Off-Topic Mass killings

Gov. Greg Abbott (R), Texas has moved in recent years to loosen restrictions on firearms. In 2021, Texas began allowing permitless carry (so residents can carry handguns without a license) and “does not specifically put restrictions on who can carry a long gun such as a rifle or shotgun.”

I don't live in an open carry state so school me on how this scenario works in Texas. Let's say a guy just walks into a Texas mall wearing tactical gear and carrying his gun and ammo. No hostile intentions or shooting whatsover. That wouldn't raise ANY eyebrows? No reason for anyone (Mall Security or citizens) to say a word? He's seen as just exercising his rights? It would make me **** nervous, to say the least.
No comments on my post?? I'm seriously interested in how people in open carry states react to the bolded portion.

Advertisement
Curious why its not happening in Kennesaw where there is no place on Earth with more access to guns. Literally a gun in every household. Most have multiple guns. Gun violence is very low there.

fail... learn the definition of "low" because it does not equal zero.

I just can't reconcile not having a zero tolerance policy for gun crimes.

I heard from an assistant USDA that gun crimes aren't a high priority since they have quotas and gun crimes often take time to pursue.

I just think if you care about people dying, then doing everything to reduce that is paramount.

To be fair this sounds less like a problem with squishy prison abolitionists (as USDAs are appointed at the federal level and not elected locally) than a problem with the general incentive systems of DAs, which are to bring low cost, high certainty prosecutions. It's a complicated issue to be sure, one that is exacerbated by the fact that several state legislatures, at least one circuit court, and the supreme court continue to reduce the number of activities that qualify as "gun crimes" in the first place. The Fifth Circuit for instance, following the Supreme Court's Bruen decision, ruled that a federal law banning gun possession by individuals subject to a domestic violence protection order was unconstitutional. The idea that "lawful gun owners" aren't the problem is also problematic, because it ignores the fact that "lawful gun owners" perpetrated a lot of the most high profile recent mass shootings (Las Vegas, Buffalo, Uvalde, Nashville, Louisville).

Interestingly enough, I think throwing the book at people who commit gun crimes is an issue on which conservatives and liberals can be brought together.

fail... learn the definition of "low" because it does not equal zero.

Kennesaw is also a rural town of ~33K, so the proper measure would be whether it has lower crime compared to similarly sized cities. Sources are somewhat mixed but it sounds like even the local law enforcement attribute the safety there to other factors in addition to their unenforced mandatory gun ownership ordinance:

Advertisement
To be fair this sounds less like a problem with squishy prison abolitionists (as USDAs are appointed at the federal level and not elected locally) than a problem with the general incentive systems of DAs, which are to bring low cost, high certainty prosecutions. It's a complicated issue to be sure, one that is exacerbated by the fact that several state legislatures, at least one circuit court, and the supreme court continue to reduce the number of activities that qualify as "gun crimes" in the first place. The Fifth Circuit for instance, following the Supreme Court's Bruen decision, ruled that a federal law banning gun possession by individuals subject to a domestic violence protection order was unconstitutional. The idea that "lawful gun owners" aren't the problem is also problematic, because it ignores the fact that "lawful gun owners" perpetrated a lot of the most high profile recent mass shootings (Las Vegas, Buffalo, Uvalde, Nashville, Louisville).

Interestingly enough, I think throwing the book at people who commit gun crimes is an issue on which conservatives and liberals can be brought together.
That's just it. Zero tolerance means just that. Not letting one person off while throwing the book at another.

Make it a priority across the board.

Kennesaw is also a rural town of ~33K, so the proper measure would be whether it has lower crime compared to similarly sized cities. Sources are somewhat mixed but it sounds like even the local law enforcement attribute the safety there to other factors in addition to their unenforced mandatory gun ownership ordinance:

LOL its got the biggest college in Georgia in it and basically the braves stadium.

I live down the road. My daughter lives there.

And of course other factors matters... that's literally the point I was making. More guns does not equal more gun violence.

Advertisement
IMG_3512.jpeg

“SUV’s” are at it again.

Advertisement
I’m moving towards outright banning. I’m ******* tired of defending gun ownership.
Can’t do that. So you’re another one of those people with no real plan and no understanding of history? Great. Please continue on with your child like whining somewhere else.

When you come up with a real solution, feel free to rejoin the conversation.

Advertisement
**** off. I’m tired of this same **** every single ******* week. Don’t even dare accuse me of not caring ****

Yes, I will accuse you of not caring. A decent human being wouldn’t have posted what you did. You are just trying to make political points on top of freshly killed human beings.

**** off you ghoul.

Can’t do that. So you’re another one of those people with no real plan and no understanding of history? Great. Please continue on with your child like whining somewhere else.

Enlighten me ****face. What’s your solution?

Can’t? What did we have in mid 90s??

Yes, I will accuse you of not caring. A decent human being wouldn’t have posted what you did. You are just trying to make political points on top of freshly killed human beings.

**** off you ghoul.

A decent human being wouldn’t feign self-righteousness in their little NRA circle jerk. Spare me. This is what somewhat that ACTUALLY cares looks like. ******* tired. All this thread is now is a place where you gun toting ****wads can lick each other’s ****s. I’m. *******. Done.

Advertisement
Back