May 27, ACCT vs Duke, 11am (possible stream link included)

Zero head coaching experience. We went from a national title contender to a learn on the job school. Nobody cares if the hire is “well regarded.” It was all a guess bc he was never a HC before he got here.
As I said, Schnelly has precisely 1 yr of HC experience, going 4-10 with the Colts. Totally stellar record...leaps and bounds above a guy with no NC experience but a few NCs under his belt as a player and DC.

Advertisement
Lol, this “failed regime” stuff kills me. Virtually anyone who hasn’t recently won an NCcould be considered part of a failed regime by most posters here.

—Shannon was a part of several NCs as a player and coach. His defenses were stellar by virtually all measures. He had deep connections in the community and a **** good resume for someone without HC experience.

Now you can say maybe we should never hire anyone who hasn’t had previous success as an HC. But then that knocks out a guy like Schnelly, who had only been an HC once before, for 1 losing season with the Colts. And even guys like Jimmy and Erickson had mediocre-at-best records as HCs previous to getting the nod here...so let’s don’t pretend that they were sure-thing home-run hires with top-notch resumes.

—Golden had a decent-not-great pedigree, and was heralded as a “diamond in the rough” pretty much like a lot of our previous hires.

—Richt had tons of success at UGA, ties to UM, etc. The knock on him Was that he’d lost his edge—but there were also rumors that the UGA admin had basically tied his hands, and that UM would give him free reign.

You guys look at these things in hindsight, and you only focus on the down side. But each of these hires were very plausible and in keeping with our previous philosophy on hires.

There is no hindsight! Lol.

U know what, I remember who u r. U don’t post on the FB forum like u did, yesteryear.

We’re all entitled to our feelings, even when those feelings are accompanied w/ a side of Wild Turkey on the rocks.

As I said, Schnelly has precisely 1 yr of HC experience, going 4-10 with the Colts. Totally stellar record...leaps and bounds above a guy with no NC experience but a few NCs under his belt as a player and DC.
I’d take a guy with 1 year NFL HC experience over a guy with zero.

I’m sure you would. Other people might not. There’s plenty of argument to be had. Point being, 1 year of a sub-.300 record as a HC isn’t exactly heads and shoulders better than no HC experience. It’s a crap shoot.
I don’t believe high major D1 football teams should ever hire first time head coaches unless it is a special guy. I’ve always thought like that. The way contracts are and it now being a 2-3 year experiment with a big buyout on top of that if it doesn’t workout, it’s simply not worth it.

The only person I can think of in the last decade that I would make an exception for, is Lincoln Riley. The only reason I say that is bc the year I transferred to ECU, he was there. It was the year he put the country on notice. I had friends on the football team who raved about him and I went to practice and saw him work a couple of times. Would he win a title here? Who knows but he, unlike 99% of others was worth that risk.

Advertisement
You mean to tell me Shannon from a failed regime, extending Golden and Richt for no reason, letting Richt bring his son with no experience, letting Manny strong arm them into a job after getting a $20 million re-do bc Richt walked away and didn’t fight, Morris letting baseball fall apart with no push back, hiring a donors son, and letting Coach L still be here would happen if they weren’t getting large sums of money from the ACC? Seems to me like this school would be in life support if they set that much money on fire without a big conference deal. Not too mention someone would be fired if it actually hurt the bottom line, but bc of the new tv deal it doesn’t.
All of this is true. But even more obviously, if winning in any sport was a priority at UM, Blake James would have been shown the door years ago. It's about cashing those ACC checks. That's it.

It would be nice to see just one outstanding sports program at UM. That would give fans some confidence that AD is competent enough to recognize talent and hire at least one good coach, so we can have some faith that the others will eventually succeed if given enough time. Unfortunately, UM sports fall somewhere on the spectrum between "dumpster fire" and "mediocre." I envy Blake James in a way. I'd love to have a job where I get paid a million dollars and there are no expectations for success.
Women's tennis is outstanding!

Correlation ain’t causation, bro.

It’s convenient to blame the move to the ACC. But that ignores the simple reality that virtually all programs go through ups and downs over time. How’s USC football and baseball been over the past decade? Texas football?
Exactly! Bama football 2 regimes before Saban??

Advertisement
"Well-regarded hires by sportswriters", that's your measuring stick? How about conference titles, national championships, Omaha/Elite 8/CFB playoff participant, etc? Those are mine.

Remember when the joke was the baseball team used the runner- up trophy as a door stop? What happened to those lofty expectations. Of course we were never going to repeat the glory days, but a 20 year drought of even sniffing a title in Men's athletics is getting old.
So back to the point, using your criteria we would not have hired Schenley, Jimmie or Dennis. Lmao .

So back to the point, using your criteria we would not have hired Schenley, Jimmie or Dennis. Lmao .
This isn't about coaching hires from 40 years ago. Blake James has never hired a good coach, and Larranaga, who he inherited, has been washed up for years yet continues to use the university for a hefty social security supplement. So long as James is AD, mediocrity is guaranteed.

Advertisement
"Titles and relevance on the national stage" ... those are my criteria/expectations for men's athletics and that's what I was implying. You apparently thought I used my examples to apply to the potential new hire's resume - I did not.

The examples you used actually make my point by highlighting the difference between today's administration and AD and those of the past, i.e. we hired coaches who already had Power 5 conference head coaching experience and success (or a successful NFL assistant in the case of Schnellenberger), and those coaches went on to win numerous titles in football and baseball. Richt was the only example of that in recent years.

I wish Gino, Manny and Coach L nothing but success. That said, until the current administration and AD are seriously committed to winning again, they'll have a high hill to climb IMO.

