Off-Topic Mass killings

Yep, but doesn't make it "right." Evidence of training on proper use and handling/storage of a weapon should be required before purchase. Cars are often cited here as "lethal weapons." OK, you don't get to drive a car without a license requiring evidence of appropriate training.
Fair point.

Advertisement
Another ******* one. Don’t claim to have the answers for stopping this nonsense, but what we’re doing now is clearly wrong. Wake the **** up Republicans
I will make it simple for you since you are a simpleton. If you started the world over and did so without designed weapons of any kind, bad people would use something otherwise safe to be bad-hammers, baseball bats, cars, chains etc. But since you cannot start over, good people deserve the opportunity to protect themselves from bad people WHO HAVE WEAPONS INCLUDING GUNS. ”Gun control” is the liberal label for “good people control” because laws only control the actions of good people. To correct your ignorance, “Wake the **** up Liberals.”

Advertisement
Mexico has some pretty strict gun control laws, heavy background checks, and only one gun store in the whole country. It must be really safe there.

Any stats taking away Cartel murders?? How many non-Cartel shootings do they have??

Advertisement
Misread your post then if only talking about being safe.
People find ways to hurt other people. In China they attack schools and others with knives. That's not any better. People build bombs and drive trucks into crowds. That's not any better. The question that needs asking is why they do it in the first place. It's not like the lack of guns suddenly makes these people well adjusted individuals. They will hurt somebody somehow. That's what needs solving.

People find ways to hurt other people. In China they attack schools and others with knives. That's not any better. People build bombs and drive trucks into crowds. That's not any better. The question that needs asking is why they do it in the first place. It's not like the lack of guns suddenly makes these people well adjusted individuals. They will hurt somebody somehow. That's what needs solving.
We’ve had decades to figure it out.

Advertisement
But nobody cares to, now do they?
Nobody? I think I can name a few people that don’t want children to get shot. Columbine happened just a few years after I graduated highschool. How much research has been done on what motivates people to mass murder? What is the solution for an entire population? Is “we have a mental health problem” just a talking point for people to walk away from? I’m tired of hearing “we have a mental health problem” with no follow up for a solution.

Nobody? I think I can name a few people that don’t want children to get shot. Columbine happened just a few years after I graduated highschool. How much research has been done on what motivates people to mass murder? What is the solution for an entire population? Is “we have a mental health problem” just a talking point for people to walk away from? I’m tired of hearing “we have a mental health problem” with no follow up for a solution.
I'm tired of hearing banning guns is a panacea. Is it a coincidence that these incidents started once the idea of giving medication on an outpatient basis became widespread?

Just start public executions again.

And once someone is found guilty of murder - quick - before attorneys file an appeal - trot their *** out to the yard of the courthouse - and hang that SOB in front of everyone.

Public executions are an effective means of restraint for wannabe murderers.

I noted in Haiti - a van full of gang members stopped at a Police roadblock - had their weapons taken away, and they were ordered OUT of the van.

The citizens who'd been terrorized by gangs - killed them right there, the cops stepped back and let them do so, the neighbors piled on some tires, soaked everything in gasoline - and lit it off. Come to find out - not every single one was completely dead. Initially. But the fire took care of that.

You stop violence with even greater, more ruthless violence.

Advertisement
I'm tired of hearing banning guns is a panacea. Is it a coincidence that these incidents started once the idea of giving medication on an outpatient basis became widespread?
As a society we don’t value life. We idolize and worship things that don’t matter. One parent households are too common. Medications are handed out like candy. Crimes aren’t prosecuted. Blame is not given to the actual perpetrators. Instead everyone is a victim of something that made them do this. They are trying to repeal “stand your ground laws” in some places for ***** sake. Can you imagine crime spiking through the roof and acting like the solution is stopping law abiding citizens from protecting themselves? Absolute insanity.

Had nothing to do with weapons of any kind. We accept the crime and the violence. Period.

And once someone is found guilty of murder - quick - before attorneys file an appeal - trot their *** out to the yard of the courthouse - and hang that SOB in front of everyone.

