Max Kellerman- “college football is better when Miami’s good”

Advertisement
I was watching some recaps on youtube of the game, and one of them was a clip of talking heads from an ESPN8 that airs at 3 AM. One of the muppets was talking about growing up in Colorado and that his elementary school banned students from wearing apparel from two sports teams: The Oakland Raiders and the Miami Hurricanes. The school board believed those two teams were a bad influence on students. Of course, every student then wanted to root for the Canes because the adults hated them. I can't think of any higher praise than that.

The U is the trendsetter of college football. If you go back, you will remember things like the touchdown celebrations of the 80’s, talking smack & backing it up, the smoke entrance, and more recent the turnover chain. I think the 4 fingers up for the 4th quarter too! Look at all of the copycats over the years. Miami was first with all of that. There aren’t too many older college football fans that don’t have a memory of the U whether good or bad. It’s the BRAND and more people tune in when the U is rolling.

Advertisement
Mainly because they feel like they can raid the elite talent when we dont have our **** together.. You even have teams like Louisville feeling like if they can beat us they can sneak another Bridgewater/Lamar out of south florida, not even including the Juedys and Dalvins of the world.. ALOT of teams eat when we are down
This was at the heart of the long investigation during the Golden years. They knew they didn't have much, but they also knew it helped teams recruit down here if Miami was going to get hammered. The perception was worse than the reality, and the NCAA really loved the bad optics for UM. It was obvious to anyone paying attention they were dragging their feet on purpose. Only one real reason to do so.

Just said it on air on first take after finebaum brought up our game against Clemson and how it’s a game to watch and how we’ve looked impressive early on. Same thing cowherd always says. I love hearing it from the pundits cause it’s just the **** truth!

Kirk Herbstreit said it first. ;)

Advertisement
If College football has a ratings problem, it occurs when the championship and often 2/4 or 3/4 teams in the playoffs are from the deep south (which oddly doesn't include Miami though it is the deepest south of any team).
Miami and ND add ratings because of love/hate but also because when they play the game feels less like a bunch of rednecks in Georgia, Bama and Louisiana.
The other team which brings eyes and a break up of regional monopoly is USCw.
I recognize that OSU brings the midwest into the sport, but OSU is hated in the Big 10 outside of Ohio.
When good, the most interesting teams in college football and UM/ND followed by USCw. And with UM and USC, half the allure are the celebs at the games, be it former players or ARod and J-Lo in Miami to Snoop and Will Ferrell in Los Angeles.

The Turnover Chain was the best thing to happen in college football in the past five years.
Nah..the turnover Bah wants a word on that
1601503104195.gif

Advertisement
Max is top 2 worst sports personality of all time. He knows a little about boxing (I guess- I don't know enough about it to confirm but that is where he started I guess) but everything else he knows little to nothing about and mostly just focuses on things that would get me band if I mentioned here. Unlistenable.

Just said it on air on first take after finebaum brought up our game against Clemson and how it’s a game to watch and how we’ve looked impressive early on. Same thing cowherd always says. I love hearing it from the pundits cause it’s just the **** truth!
Yes paid outrageous amounts of money to state the ******* obvious. I want to see another natty before I die so bad that it hurts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back