McCray Not Looking to Redshirt

“Kind of a relief because he’s a good coach and the scheme he’s got going on,"

Not sure what to make of this statement, but I'm happy to hear the kids confidence is sky high. I hope he proves the naysayers wrong. Lord knows our front 7 needs all the help they can get. This class will deliver.

Easy to know what to make of this.

The recruits and players know a lot more about our coaching staff and their plans than anybody who ever posts on this or any site.
Any of us ever had a conversation with Golden?
Most of these morons posting castigate and criticize and know nothing about anything.

Seems like the players, recruits, former players and former coaches like Howard and Jimmy swear by Golden, and say he's the real deal.

Yet 100 morons demanding change and wishing our coach the worst are the ones who really know the truth?

Only in your internet fantasies.

Show me results that back up your process, and I'll believe in your process. Show me dog****, and I'll think your process is dog****.

Hopefully he's telling the kids that there are some changes coming, or maybe he's convincing them that it's the personnel, and these kids can make the plays.

Advertisement
What defense does a team run when you have 8-10 ultra talented guys in the 6'2-6'4, 210-250 range.

man I hope Patrick can help him out a little bit...Patrick seems like a great kid man he really has matured over the years...

Huge miss by SHannon

from all the stories about his recruitment everyone says L$U bought off the family even heard that from gator fans, not much shannon could do

agreed. i'm not one to accuse players of getting paid off every time they commit elsewhere but It was almost too apparent that Peterson got $$

Let's see, he changed his last name from Johnson to his mother's maiden name to Peterson, his father Mr. Johnson happened to land a job in Louisiana around the same time. Coincidence?

Uhhmm... I'm pretty sure his biological father (Mr. Johnson) wasn't really in his life and his step father (Mr. Peterson) basically raised him along with his mother, atleast that's the story he tells. Your right about his step father landing a job in Louisiana tho...

I've followed recruiting for some time now and L$U seems to really 'appreciate' players who sign with them from SFL.

What defense does a team run when you have 8-10 ultra talented guys in the 6'2-6'4, 210-250 range.

We seem to be recruiting legions of kids who are this size pass rushers in high school, but asked to do things they stink at as OLBs here and not big enough to be 3-4 DEs.

Advertisement

Not sure what to make of this statement, but I'm happy to hear the kids confidence is sky high. I hope he proves the naysayers wrong. Lord knows our front 7 needs all the help they can get. This class will deliver.

The recruits and players know a lot more about our coaching staff and their plans than anybody who ever posts on this or any site.
Most of these morons posting castigate and criticize and know nothing about anything.

Seems like the players, recruits, former players and former coaches like Howard and Jimmy swear by Golden, and say he's the real deal.

Yet 100 morons demanding change and wishing our coach the worst are the ones who really know the truth?

Yes because fans are not able to see with their own eyes. Like a doctor never makes a mistake. Pilots don't crash planes. NFL coaches and other college coaches are not fired yearly. As the year goes by so does the standards of Miami. No D is not the answer, i have watched every single game he has coached at Miami, either in person or on my TV and he is not the answer. They have come here and gotten bling faith for 3 years, its about time they start earning it. I doubt it though

I've seen him play 3 times and getting to the QB by any means necessary is his strength!

I do think he will redshirt but he is a player. Not a great athlete but a **** good football player.

And don't tell me about size when the 2014 national champions had two LBers in there starting lineup who weighed under 220. ( Terrence brooks and Terrence smith)

We seem to be recruiting legions of kids who are this size pass rushers in high school, but asked to do things they stink at as OLBs here and not big enough to be 3-4 DEs.

That is an interesting point. Are you referring to coverage?

Not only that, most of them had their hand in the dirt 90% of the time in high school and aren't instinctive in the run game, either. I realize this is a problem with any defense as so many high school coaches stick these kids at DE and just tell them to get upfield. I'm just grouchy because I want another pure linebacker or 2, don't mind me.

Advertisement
I've seen him play 3 times and getting to the QB by any means necessary is his strength!

I do think he will redshirt but he is a player. Not a great athlete but a **** good football player.

And don't tell me about size when the 2014 national champions had two LBers in there starting lineup who weighed under 220. ( Terrence brooks and Terrence smith)

Having 220 pound LBs is easier when you are fielding a DL with monster DTs that eat up blockers.

That is an interesting point. Are you referring to coverage?

Not only that, most of them had their hand in the dirt 90% of the time in high school and aren't instinctive in the run game, either. I realize this is a problem with any defense as so many high school coaches stick these kids at DE and just tell them to get upfield. I'm just grouchy because I want another pure linebacker or 2, don't mind me.

Then maybe, faster HS Mikes would be better at an OLB spot for the 3-4 scheme. To me, a pass rusher's speed should help with his ability to cover short/ intermediate routes.

If you noticed in the Rustle bowl, McCord played several plays standing up as an OLB. Maybe the staffs goal is to get speed and develop them to be able to cover shorter routes.

he’s really starting to make all the south Florida players come to Miami. That’s the reason Miami isn’t what they used to be because all the out of state schools were coming in and taking all the kids

That statement right there is 100% truth from a 17 year olds mouth.

AUCane, I agree. That is what Valentine, Moten, and Jenkins are for.

