebacker. I’m going to push to start and play my freshman year.”

McCray has been speaking with other Miami commits in his class and is excited to work with them next season.

“I talk to Brandon Powell from Deerfield, sometime I talk to Nigel Bethel and Chad Thomas. Just our class we have coming in and how we think it’s gonna be one of the best classes in a long time. We think we can bring a championship back to Miami.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
195 lbs? He won't sniff the field until his RS-soph year, at best.

skai moore would like a word with you..

i truly just want studs who fly around and make plays..

im tired of seeing "seniors" looking lost and confused out there! id rather see these young guns like McCray and co. getting burn

im tired of seeing "seniors" looking lost and confused out there! id rather see these young guns like McCray and co. getting burn

If the kid comes in and performs well he should see the field, forget about his measurable & weight. Golden needs to put the best players on the field no matter what.

Good news on McCray...it was looking like he was goin to join his cousin Rashad Robinson at LSU, but now it seems the coaches have locked him up...we kepe one from LSU, now lets try to get TV commitment back and from LSU also

“Kind of a relief because he’s a good coach and the scheme he’s got going on,"

Not sure what to make of this statement, but I'm happy to hear the kids confidence is sky high. I hope he proves the naysayers wrong. Lord knows our front 7 needs all the help they can get. This class will deliver.

Advertisement
he made a good point about gettin florida kids again. this year's seniors were mostly from outside florida.

man I hope Patrick can help him out a little bit...Patrick seems like a great kid man he really has matured over the years...

Huge miss by SHannon

This ain't So Car.

Golden likes his LBs bigger. If McCray really is that small I'd expect him to contribute at most on special teams only.

Advertisement
man I hope Patrick can help him out a little bit...Patrick seems like a great kid man he really has matured over the years...

Huge miss by SHannon

from all the stories about his recruitment everyone says L$U bought off the family even heard that from gator fans, not much shannon could do

Huge miss by SHannon

from all the stories about his recruitment everyone says L$U bought off the family even heard that from gator fans, not much shannon could do

agreed. i'm not one to accuse players of getting paid off every time they commit elsewhere but It was almost too apparent that Peterson got $$

Kid produced and if he works his butt off this off season with those NFL guys he could contribute early.

Advertisement
How many 190 pound kids come to Miami and play rush LB? ZERO

I don't give a god **** what Skai Moore did.

In our crap scheme unless he get's bigger he will not play much his first season. He may not red shirt as Al is known for blowing RS's for no reason.

But I doubt he plays much. **** Figs and AQM rarely got onto the field this season. They were not used enough period.

How many 190 pound kids come to Miami and play rush LB? ZERO

I don't give a god **** what Skai Moore did.

In our crap scheme unless he get's bigger he will not play much his first season. He may not red shirt as Al is known for blowing RS's for no reason.

But I doubt he plays much. **** Figs and AQM rarely got onto the field this season. They were not used enough period.

Al definitely blows redshirts. He tells recruits they'll play as freshmen, which they do, but the entire first year is wasted on special teams.

There's only one game a year that we actually blow somebody out because of our defense so there isn't much garbage time to go around.

Huge miss by SHannon

agreed. i'm not one to accuse players of getting paid off every time they commit elsewhere but It was almost too apparent that Peterson got $$

Let's see, he changed his last name from Johnson to his mother's maiden name to Peterson, his father Mr. Johnson happened to land a job in Louisiana around the same time. Coincidence?

“Kind of a relief because he’s a good coach and the scheme he’s got going on,"

Not sure what to make of this statement, but I'm happy to hear the kids confidence is sky high. I hope he proves the naysayers wrong. Lord knows our front 7 needs all the help they can get. This class will deliver.

Easy to know what to make of this.

The recruits and players know a lot more about our coaching staff and their plans than anybody who ever posts on this or any site.
Any of us ever had a conversation with Golden?
Most of these morons posting castigate and criticize and know nothing about anything.

Seems like the players, recruits, former players and former coaches like Howard and Jimmy swear by Golden, and say he's the real deal.

Yet 100 morons demanding change and wishing our coach the worst are the ones who really know the truth?

Only in your internet fantasies.

Advertisement
Back