Maybe now, a few more cable companies can find the space for ACCN

Content is always what it is all about. Comcast makes you pay for all of the foreign language channels they carry. The thread opened up making a statement about squeezing the ACCN in where NBCSports was vacating. If the cable company wanted to carry the ACCN, there are already gaps in their channel lineup where they could put the ACCN. Do they really need to have 4 SEC channels or 4 B1G channels. During the last Football season my provider put in 4 B1G channels. Problem is they showed the same game on all 4. They have now went back to one B1G channel. Before I cut the cord, the ACCN channel was put in a special package that I could have, if I wanted to pay extra. Another trick to suck more money out of my wallet. They could have given it to me for free. They obviously had the space on their lineup to carry it.
I am going to be blunt. At a high level, what you are saying is 100% correct. However beyond that and how the specifics played out, you have no clue what you are talking about. Comcast and other carriers have wanted to offer it as part of a premium package or as a special channel. Swofford refused to even allow that to be an option. The reason it is not on has nothing to do with how many Big10 or SEC channels are offered. It is because of John Swofford.

Would I prefer it as part of my basic package? Sure. Would I get the premium package for 4 months if that was my only option? 100%. So Swofford has essentially taken a massive chunk of money out of Miami and every other school's pocket because he entirely misread the situation and has refused to even allow some of the largest carriers to offer it to their subscribers. And he misread the situation the same way he has with the other Tobacco Road power brokers for the last 20 years. Specifically, no one cares about college basketball. College football is what makes money. You are right that content matters, but people are signing up for it because they don't want to miss one of their team's 12 football games, not the rest of the fluff.

Advertisement
I am going to be blunt. At a high level, what you are saying is 100% correct. However beyond that and how the specifics played out, you have no clue what you are talking about. Comcast and other carriers have wanted to offer it as part of a premium package or as a special channel. Swofford refused to even allow that to be an option. The reason it is not on has nothing to do with how many Big10 or SEC channels are offered. It is because of John Swofford.

Would I prefer it as part of my basic package? Sure. Would I get the premium package for 4 months if that was my only option? 100%. So Swofford has essentially taken a massive chunk of money out of Miami and every other school's pocket because he entirely misread the situation and has refused to even allow some of the largest carriers to offer it to their subscribers. And he misread the situation the same way he has with the other Tobacco Road power brokers for the last 20 years. Specifically, no one cares about college basketball. College football is what makes money. You are right that content matters, but people are signing up for it because they don't want to miss one of their team's 12 football games, not the rest of the fluff.

Technically, Swofford is correct, though. If a "league" network (Big 10, SEC) is being carried on the basic NON-PREMIUM sports package, the ACC should be as well, ESPECIALLY in Florida. In all honesty, once the ACC is carried on Comcast as a "premium" sports channel, I have no idea what leverage or rationale would then be employed to move the ACCN up to "basic" sports, rather than "premium".

Having said that, yes, the entire system is fvcked, and Swofford was terrible.

I was simply pointing out that NBCSN is "basic" (not premium) on nearly every cable network (obviously due to the power of NBC, rather than the attractiveness of the content), therefore, the loss of NBCSN will open up a spot in the "basic" tier.

All of the other porsters whining about the cost or cord-cutting or anything else have missed the point of the thread.

NBCSN is dead. A spot on the "basic" tier should be opening up.

That is all. It's easy to chat with you, wsp, but it's harder to talk with some of these other stubborn folks who want to blame individuals who "pay for" cable content.

Technically, Swofford is correct, though. If a "league" network (Big 10, SEC) is being carried on the basic NON-PREMIUM sports package, the ACC should be as well, ESPECIALLY in Florida. In all honesty, once the ACC is carried on Comcast as a "premium" sports channel, I have no idea what leverage or rationale would then be employed to move the ACCN up to "basic" sports, rather than "premium".

Having said that, yes, the entire system is fvcked, and Swofford was terrible.

I was simply pointing out that NBCSN is "basic" (not premium) on nearly every cable network (obviously due to the power of NBC, rather than the attractiveness of the content), therefore, the loss of NBCSN will open up a spot in the "basic" tier.

All of the other porsters whining about the cost or cord-cutting or anything else have missed the point of the thread.

NBCSN is dead. A spot on the "basic" tier should be opening up.

That is all. It's easy to chat with you, wsp, but it's harder to talk with some of these other stubborn folks who want to blame individuals who "pay for" cable content.
Totally agree my friend. The big difference that Swofford overlooked between the SEC/Big 10 and the ACC, however, is the size of the pull and the ACC’s stubborn focus on basketball. The SEC and football speaks for itself, but the Big 10 also has some major football powers with GIANT alumni bases. The ACC has quite a few schools with smaller pull or alumni networks, and most of the ones with bigger alumni bases or followings prioritize basketball (UNC, NCST, UVA).

But that aside, if you look at the ratings and revenues for the basketball tournament vs an average football weekend, it is shocking. Swofford tried to play hardball with no leverage to back it and it screwed the conference. I’m sure at this point, Comcast will say we have seen zero movement away due to not offering the ACCN, so the conference has even less leverage.

Comcast ( biggest tv provider in south Florida) doesn’t even offer ACCN). I am blessed to be able to afford to watch it on wherever they put the game, but to assume everyone can is what makes your comment douche.

Everyone got a phone and a video console and likely smart TV. If u don’t know how to get YouTube TV or plethora other cheaper choices clearly ur over 65; and if u rocking pimp cane threads please post pics! I need a laugh this off season .

Everyone got a phone and a video console and likely smart TV. If u don’t know how to get YouTube TV or plethora other cheaper choices clearly ur over 65; and if u rocking pimp cane threads please post pics! I need a laugh this off season .

First you say “ If u watch nothing else $60 month is $15 a game ... whine and ***** much ??????? “ Then follow it up with this. Is your brain so small you forgot your first point? That’s ok at least I got my laugh this off season.

Advertisement
Comcast or whatever cable company could drop as many channels as they wanted to, but that does not mean the ACCN would get a spot in their basic lineup. There is already a lot of gaps in their lineup where they could insert the ACCN. Comcast is already one of the greediest cable companies out there, so the old adage about "Follow The Money" applies here.

I understand some people are locked in to Comcast and to them I offer my sympathies. Those with families can't cut the cord without everyone being in agreement. But to be honest, you are not missing that much UM content with the ACCN. It has been a big disappointment as far as I am concerned.

Advertisement
Back