Maybe the unsung hero of these comebacks is the S&C staff

ShadowSpring

Junior
I am not sure what is going on with our strength and conditioning program behind the scenes other than Andreu Swasey is gone finally. I do know it seems to be working. The nutrition and training programs are paying off. Our 190 lb new starting RB trucks dudes like he's 225.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
I am not sure what is going on with our strength and conditioning program behind the scenes other than Andreu Swasey is gone finally. I do know it seems to be working. The nutrition and training programs are paying off. Our 190 lb new starting RB trucks dudes like he's 225.

Thoughts?

I think there is a contingent on here that blames the S&C staff for the rash of injuries as well. Two sides to this coin and both are reasonable.

We are definitely a 4 qtr team now. Golden's "U Tough" was a bunch of bull.

We are definitely in great condition. You can see it in our DTs. For Norton and McIntosh to be logging the kind of minutes they are especially late in the game in crunch time and still dominate shows they took conditioning very serious. That second half defense (except for parts of the FSU game) has been lockdown and thats all due to conditioning.

We are definitely a 4 qtr team now. Golden's "U Tough" was a bunch of bull.

No doubt, I was thinking this while watching the GT and FSU games. Our ability to compete in the second half has increased tremendously over the past two years, relative to the previous coaching staff. This is something that you saw in previous great canes teams. Better stamina and talent separation in the 4th quarter.

I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that we rotate more guys. I know it drives some of us crazy when we rotate out our LBs all the time, but there is no denying the backups are getting better for it and it saves the legs of the whole team.

Lets keep it up, if we could put together a great 1st half with the second halves we have been having, we will be a very dangerous team.

Advertisement
I don't know why we have to credit one thing for the 4th Qr comebacks. It is obviously a collective effort that helped the team overcome adversity. From the head coach the water boys and girls, this team developed the physical and mental strength to be able to prevail the last minutes of games.

We are definitely in great condition. You can see it in our DTs. For Norton and McIntosh to be logging the kind of minutes they are especially late in the game in crunch time and still dominate shows they took conditioning very serious. That second half defense (except for parts of the FSU game) has been lockdown and thats all due to conditioning.
Agreed.

and our OL not getting pushed around....actually winning the battles in the 4th quarter against top tier DL at FSU was definitely an eye opener.

We had fans that defended Swasey until the end. Guy was one of if not the biggest cancers of this program for over a decade.

Advertisement
I would also mention the Nutrition piece of it. Kyle Bellamy has done a **** of a job. Got a nice little promotion too. I am guessing the recovery time and lean muscle mass has increased during his time here.

Some credit is probably due here to the rotation on the DL. Easy to stay fresh when we have monsters subbing in and out without a drop off in production.

Our S&C team has nothing to do with the big injuries-- Donaldson, Walton, Richards, Delaney, and Redwine. Our injury rate is no higher than other P5 programs. But whatever, porsters gonna porst.

Thoughts?

Kyle Bellamy adding the nutritional aspect to the program where there was none previously had been huge.
Utilizing and implementing a yoga program has also paid major dividends. Also people like Victor Ishmael who has been here for years, seems to have a rejuvenated pep in his step under the new leadership.

Advertisement

Thoughts?

I think there is a contingent on here that blames the S&C staff for the rash of injuries as well. Two sides to this coin and both are reasonable.

You’re dead wrong.

What is reasonable about blaming them for the injuries? There is no reasonable explanation, logic, or scintilla of evidence that puts any kind of blame on the S&C staff for injuries that are just part of playing football.

It literally is retarded to do that. It’s people that have no clue about medicine, science, or rational thought that invent this form of voodoo thinking in their heads.

Thoughts?

You’re dead wrong.

What is reasonable about blaming them for the injuries? There is no reasonable explanation, logic, or scintilla of evidence that puts any kind of blame on the S&C staff for injuries that are just part of playing football.

It literally is retarded to do that. It’s people that have no clue about medicine, science, or rational thought that invent this form of voodoo thinking in their heads.

S&C programs reduce injuries...conditioning...that's what the "c" stands for.

Advertisement
The emphasis on bulk and relatively static strength only from the previous regime is out Circulo-respiratory strength in.

I will have to disagree, when Shannon was here I saw guys in the 4th quarter "fly'n around, you know, makin' plays".

If you want to pin an injury on the S&C staff, you could start with Richards' hammy. If you want to pin a broken or sprained ankle on S&C, you probably think 9/11 was an inside job.

Injuries happen in football. The job of S&C is to help get guys physically ready to perform, at a high level, for extended periods of time. Rehabbing injuries and improving flexibility and muscle and joint stability is part of that too.

The strength and conditioning part is easy for all of us to see. The other side, well if anyone could scientifically evaluate it or prove it, the NE Patriots would never see another injury. Yes, S&C plays a role, but injuries are mostly luck, or individual. Blaming the S&C staff and not giving them any credit for the improved 2nd half and 4th quarter performance just goes along with the other criticisms we're seeing that are either overly simplistic, or just plain indicative of a greater agenda.

Advertisement
Back