McCloud

Something that crossed my mind in regards to McCloud and his starting role makes me think that this decision by Manny to continue to play him was not made irrationally, that the long term benefits outweighed the short term costs. Now here me out.

The question I pose to the board is this; How does it look to the locker room if you benched a team captain who returned to school for his senior season?

We complain about our juniors turning pro when it is obvious that they should come back for their senior seasons. We all see that McCloud is bad, **** the coaches see it as well. But what potential impact does benching McCloud now have on players who are draft eligible, players like Gurvan Hall, Gilbert Frierson, and Nesta Silvera.

I believe Manny and the coaches have to be delicate in how they approach this situation. McCloud won’t be benched, neither will Jennings. What I believe will happen is, Brooks and Flagg will continue to split reps with them. The coaches, now armed with a plethora of recent draft fails, and Zach McCloud’s senior year starting role as examples to help convince those juniors who need to, stay for their senior seasons.

Manny always talks about culture and it is important that the culture is set by the head coach. By keeping McCloud as a starter, yet splitting the reps, he is able to preach loyalty and that the best players will play.

It is a balancing act that can potentially pay off down the line. I believe that is what Manny is betting on.

Everyone has a role, see Udonis Haslem with the Heat. Doesn’t matter how long you have been around, sometimes there are younger players who are just better.

Advertisement
Two things..

1) This could definitely be a "Dyral McMillan starting over true freshmen Edgerrin James back in the day, game after game, when everyone knew EJ was playing WAY better" situation. My Butch Davis fanatics have to respect that comparison.

2) All the posters saying "play the best players"...This isnt a "Scott Patchan starting over Greg Rousseau" situation. Flagg and Brooks have been okay but neither have played so great that its obvious McCloud needs to sit. This decision isnt cut and dry.

For now, I am okay with McCloud starting until someone else makes it absolutely clear they are the better option.
Exactly. Ppl forget y scott was starting thuse couple of games was only because 15 had a injury in camp

OP, while I do respect your opinion... No matter what you put the best players you have on the field.

I agree with you

but I think it’s obvious to everyone and (hopefully) McCloud himself that he shouldn’t be starting here other than a STs role and maybe some mop duty time

Something that crossed my mind in regards to McCloud and his starting role makes me think that this decision by Manny to continue to play him was not made irrationally, that the long term benefits outweighed the short term costs. Now here me out.

The question I pose to the board is this; How does it look to the locker room if you benched a team captain who returned to school for his senior season?

We complain about our juniors turning pro when it is obvious that they should come back for their senior seasons. We all see that McCloud is bad, **** the coaches see it as well. But what potential impact does benching McCloud now have on players who are draft eligible, players like Gurvan Hall, Gilbert Frierson, and Nesta Silvera.

I believe Manny and the coaches have to be delicate in how they approach this situation. McCloud won’t be benched, neither will Jennings. What I believe will happen is, Brooks and Flagg will continue to split reps with them. The coaches, now armed with a plethora of recent draft fails, and Zach McCloud’s senior year starting role as examples to help convince those juniors who need to, stay for their senior seasons.

Manny always talks about culture and it is important that the culture is set by the head coach. By keeping McCloud as a starter, yet splitting the reps, he is able to preach loyalty and that the best players will play.

It is a balancing act that can potentially pay off down the line. I believe that is what Manny is betting on.
Well said. I must admit, if he’s building a culture of guys staying their senior year to....

Advertisement

It 's called playing on the come.......the payoff will be down the line....totally agree.

In all honesty McCloud has not even played that bad, most people on this board are over exaggerating on how bad he is playing , yes Flagg and brooks looked good in flashes but it takes more then that , he probably knows the playbook better because he’s been in defense forever , we always calling for someone to be replaced and when he is replaced by Flagg and brooks , we are going to be calling for the incoming freshman to replace them, it’s the same cycle over and over.
He has played terribly. No exaggeration.

Well, Etienne stayed. There were a couple 1st rounders that stayed at Clemson. Yet we have udfas leaving early.

in the case of McCloud, the two guys ahead of you were hearing they were day 2 draft picks. He wasn’t going to see enough time ahead of them so he chose to come back. He obviously thinks he can play so he wanted to come back. Diaz was ok with it, it just hasn’t worked out great. But Diaz did his due diligence of allowing him the opportunity to be a leader and get PT. But he’s done nothing with it and he’s obviously being phased out.
They have to play out their entire contract at Clemson.

Advertisement
We didn’t lose to Clemson because of McCloud and Jennings...

The team had less time to prepare for the season and the young guys are cutting into snap count 3-4 games in... at both LB and working in WR. Couch has also gotten increase reps and the Frierson/Smith situation is resolving itself on the field.

Playing the game with the Sr captain and the backer that has a brother we are trying to flip from FSU doesn’t seem like an atrocious concept.

Advertisement
I somewhat agree with everyone on the board...53 had potential he’s 6’2 great size for linebacker and everyone’s saying play the best players..U family our linebacker play is not good..I don’t if it’s the kids R the coaching..Pink and Quarter were average at best..don’t get me wrong I love all the kids on the team and thank them for coming to the U but they R not Doggs but U need a guy like 53 to stay around for his 5th year to help sell what Manny is selling ..53 can show the freshman the U way of doing things and for that Manny rewards him by letting him start and Manny and the coaches know 53 don’t have that it factor but he’s Loyal to that logo on the side of his helmet...it’s all about the U baby.

Advertisement
Exactly. Ppl forget y scott was starting thuse couple of games was only because 15 had a injury in camp
They don’t forget ****. They conveniently ignore that, repeating it over and over for the flock of parrots until it became CIS truth...

Don’t see the point in berating this kid any further. He tried his best. I blame the coaches for continually putting him in a position to fail.
That said... everyone then immediately started *****ing about the backups calling them busts!!!

Advertisement
Back