Today's game means "nothing", but to me it will tell me all I need to know and more about the future of this team. It's a "heart" game to me. Do you have it, or do you not have it?

Go out and look inspired and beat the pants off of a squad that made you look silly in your house - maybe the season is worth watching, still...and maybe the players/coaches can still build off of this year into next year.

Go out and look like you're going thru the motions but win/lose a close one - just means FSU probably wasn't as motivated either and just beat you, or you pulled out a close one b/c FSU has quit. Either way, all of the problems that we've harped on for YEARS with this program are validated once again.

Go out and get blown out *yet again* by FSU after the heartbreaker vs Duke - No heart and the patient is dead on the table. Time to play out the season and Blake James ought to be making calls to potentially replace Gino.

Advertisement
I understood your point. i just disagree with it and find it a tired excuse.

I'll veer away from baseball for a moment and talk about football. Every single one of our coaching hires over the last dozen years or so previous to Manny had been well-regarded by sportswriters across the country. Shannon, Golden, Richt...they were all A/A-/B+ hires according to the folks who cover this stuff. Could we have done better? Obviously the results say yes. But we doled out decent money for what the admin thought, in their honest evaluations, would be good for the program and get us Ws.

This idea that the admin just cares about the ACC checks rolling in and doesn't care about winning...or that somehow being an Indy or being in the Big East made our admin "hungrier" to win...it's just kinda silly. As I said, virtually all programs go through droughts...that doesn't mean the admin got lazy or de-motivated by money or whatever. Bad hires happen to good organizations all the time. Mediocrity strikes even those programs that are motivated and want to win.

To me, "well-regarded by sportswriters" generally means a lazy, unimaginative hire. ADs like those types of hires because it insulates them from fan criticism- how can you complain about hiring Coach A or B when Sports Illustrated says he's the next big thing? ADs with balls and foresight are willing to take chances on wild cards and don't care what the fans think (I honestly think that Blake James lives in such a protected little bubble that he thought the Diaz hire would be immensely popular with fans).

As for coaches who weren't well-regarded by fans and sportswriters... Remember "Jimmy Who?" on the Jimmy Johnson hire? Many fans were angry about the hire- what would make the AD think that an 8-4 coach from Ok State should take over a national championship team? And then take that criticism and crank it up to 11 for the Erickson hire. Fans were incensed and wanted to burn down the OB. Some nobody from WSU had no business taking over the program.

Butch Davis seems like an obvious hire now, but Paul Dee's first choice was actually Jim Tressel, who was then the head coach at Youngstown State. Tressel ended up winning a NC a few years later at Ohio State, meaning Dee's #1 and #2 choices for HC were both championship caliber! (I'm giving Davis credit even though technically he didn't win a NC). You see the same thing at other programs- sportwriters mocked LSU for hiring Ed Orgeron yet praised Michigan and UGA for their respective hires. The writers loved Herman at Texas too and thought it was slam dunk. Out of all those HCs, which one of them has a national championship under his belt now?

So who was the wildcard hire I would have picked if I was AD two years ago? You guys will say I'm crazy, but I would have loved to see Mike Leach or Lane Kiffin as HC given that CFB is all about offense now. We all saw that Dan Mullen gave Saban all he could handle in the SEC championship game although Bama has 5x the talent of UF. After Richt retired, I mentioned Leach and Kiffin as my "boom or bust" picks. I didn't want yet another coach from a failed coaching tree or someone who has never been a HC at any level. I also wanted someone who would bring some much needed character back to the program. A few years ago (before Richt retired), I actually brought up Leach and Kiffin as dudes that would electrify Miami and distinctly remember about 99% of the board pushing back and saying that "no P5 school besides WSU will EVER hire Leach" and that "Kiffin will NEVER get another offer to be a P5 HC." Surprise, surprise- both coaches are now running the show at SEC schools so it looks like I am vindicated once again.

Today's game means "nothing", but to me it will tell me all I need to know and more about the future of this team. It's a "heart" game to me. Do you have it, or do you not have it?

Go out and look inspired and beat the pants off of a squad that made you look silly in your house - maybe the season is worth watching, still...and maybe the players/coaches can still build off of this year into next year.

Go out and look like you're going thru the motions but win/lose a close one - just means FSU probably wasn't as motivated either and just beat you, or you pulled out a close one b/c FSU has quit. Either way, all of the problems that we've harped on for YEARS with this program are validated once again.

Go out and get blown out *yet again* by FSU after the heartbreaker vs Duke - No heart and the patient is dead on the table. Time to play out the season and Blake James ought to be making calls to potentially replace Gino.
I get where you're coming from but this is a glorified scrimmage and we should be giving the young backups a chance to start today. Now, those guys can still play hard and inspired but the result means nothing.

"Titles and relevance on the national stage" ... those are my criteria/expectations for men's athletics and that's what I was implying. You apparently thought I used my examples to apply to the potential new hire's resume - I did not.

The examples you used actually make my point by highlighting the difference between today's administration and AD and those of the past, i.e. we hired coaches who already had Power 5 conference head coaching experience and success (or a successful NFL assistant in the case of Schnellenberger), and those coaches went on to win numerous titles in football and baseball. Richt was the only example of that in recent years.

I wish Gino, Manny and Coach L nothing but success. That said, until the current administration and AD are seriously committed to winning again, they'll have a high hill to climb IMO.
Sorry, but that is not what you posted.

"Well-regarded hires by sportswriters", that's your measuring stick? How about conference titles, national championships, Omaha/Elite 8/CFB playoff participant, etc? Those are mine."

Hires, measuring stick. Sorry no other way to interpret that. But agree with the program expectations, no doubt.

Advertisement
Back