Matchup of the Week: Miami Run Game vs. Toledo Defensive Front

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
UM’s trip to Toledo, Ohio is certainly no high profile out-of-conference road game. The Canes talent is far superior across the board in this one, especially at the skill position. But the Canes’ do recall that Miami let Toledo linger around for a while in last year’s game at Hard Rock. This year’s version is in the Glass Bowl and it is one of the biggest home games in Toledo’s history. The crowd will be rowdy and the Rockets will be on full blast. The best way to silence a crowd and demoralize an inferior team before they can get going is to pound the rock early and often. The Matchup of the Week: Miami Run Game vs. Toledo Defensive Front.

Against Toledo, I believe our skill guys on offense will give their defense ****. Quite frankly, they’d give anyone in the country fits. Big plays shouldn’t be hard to come by if the offense can get our athletes like Jeff Thomas and Brevin Jordan the ball in space and let them work. What I find key in this week’s game is the ability to find that balance.

The offense should be able to commit to the run game and control the ball and take the energy out of the stadium. Travis Homer and the offensive line haven’t really seemed to be able to get fully in sync just yet. There was obviously some great runs by all the Canes backs last week against Savannah State High School, but to me, the offensive line was a bit underwhelming at times. DJ Scaife has shown that he can be a mauler, and I’d have to imagine he will see more time as the year goes on. Venzell Boulware shown that he could get some more time too. I’ve seen some really promising things from the just about all of the guys on the offensive line but not for consistent stretches, by everyone at once.

Toledo is a much better test than last week. They are a really solid program in the MAC, and they also do a lot of recruiting in South Florida. A game like this, on the road, could help build that continuity and confidence on the Miami O-Line, allowing the offense to control the game, play in front of the chains and make the job easier for whoever is playing QB.

Travis Homer, Deejay Dallas and the young Lorenzo Lingard could be as good a RB trio as there is in college football. With the QB situation being what it is, the offense should lean on this group of ball carriers to, quite literally, carry the offense. CMR’s best teams have always been able to run the ball at will. I have to imagine the offense will have more of an emphasis on the run game this week, especially through the interior of the Toledo front.

Toledo’s defense will likely playing really aggressive and flying up field to keep the Miami offense from getting on the edge. The power running game on first and second down will be huge for opening up the offense for the playmakers and the play calling for CMR. I respect Toledo. I really do. They’re going to come out and play well-coached, inspired football. But if the Canes can’t consistently run the ball against the Toledo Rockets, then it won’t happen against anyone. Deejay Dallas said this Miami team is built to crush dreams, and I expect a dream crushing 200+ yard performance from him, Homer and the Miami running attack on their way to shattering the Glass Bowl on Saturday.

Advertisement
@Cory Grimes Thanks for the write up! You are suggesting to start shifting the OL to at minimum include Scaife, do you see him at RT and moving Donaldson back to guard?

I Personally believe that OL, QB and punter are the 3 positions to challenge the starters at!

Yeah I would agree with that thought. Scaife at tackle and Donaldson at guard. I think that could give the line a much needed boost. As long as Scaife can fully grasp the offense, I’d have to imagine we see him more and more.

Advertisement
UM’s trip to Toledo, Ohio is certainly no high profile out-of-conference road game. The Canes talent is far superior across the board in this one, especially at the skill position. But the Canes’ do recall that Miami let Toledo linger around for a while in last year’s game at Hard Rock. This year’s version is in the Glass Bowl and it is one of the biggest home games in Toledo’s history. The crowd will be rowdy and the Rockets will be on full blast. The best way to silence a crowd and demoralize an inferior team before they can get going is to pound the rock early and often. The Matchup of the Week: Miami Run Game vs. Toledo Defensive Front.

Against Toledo, I believe our skill guys on offense will give their defense ****. Quite frankly, they’d give anyone in the country fits. Big plays shouldn’t be hard to come by if the offense can get our athletes like Jeff Thomas and Brevin Jordan the ball in space and let them work. What I find key in this week’s game is the ability to find that balance.

The offense should be able to commit to the run game and control the ball and take the energy out of the stadium. Travis Homer and the offensive line haven’t really seemed to be able to get fully in sync just yet. There was obviously some great runs by all the Canes backs last week against Savannah State High School, but to me, the offensive line was a bit underwhelming at times. DJ Scaife has shown that he can be a mauler, and I’d have to imagine he will see more time as the year goes on. Venzell Boulware shown that he could get some more time too. I’ve seen some really promising things from the just about all of the guys on the offensive line but not for consistent stretches, by everyone at once.

Toledo is a much better test than last week. They are a really solid program in the MAC, and they also do a lot of recruiting in South Florida. A game like this, on the road, could help build that continuity and confidence on the Miami O-Line, allowing the offense to control the game, play in front of the chains and make the job easier for whoever is playing QB.
Travis Homer, Deejay Dallas and the young Lorenzo Lingard could be as good a RB trio as there is in college football. With the QB situation being what it is, the offense should lean on this group of ball carriers to, quite literally, carry the offense. CMR’s best teams have always been able to run the ball at will. I have to imagine the offense will have more of an emphasis on the run game this week, especially through the interior of the Toledo front.

Toledo’s defense will likely playing really aggressive and flying up field to keep the Miami offense from getting on the edge. The power running game on first and second down will be huge for opening up the offense for the playmakers and the play calling for CMR. I respect Toledo. I really do. They’re going to come out and play well-coached, inspired football. But if the Canes can’t consistently run the ball against the Toledo Rockets, then it won’t happen against anyone. Deejay Dallas said this Miami team is built to crush dreams, and I expect a dream crushing 200+ yard performance from him, Homer and the Miami running attack on their way to shattering the Glass Bowl on Saturday.

"Travis Homer, Deejay Dallas and the young Lorenzo Lingard could be as good a RB trio as there is in college football." I love our RBs but based on what would you say this??

"Travis Homer, Deejay Dallas and the young Lorenzo Lingard could be as good a RB trio as there is in college football." I love our RBs but based on what would you say this??
I’m saying they COULD be if the running game can get going. But without a push up front, they’re just another set of running backs.

@Cory Grimes Thanks for the write up! You are suggesting to start shifting the OL to at minimum include Scaife, do you see him at RT and moving Donaldson back to guard?

I Personally believe that OL, QB and punter are the 3 positions to challenge the starters at!

I would like them to try Scaife at tackle and Navaughn at guard. I don't see great play out of Mahoney but he grades out very high, I don't get it, but would appreciate if any of the more knowledgeable posters could opine.

Advertisement
We couldn't run on Savannah State, we probably won't be much better against Toledo.
I see the logic but these guys(OL) seem to be inconsistent and they most likely weren't as focused against Savannah St as they could have been. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we ran all over Toledo. Not saying we're the 92 Cowboys but Toledo likes to get up field in a hurry and I think we can run it between the tackles on them. We'll see.

Advertisement
Back