McCloud

This leads to the following question:

what happens if McCloud wants to come back next year due to this year not counting b/c of COVID? Does Manny tell him that it’s over or there is always room for leadership?

Advertisement
OP makes sense. Having said that, this worked out for McCloud if we're being honest. He got to red-shirt and gain another year of eligibility (potentially two if he decides to stay since this season doesn't count against eligilbility). But let's be brutally honest here - it's not like he put NFL dreams and opportunity on hold. I like McCloud, but I seriously doubt he's playing at the next level.

I don't know his degree situation but if I were him I'd come back again next year on scholarship, play some football and work on another degree while I can. He doesn't have NFL hopes IMO so maximize your potential while you can at UM. No knock on him as a person.

Play the best players, regardless of the situation. Great, he came back for a 5th year, was given a starting position and has proceeded to sh*t the bed.

If players want guaranteed starting positions regardless of how they’re playing and the trade off is them returning for a 4th/5th year, then see ya.
And this is why players shouldn’t give a **** also about coming back and just do what’s best for them Also. I think OP makes a go8d point that there is a middle road where McCloud needs to play some. chsnging culture and sacrificing isn’t just on players

Something that crossed my mind in regards to McCloud and his starting role makes me think that this decision by Manny to continue to play him was not made irrationally, that the long term benefits outweighed the short term costs. Now here me out.

The question I pose to the board is this; How does it look to the locker room if you benched a team captain who returned to school for his senior season?

We complain about our juniors turning pro when it is obvious that they should come back for their senior seasons. We all see that McCloud is bad, **** the coaches see it as well. But what potential impact does benching McCloud now have on players who are draft eligible, players like Gurvan Hall, Gilbert Frierson, and Nesta Silvera.

I believe Manny and the coaches have to be delicate in how they approach this situation. McCloud won’t be benched, neither will Jennings. What I believe will happen is, Brooks and Flagg will continue to split reps with them. The coaches, now armed with a plethora of recent draft fails, and Zach McCloud’s senior year starting role as examples to help convince those juniors who need to, stay for their senior seasons.

Manny always talks about culture and it is important that the culture is set by the head coach. By keeping McCloud as a starter, yet splitting the reps, he is able to preach loyalty and that the best players will play.

It is a balancing act that can potentially pay off down the line. I believe that is what Manny is bettin
I can see I am in the minority here but I see it differently. What do we hear all camp long? Find the best 5 O linemen to start. Now whats all the talk getting some of the young receivers in the game because the guys starting are struggling. Its the coaches job to play the best player at any position. Your best chance to win games is by playing your best players. Go back to last year when Patchan was playing in front of Rousseau. The talk was play Rousseau. Play the best player.

Advertisement
The kind of guys that we want to stay and not leave early, wouldnt have to worry about being benched.
Correct. McCloud got five years of free college at a great university. He’s the real winner here. And can get 6 if he wants. Work on a minor or a masters or whatever man. You won. No student loans. Great degree(s). Probably got a lot of tail in his years as well. That’s his reward.

McCloud has to be the most incredible example of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

Advertisement
I think the result of playing a guy everybody knows isn’t good enough would be animosity. These players work their asses off, theyre not going to appreciate charity snaps being given as it’ll eventually lead to a L.

Even more important tho is the message not playing the best guys, just the oldest guys, sends to recruits. These kids want and expect early PT if they can beat out the upperclassmen. Starting age over ability is a horrible message to send to high school kids.

Lol McCloud should take the Udonis Haslem approach.. But I agree with what OP saying. I still think players are always going to leave early at UM. They are taught at a young age in SFL “ 3 and out” . We will never have a huge senior lead team in this day n age. Just the nature of the beast. However, Manny preaches accountability and competition. There’s no way you should be playing just because you came back for a 5th year. If you aren’t producing, your playing time should be diminished. People’s careers are on the line.

