Maurice Hagens

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Anybody have theories why we haven't used him in short yardage this year?

Advertisement
Absolutely a mystery. The kid coverts 4 short yardage situations against Maryland and hasn't been used since. Baffling

Attachments

• TheWork.jpg
    TheWork.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 24,562
I think because the staff thought Mike James was our power back, but clearly he isn't. This is no knock against him, in the biggest short yardage plays of the year when James was given the ball, the TE or the offensive line did a terrible job of executing their blocks properly, but I do think we should Hagens more. James, IMO is not really a power back. People just think he is a power back because he isn't that fast or quick, but in reality he isn't all that big or strong. I would love to see Hagens more in goal line situations and short yardage situations. I also wouldn't mind if he ran a couple routes out of the back field. Teams don't really look to cover the full back, and Hagens has good hands and awareness of the yards he needs to pick up on the field.

Anybody have theories why we haven't used him in short yardage this year?

Secret weapon vs. FSU. The entire course of our program over the next 3 years rides on that game. We have saved EVERYTHING for the showdown. It's why we were able to run the ball against 8-man fronts @ VTech, and then lose two games at home because we can't convert short yardage.

(We need a sarcasm emoticon)

I think because the staff thought Mike James was our power back, but clearly he isn't. This is no knock against him, in the biggest short yardage plays of the year when James was given the ball, the TE or the offensive line did a terrible job of executing their blocks properly, but I do think we should Hagens more. James, IMO is not really a power back. People just think he is a power back because he isn't that fast or quick, but in reality he isn't all that big or strong. I would love to see Hagens more in goal line situations and short yardage situations. I also wouldn't mind if he ran a couple routes out of the back field. Teams don't really look to cover the full back, and Hagens has good hands and awareness of the yards he needs to pick up on the field.

I think this is right on the money. Mike James should had stayed in his role as a 90s version of an NFL utility back. Basically, those hybrid FB/RBs we used to see in the 90s. I've compared it to an NFL version of Larry Centers. We've obviously moved away from that role.

Advertisement
That sounds like I.O.U. Every week he says that we will see something we haven't seen all year and that we are saving plays. Well, when we are down in the fourth on the last possesion of the game, I hope we aren't holding back plays. A 10 win season with a loss to FSU would do better for recruiting than an 8 win season with a win against FSU.

Mike James is a nice utility back, but not much more...I think everyone can agree to that.

OK blocker. OK receiver. OK rusher. He's the jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Sometimes, you have to use what you have, and I mean, if Mike James is your best short yardage back, I'm not sure you are in a good position in the run game on short yardage situations. OL has had a lot to do with it, but James hasn't exactly helped himself either.

That sounds like I.O.U. Every week he says that we will see something we haven't seen all year and that we are saving plays. Well, when we are down in the fourth on the last possesion of the game, I hope we aren't holding back plays. A 10 win season with a loss to FSU would do better for recruiting than an 8 win season with a win against FSU.

I was being completely sarcastic. Please see the bottom of my post.

Mike James is a nice utility back, but not much more...I think everyone can agree to that.

OK blocker. OK receiver. OK rusher. He's the jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Agreed. The interesting thing is you also described Eduardo Clements. What I want to know is who is better at that role.

Advertisement
We need to see a little bit more from Clements to fully decide, but what I have seen so far it seems like Clements is a little bit more athletic, and he does have a good quick first step, so he hits the holes faster than James.

The dive to Hagans needs to be utilized. It's pretty much a
sure thing on short yardage.

I'm baffled why they insist on trying to go outside the tackle
just to see the TE miss his block and the play get blown up.

Also, can we never run the stretch again?

It should be a staple. Then again, you have folks begging us to utilize our tight ends every time reporters get to ask Fisch questions (and rightly so), and Walford would always be tempting for me in that spot. Along the same lines, reporters could toss out "why wouldn't you throw to Streeter"? "Lamar Miller is a first round back - you don't give it to him"? Mike James is obviously a coach favorite who works hard and it seems they wanted him to have this sort of role, perhaps feeling that he had earned it. We have a lot of options in short yardage that theoretically should be the nuts. Unfortunately the most simple one seems to have been forgotten, or alternatively is no longer preferred. I can't imagine why we would intentionally avoid it as great as it looked earlier. Frustrating.

I know Lu. I wasn't saying you were being serious. I just pointed out that I.O.U. Actuallys says what you wrote but he truly believes it.

He's a good guy and a great cane fan but sometimes he is blinded by being so close to the kids and the program

Advertisement
Anyone have any info on our other FB's? How has Calhoun or Sanders looked? (both are big- bigger than Hagens)

Anyone have any info on our other FB's? How has Calhoun or Sanders looked? (both are big- bigger than Hagens)

Calhoun is better but neither guy is UM-quality IMO.

Attachments

• KyronTaylor.jpg
    KyronTaylor.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 5,089
Hagens is 5 for 5 converting this year in short yardage situations.

Ranging from 1 to 4 yards.

Facepalm.

Attachments

• DugansHightower.jpg
    DugansHightower.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 12,822
Advertisement
I cant remember if it was NC or the game before but first play from scrimmage we ran the FB dive and our L Guard got blown up and we got like a 3 yd loss

Attachments

• Brini.jpg
    Brini.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 13,831
Agreed. The interesting thing is you also described Eduardo Clements. What I want to know is who is better at that role.

Clements, imo, b/c he has more open field potential and is more of a weapon catching the ball in the flats.

I too am disappointed in HAgans' lack of touches - loved loved what this kid brought to the table from his HS clips and we've basically underused him.

Attachments

• CMR.jpg
    CMR.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 14,958
My guess is that Hagens hasn't lived up to his potential as a blocker, and that has limited his use. I don't necessarily get it.

Attachments

• CMR.jpg
    CMR.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5,205
Advertisement
Back