May enrollee update: Derrick Smith

Amari Carter is a better overall Safety, he's faster, a better tackler & more devastating hitter, he has better instincts & his best quality above all is his intelligence... He's got a high football IQ.

He diagnoses like a veteran even though he's still very young & a TF. People sleep on his instincts but he's pure hunter, he gets to the ball no matter what.

D Smith might have better Ball skills, but he's a step or two slower & isn't reading the field at the same level as Amari.

I like Derrick Smith a lot & think he'll be able to contribute on Special Teams from day 1, but Amari Carter is a future All-ACC team player (maybe 2nd or 3rd team, but he's a baller is the point).

Amari plays the game at an impactful level, he's a kid who as soon as he gets on the field he's immediately making plays.

Smith will be good but still needs some development, Amari is ready for starter snaps right now, that's the difference between the two.

I definitely do not think carter is faster than Derrick smith. Doesn't look like it on film
Smith ran a 4.7 & Amari is a 4.5-4.6 guy...

Obviously, you didn't see Amari play in the Spring game or have never seen him play live either.

Did I say I saw him play live? And 2 I'm really high on amari carter but let's be real he ain't that fast. He does have good closing speed
No one's arguing that Amari is a 4.3 speedster, I said he's faster than D Smith, because he is by every metric.
The reason why you don't know that is because you've never seen them play before, that's the point.

So, wtf that's supposed to mean? This is meaningless neither are that fast but have good enough speed to be a safety. Wtf does me not seeing them play have to do with anything? And let's be clear I think carter is the better player but Derrick's game is arguably more complete because of his ballhawking ability to go along with his physicality.

Last edited:
Advertisement
FYI his Uncle is Lito Sheppard apparently, 2x Pro bowler and one of the better corners in the last decade

Lol Reggie Bush says hello

Lol Reggie Bush was a KR in the pro bowl and Lito made it as CB and would've made two more he wasn't so injury prone.

Maybe you should do more research before opening your mouth. You seem to porst alot

Did not mean to downvote Z.

AK might have been talking about this play, but it was Sheldon Brown not Lito Sheppard who put the hurt on Reggie
[video=youtube;ThlyRs2UKGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThlyRs2UKGY[/video]

I definitely do not think carter is faster than Derrick smith. Doesn't look like it on film

Obviously, you didn't see Amari play in the Spring game or have never seen him play live either.

Did I say I saw him play live? And 2 I'm really high on amari carter but let's be real he ain't that fast. He does have good closing speed
No one's arguing that Amari is a 4.3 speedster, I said he's faster than D Smith, because he is by every metric.
The reason why you don't know that is because you've never seen them play before, that's the point.

So, wtf that's supposed to mean? This is meaningless neither are that fast but have good enough speed to be a safety. Wtf does me not seeing them play have to do with anything? And let's be clear I think carter is the better player but Derrick's game is arguably more complete because of his ballhawking ability to go along with his physicality.

C'mon, frock...

Advertisement
First off, I was excited as **** for some reason thinking his uncle was really "Night Train" Lane! Lol! Broke my heart on that one! Second, this kid isn't taking a backseat to anyone. Great size, good range and loves to hit. I wouldn't bet against him.

cool is he good enough to get playing time cuz after the 2018 studs come can he compete with jobe etc?

He could very well grow into a linebacker. The important thing is that I believe he can impact the team this upcoming season and that is big.

Even if he doesn't get a ton of burn at safety you can never have too many athletes on special teams.

Amari Carter is a better overall Safety, he's faster, a better tackler & more devastating hitter, he has better instincts & his best quality above all is his intelligence... He's got a high football IQ.

He diagnoses like a veteran even though he's still very young & a TF. People sleep on his instincts but he's pure hunter, he gets to the ball no matter what.

D Smith might have better Ball skills, but he's a step or two slower & isn't reading the field at the same level as Amari.

I like Derrick Smith a lot & think he'll be able to contribute on Special Teams from day 1, but Amari Carter is a future All-ACC team player (maybe 2nd or 3rd team, but he's a baller is the point).

Amari plays the game at an impactful level, he's a kid who as soon as he gets on the field he's immediately making plays.

Smith will be good but still needs some development, Amari is ready for starter snaps right now, that's the difference between the two.

Does'nt really matter, the best players will play. I trust that the coaches we have will sort it out. Never will we go back to the days if Highsmith/Rodgers over Deon.

This kid has such natural ball-skills and roaming ability. I have no idea why people would advocate for him to be a LB. Everyone wants the next ST26 but when a DB comes in with his measurables people start projecting him to LB.

This kid is a S all the way.

B/c of speed...that's why. Will he be fast enough to play the position as he grows? Its not like people are pulling this out of thin air.

Advertisement
This kid has such natural ball-skills and roaming ability. I have no idea why people would advocate for him to be a LB. Everyone wants the next ST26 but when a DB comes in with his measurables people start projecting him to LB.

B/c of speed...that's why. Will he be fast enough to play the position as he grows? Its not like people are pulling this out of thin air.

Because of speed? How?

I think people are confusing his long strides for being slow. Kid has range and takes some pretty good angles. He can always get better but that can be said for anyone.

Because of speed? How?

I think people are confusing his long strides for being slow. Kid has range and takes some pretty good angles. He can always get better but that can be said for anyone.

Recorded a 4.7 40 time. His speed in the highlights don't pop off to me either. I love the kid's instincts and physicality though.

C'mon, frock...

Lol. WTFrock?

Advertisement

Because of speed? How?

Recorded a 4.7 40 time. His speed in the highlights don't pop off to me either. I love the kid's instincts and physicality though.

As I understand it from a VT guy I know, Bud Foster was recruiting him there as a linebacker, ultimately. I trust that evaluation.

FYI his Uncle is Lito Sheppard apparently, 2x Pro bowler and one of the better corners in the last decade

Lol Reggie Bush was a KR in the pro bowl and Lito made it as CB and would've made two more he wasn't so injury prone.

Maybe you should do more research before opening your mouth. You seem to porst alot

AK might have been talking about this play, but it was Sheldon Brown not Lito Sheppard who put the hurt on Reggie

My bad always get those two confused. Wasnt knocking Lito I was trying to say he is good. Good catch Mojo

My bad always get those two confused. Wasnt knocking Lito I was trying to say he is good. Good catch Mojo

When you mentioned Reggie i automatically went to youtube and assumed it was Lito who hit him until i found the clip haha.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back