Advertisement
in my opinion mccloud did not help his draft status by staying
manny needs a player that he can show improved his draft status by staying his senior year
i think if phillips stays next year he may be a guy manny can point to and say how he improved himself by staying

Meh, I can see it both ways, but let's not think we did him some HUGE favor by bringing him back. Where else was he going? He sure as **** wasn't going pro.
I feel like if we want to win, and win consistently, then we must play the best players, no matter what the circumstances are.
he couldve gone pro and not get drafted and miami would be down a LBer regardless. hes not very good but the OPs point is valid.

Something that crossed my mind in regards to McCloud and his starting role makes me think that this decision by Manny to continue to play him was not made irrationally, that the long term benefits outweighed the short term costs. Now here me out.

The question I pose to the board is this; How does it look to the locker room if you benched a team captain who returned to school for his senior season?

We complain about our juniors turning pro when it is obvious that they should come back for their senior seasons. We all see that McCloud is bad, **** the coaches see it as well. But what potential impact does benching McCloud now have on players who are draft eligible, players like Gurvan Hall, Gilbert Frierson, and Nesta Silvera.

I believe Manny and the coaches have to be delicate in how they approach this situation. McCloud won’t be benched, neither will Jennings. What I believe will happen is, Brooks and Flagg will continue to split reps with them. The coaches, now armed with a plethora of recent draft fails, and Zach McCloud’s senior year starting role as examples to help convince those juniors who need to, stay for their senior seasons.

Manny always talks about culture and it is important that the culture is set by the head coach. By keeping McCloud as a starter, yet splitting the reps, he is able to preach loyalty and that the best players will play.

It is a balancing act that can potentially pay off down the line. I believe that is what Manny is betting on.
Manny taking a play out of Sabag's 4D chess book. Noice.

Advertisement
I can see I am in the minority here but I see it differently. What do we hear all camp long? Find the best 5 O linemen to start. Now whats all the talk getting some of the young receivers in the game because the guys starting are struggling. Its the coaches job to play the best player at any position. Your best chance to win games is by playing your best players. Go back to last year when Patchan was playing in front of Rousseau. The talk was play Rousseau. Play the best player.

As an upper classman, you have to ask yourself this - is the reason I'm starting over someone who's out performing solely based on seniority? If that's the reason, that's entitlement, not earned.

It is a balancing act that can potentially pay off down the line. I believe that is what Manny is betting on.
In all honesty McCloud has not even played that bad, most people on this board are over exaggerating on how bad he is playing , yes Flagg and brooks looked good in flashes but it takes more then that , he probably knows the playbook better because he’s been in defense forever , we always calling for someone to be replaced and when he is replaced by Flagg and brooks , we are going to be calling for the incoming freshman to replace them, it’s the same cycle over and over.

Da fug!? Players don’t care if you a senior or a captain! You a bum your teammates know it. They see the bad reads and the missed tackles on film. They definitely want the best guys playing so they can win. The young guys definitely not trying to sit while this bum plays! This that participation trophy culture I be talking about. McClost HAD to come back for a 5th year because he was not going to get drafted. We changed the defense because this dude was trash and we gave him all the chances to be the striker and he could not do it. I said when seeing his HS film he should have stayed a DE!

Come on... do you think Nick Saban would play a guy to not hurt his feelings or even consider the locker room view?!?!? Is McCloud the best option to win a game... if yes, play him... othewise SIT HIS ***. This is big boy football. Play to win.
Yea, but Manny doesn't have that cache yet. Dabo is the closest next thing to Saban and he got some heat, outside from Clemson fan base, from startedTrevor over Bryant Kelly. Now they all sipping on some crow now.

Back to Manny, he's in midst of having a huge rebound from last year. Right now, he's playing his cards right with splitting reps between vets and young players. I believe the vets know what's coming down the pipe if they don't step their game up. We just need everyone to stay lock in on the main objective.

Advertisement
Back