For the record, I'm more optimistic then Pete. I think Hurlie doesn't let Valentine get away. I trust him completely with reeling him back in.

Advertisement
There is a big difference between 220 and 195. And lets face it, when is a kid really 195 if he says 195? He's probably 190 tops. That's pretty thin for an OLB in any scheme, unless he's being used as a hybrid safety/rover type.

I also agree we seem to have an overabundance of 3-4 OLB type guys. I guess some will eventually move to the middle, maybe others will be bulked up to become down linemen.

The scheme is not ideal for our players, or the college game IMO, but I think its going to look a **** of a lot better with better talent. SO many times and games this year, when we had players that were close to making a big play, and just got burned and watched the D crumble. Missed tackles, missed sacks, busted coverages. Im NOT blaming it ALL on the players and "talent" issue, I do think we got out schemed, adjusted poorly, and the scheme should have been simplified to maximize what we had to work with, but with a major upgrade of talent, many of those hair pulling type debacle's we saw this year, can turn into big plays on defense for us, and make a DC look a **** of a lot better.

AUCane, I agree. That is what Valentine, Moten, and Jenkins are for.

For the record, I'm more optimistic then Pete. I think Hurlie doesn't let Valentine get away. I trust him completely with reeling him back in.

I dont think this is all up to Hurlie at this point.

So many of our players needing to put on so much weight to play is a problem. They are putting on 50 lbs in two season. There is no way they wont lose your quickness.

Advertisement
So many of our players needing to put on so much weight to play is a problem. They are putting on 50 lbs in two season. There is no way they wont lose your quickness.

I think this was more a product of AG and MD trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and something that made things much worse. They wanted to move to this new scheme, and didnt have the personnel, so they forced the issue, having guys that werent really suited to put on so much weight have to do so in order to play positions they were not great at. Cornelius was an example of a guy who probably should have remained a safety. He got much bigger and ended up much slower. Chick is another one. Gaines was what he was, but honestly, if we dont lose EJ, Paul and Terry, Gaines would have been 2nd string TOPS. Porter was also always a huge guy, but I think they got him even bigger than he should have been in order to make him be our #1 NT, which he wasnt suited for either.

This is where I think the harsh criticism of AG and MD is very warranted and valid. They made a big blunder rushing to this new scheme. When they used primarily our old 4-3 in 2011, the defense wasnt that bad. They kept it simple and ran what our guys knew and were suited for. But since, they have been moving more and more to this new scheme, and its clear we dont have the personnel for it, and our guys are not picking it up. This was further exacerbated the last few years by losing guys who would have been starters or major contributors like Finnie, Paul, EJ, and Terry. For all the talk about the DL, IMO our biggest weakness was our LB corps this year. It was simply terrible. The DL was sub par, but the LB play was horrendous. DP is the only serviceable LB we have, and he's not suited for this defense either. He's much better going down hill and agains the run. He's not great in coverage. Cornelius, Armbrister and Gaines, though occasionally capable of making ONE play here or there, were on average simply bad. They cant shed blocks, blow assigments, take bad angles, hit the wrong gaps, it was a real sh*t show. And here again, its what you would expect from having to play your 3rd string LB corps.

Im hoping AG realizes that this isnt working. As many have said, this is a defense that is too complex at this level. This isnt the NFL where you can go out in FA and pick up the bodies you need for your scheme. Here you have to recruit, teach, and develop, and that takes time, and you only have these guys for a short period of time. If ANYTHING should be a huge warning flag for AG and MD, besides the OBVIOUS, it should be what happened to Al Groh at GT. Guy has always been considered a great defensive mind, and yet without the right players, the system was a disaster at GT and got him fired. I dont know what he's going to do, but I hope AG simplifies things and gets back to a scheme that utilizes the guys we have instead of the guys he WISHES we had. Either way, I think better talent is going to improve the product, but time is not on his side. He doesnt have another 3 years of struggles on D to "get it just right", if this D is a trainwreck again next year, the heat is going to become intense on him, and his career will be heading down the tubes.

Show me results that back up your process, and I'll believe in your process. Show me dog****, and I'll think your process is dog****.

Hopefully he's telling the kids that there are some changes coming, or maybe he's convincing them that it's the personnel, and these kids can make the plays.

6-6, 7-5, 9-4.

Any other results needed, or will you just ignore them as well?

How many 190 pound kids come to Miami and play rush LB? ZERO

I don't give a god **** what Skai Moore did.

In our crap scheme unless he get's bigger he will not play much his first season. He may not red shirt as Al is known for blowing RS's for no reason.

But I doubt he plays much. **** Figs and AQM rarely got onto the field this season. They were not used enough period.

Al definitely blows redshirts. He tells recruits they'll play as freshmen, which they do, but the entire first year is wasted on special teams.

There's only one game a year that we actually blow somebody out because of our defense so there isn't much garbage time to go around.

How many STAR players use up all of their eligibility? Great... so can we quit whining now? It may be the differnece in getting a recruit if they can get on the field in some capacity so be it. ODds are if they becomne stars they won't use all the eligibility anyway...

Whats to gain by having guys go pro as Redshirt Juniors... may as well be true seniors.

He's 195 now. Not like we're playing a **** game tomorrow.

Tony Musto will get him right. Get him in for summer and see what happens.

Advertisement
Back