Maybe the unsung hero of these comebacks is the S&C staff

S&C definitely a major upgrade over GoRlden, but what's with our OL being unable to generate any push. Feels like we haven't had a dominant front 5 since Jason Fox and Orlando Franklin were on the team

Advertisement
I am not sure what is going on with our strength and conditioning program behind the scenes other than Andreu Swasey is gone finally. I do know it seems to be working. The nutrition and training programs are paying off. Our 190 lb new starting RB trucks dudes like he's 225.

Thoughts?

I think there is a contingent on here that blames the S&C staff for the rash of injuries as well. Two sides to this coin and both are reasonable.

You’re dead wrong.

What is reasonable about blaming them for the injuries? There is no reasonable explanation, logic, or scintilla of evidence that puts any kind of blame on the S&C staff for injuries that are just part of playing football.

It literally is retarded to do that. It’s people that have no clue about medicine, science, or rational thought that invent this form of voodoo thinking in their heads.

S&C programs reduce injuries...conditioning...that's what the "c" stands for.

I know what S&C programs are supposed to do, but perhaps the uptick in injuries is related to what the S&C program isn't doing or is doing wrong. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd take Felder and the nutrition guy over Golden / Cheeseburgers all day.

I am not sure what is going on with our strength and conditioning program behind the scenes other than Andreu Swasey is gone finally. I do know it seems to be working. The nutrition and training programs are paying off. Our 190 lb new starting RB trucks dudes like he's 225.

Thoughts?

I need them for myself.

For people worrying that s&c are what's causing injuries, why? Redwine has a possible concussion from a hit. Walton and Donaldson have ankle injuries. Pinckney tweaked his chest laying out. Richards has a pulled hamstring. How do squats and lifts cause these injuries?

Advertisement
For people worrying that s&c are what's causing injuries, why? Redwine has a possible concussion from a hit. Walton and Donaldson have ankle injuries. Pinckney tweaked his chest laying out. Richards has a pulled hamstring. How do squats and lifts cause these injuries?

I'm in the camp that our staff is doing a great job, but S&C is more than squats and lifts. Stanford has an entire program dedicated to "Prehab" to include Yoga and advanced stretching. Also workouts that stimulate only the stabilizer muscles. I think at the start of spring Coach Felder looked into these things and incorporated them into our program. That's one thing I appreciate about this new staff- their awareness about the ever changing dynamics of this field and their willingness to learn.

In the same regard as everyone who won a Super Bowl on Madden became an elite OC, everyone who does crossfit twice a week and shops at Whole Foods is now an S&C and nutritional expert. These guys really have a thankless job.

strength and conditioning is part of it; but the main thing is between the ears. CMR has these guys believing they can win.

Advertisement
You missed the memo in the Evidence Njoku thread...our S&C stinks and Felder is the reason why, paraphrasing here, Miami players get injured more and don't recover from ACLs as good as other college football teams. Sorry to inform you of this.

Outside of hiring Kool, firing Swasey was the best thing that Richt did.

You could really see the difference in S&C in the bowl game last year. We were much, much stronger than WVU.

May be somewhat of a hot take, but our ability to not play that well, but still physically bully teams, reminds me of the 05 to 08ish LSU teams.

Last edited:
We are definitely a 4 qtr team now. Golden's "U Tough" was a bunch of bull.

"U Tough" = U Gain

Everything about Golden was a bunch of bull!! I have never saw a Coach that did the **** Golden did at Miami, this guy single handedly destroyed this program!! BUT I must admit CMR have hired a very solid S & C staff here a Miami, our guys are really benefitting from this new staff!!

Advertisement
I don't know why we have to credit one thing for the 4th Qr comebacks. It is obviously a collective effort that helped the team overcome adversity. From the head coach the water boys and girls, this team developed the physical and mental strength to be able to prevail the last minutes of games.

I don't think OP was crediting one thing, rather that S&C was a piece of the puzzle.

Advertisement
Back