Maurice Smith Alabama DB transfer

Would be huge... now we dont have to rush Malek Young or Cedrick Wright..they both can Red-shirt and develop a little bit.... Young might get Snaps though

Advertisement
If he's graduated can't he go to another program and play the next year without restriction? As long as he's enrolled in graduate school?

Yes. But I'm saying that Alabama tried talking him into staying. It wasn't just a thing where they signed the papers and sent him on his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you say this would affect our '17 DB class any if he transfers?

If he graduated in 3 years, he could literally just be transferring so he can get his masters degree at a better school than Alabama. Plus our DB depth situation has to look better than Bama.

Advertisement
From a Bama fan on tMB:

Has contributed consistently since being at bama- he's a leader And hard worker but It probably doesn't help his cause that we bring 5star DBs every year single year- but he is great off the edge, not bad in coverage, and Pretty solid tackler. He will make your d better.

If he's graduated can't he go to another program and play the next year without restriction? As long as he's enrolled in graduate school?

Yes. But I'm saying that Alabama tried talking him into staying. It wasn't just a thing where they signed the papers and sent him on his way.

Got it. He just must not be happy either with perceived playing time, position, or a combination thereof

Would you say this would affect our '17 DB class any if he transfers?

Lol... Now what sense does that make...? He would be gone before they get on campus

Advertisement
I'm not sure if he can play another year after this one since he graduated in three. Did he play or redshirt his freshman year?

4 star, No 12 rated DB in the nation, and 142nd overall player.

I say this is a pretty nice pick up.

Advertisement
This would be huge

Immediately makes our defense better

We should still pursue that Baylor CB Parrish Cobb who is still trying to get his LOI release from the school

I like that college football now has a free agent market...it helps make up for past recruiting failures

Last edited:
Advertisement
This would be huge

We should still pursue that Baylor CB Parrish Cobb who is still trying to get his LOI release from the school

I like that college football now how's a free agent market...it helps make up for past recruiting failures

Just adding Smith could very well be the difference between 8 wins and 10 wins.

(LONG DO NOT COPY IN REPLY Thanks in advance.)

MAURICE SMITH 21
Maurice Smith
Class: Senior
Hometown: Sugar Land, Texas
High School: Fort Bend Dulles
Position: DB
Height: 6-0
Weight: 195
Experience: 3L
JUNIOR (2015): Played in 26 games during his first two years at the Capstone while making two starts at cornerback ... ranked second on the team with seven special teams tackles, four on punt and three on kickoff coverage ... named one of the special teams players of the week by the UA coaching staff for his efforts against Middle Tennessee and at Texas A&M. Wisconsin: Saw action in a reserve role and on special teams but did not record any statistics. Middle Tennessee: Notched three tackles on the day, two assisted and one unassisted. Ole Miss: Saw time on special teams in the SEC opener but did not record any stats. ULM: Logged playing time against ULM, but did not record any stats. Georgia: Saw action against the Bulldogs, but did not record any stats on special teams. Arkansas: Collected one tackle on special teams against the Hogs. Texas A&M: Notched a season-high and team-high three special teams tackles against the Aggies ... stopped two punt returns and one kick return. Tennessee: Came in for a relief role following Eddie Jackson’s knee injury ... recorded one tackle from his spot in the defensive secondary. LSU: Did not record any stops during his time on special teams. Mississippi State: Helped fill in for an injured Minkah Fitzpatrick in the defensive backfield but did not record any stats. Charleston Southern: Made two tackles on defense, filling in at the star position ... helped limit the Buccaneer passing game to only 49 yards through the air. Auburn: Had a huge day against the Tigers, recording his first sack of the season as part of his two tackles on defense ... also broke up a pass and recovered a fumble for the Crimson Tide. Florida: Saw time in the secondary and on special teams but did not record any stats. Michigan State: Entered in a backup role in the secondary, recording two stops and forcing a fumble, his first forced fumble of the season. Clemson: Made one stop in the defensive secondary.

SOPHOMORE (2014): A reserve defensive back who played both cornerback and star in nickel formations ... played in all 14 games with one start ... a regular on special teams ... had 10 tackles, half of a tackle for loss (-2 yards) and a pass breakup to his credit. FAU: Recorded the fourth pass breakup of his career in the win. Southern Miss: Added three tackles, including a pair of solo stops, for the Crimson Tide. Florida: Had one solo tackle in the win over the Gators. Ole Miss: Recorded two solo tackles against the Rebels. Texas A&M: Had half of a tackle for loss (-2 yards) to go along with seven total tackles and six solo stops. LSU: Made one assisted tackle. Western Carolina: Registered two solo tackles as the Crimson Tide held the Catamounts to just 213 yards of total offense.

FRESHMAN (2013): Made a positive impression on the coaching staff in his rookie season ... recorded 13 tackles (one assisted for loss) and three pass breakups in 11 games played ... made his first career start against Chattanooga in the season's 11th game ... also a contributor on special teams, with six tackles on the kickoff coverage team. Virginia Tech: Made his Alabama debut on special teams in 35-10 win over the Hokies. Texas A&M: Added two assisted tackles in win over the No. 6 Aggies in College Station. Colorado State: Registered a season-best four tackles, including one solo stop against the Rams ... assisted on a tackle for loss and broke up a pass. Ole Miss: Pitched in with one solo tackle on kickoff coverage while seeing snaps at cornerback behind fellow freshman Eddie Jackson. Georgia State: Had one assisted tackle on the kickoff coverage team. Arkansas: Made one solo and one assisted tackle while breaking up a pass in 52-0 victory over the Razorbacks. Chattanooga: Earned his first career start at cornerback and made three tackles with two solo stops as UTC managed only 82 yards passing. Auburn: Came off the bench to make three stops, including two solo tackles.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: Was a consensus four-star cornerback ... played in the Under Armour All-American Game ... ranked as the No. 5 cornerback in the class of 2013 by Scout.com and listed 55th in the Scout300 ... 247Sports ranks him as the No. 11 corner, rates him No. 121 in the Top247 and 14th in Texas while the 247Composite has him 84th nationally, the No. 9 cornerback and No. 111 in Texas ... ranked 12th among corners by Rivals.com and 143 in the Rivals250 ... ESPN has him as the No. 8 player in the state of Texas and No. 8 in the Midlands Region ... No. 84 in the ESPN100 and the outlet's No. 12 cornerback ... PrepStar ranks him as the No. 7 corner and the nation's No. 89 player ... a member of the PrepStar Dream Team ... the No. 15 cornerback by Tom Lemming of MaxPreps ... recorded one interception as a senior in 2012 with 21 receptions for 389 yards and seven touchdowns ... had 63 tackles and three interceptions as a junior in 2011 ... played for head coach Jim Creech at Fort Bend Dulles High School ... chose Alabama over Florida, Arkansas, Arizona State, Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska and Michigan.

This would be huge

I like that college football now how's a free agent market...it helps make up for past recruiting failures

Just adding Smith could very well be the difference between 8 wins and 10 wins.

Agreed. Our CB situation is a huge soft spot as of now. For several months, I've been thinking it costs us a couple of games. If Smith is as good as some here think, it could make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back