I noted in Haiti - a van full of gang members stopped at a Police roadblock - had their weapons taken away, and they were ordered OUT of the van.

The citizens who'd been terrorized by gangs - killed them right there, the cops stepped back and let them do so, the neighbors piled on some tires, soaked everything in gasoline - and lit it off. Come to find out - not every single one was completely dead. Initially. But the fire took care of that.

I remember a long time ago in a law class the teacher mentioned that punishment must be swift to help be an effective deterrent. I would imagine that speeding up the punishment of death penalty would curb some people. I can also understand that people get falsely accused and also we have seen a mob mentality of wanting to punish someone who was defending themselves or was acting justifiably.

The first issue of falsely accused would be to limit it to people there is no doubt about. Having full video evidence of the entire event or possibly a substantial amount of witnesses. The mob mentality I am not sure how to overcome that. Certainly feels like that has been exposed lately as an issue.

What would probably help is getting rid of the people who are pushing soft on crime at the same time as wanting to push new laws for the results of the soft on crime. Another thing would be to get rid of the soft target policies.

Incredible suggestions here, truly. Yes, let's aspire to be Haiti - a literal failed state. Gangs control something like 60% of their capital city, and citizens who have taken the law into their own hands before have ended up getting burned in their houses as retribution by the gangs. And how exactly does the deterrent effect of public executions work on a shooter who walks into a public place with zero intention of leaving there alive, as was the case in the last several major mass shootings?

It's unrealistic at this point to ban guns, there's simply too many of them in this country and too many people who would never comply, not to mention there are legitimate purposes for them. I personally don't think that even needs to be the solution and is often just a straw-man to get people worked up; in many of these cases (though not all), a simple increased minimum age or restrictions on purchase would have sufficed. What I definitely don't think is the solution is reducing barriers to purchasing or carrying a gun, which several states either have enacted or are in the process of enacting. Florida's recent bill removing the need for conceal carry permits is particularly funny in the wake of two fatal shootings and something like 70 guns confiscated during the always nightmarish Miami Beach spring break season. What do they figure is going to happen next year? I'm a gun owner myself, and probably every other time I've been to the range some dingus does something completely idiotic that makes it clear they do not know how to responsibly handle a firearm. Does anyone actually feel safer knowing these sorts of people can now conceal carry everywhere?

From a policy perspective, our society has made the decision that having guns around generally outweighs not having them around. Or at least, some people decided that a couple hundred years ago and for a variety of reasons it's basically stuck. So instead of having crazy people run around with knives (and killing basically nobody), our crazy people run around with assault rifles in elementary schools. Pro gun people - the kind with maximally or even just very expansive views of gun rights - can hem and haw and act sad or outraged about mass shootings, but that's essentially the bargain they've made.

Incredible suggestions here, truly. Yes, let's aspire to be Haiti - a literal failed state. Gangs control something like 60% of their capital city, and citizens who have taken the law into their own hands before have ended up getting burned in their houses as retribution by the gangs. And how exactly does the deterrent effect of public executions work on a shooter who walks into a public place with zero intention of leaving there alive, as was the case in the last several major mass shootings?

It's unrealistic at this point to ban guns, there's simply too many of them in this country and too many people who would never comply, not to mention there are legitimate purposes for them. I personally don't think that even needs to be the solution and is often just a straw-man to get people worked up; in many of these cases (though not all), a simple increased minimum age or restrictions on purchase would have sufficed. What I definitely don't think is the solution is reducing barriers to purchasing or carrying a gun, which several states either have enacted or are in the process of enacting. Florida's recent bill removing the need for conceal carry permits is particularly funny in the wake of two fatal shootings and something like 70 guns confiscated during the always nightmarish Miami Beach spring break season. What do they figure is going to happen next year? I'm a gun owner myself, and probably every other time I've been to the range some dingus does something completely idiotic that makes it clear they do not know how to responsibly handle a firearm. Does anyone actually feel safer knowing these sorts of people can now conceal carry everywhere?

From a policy perspective, our society has made the decision that having guns around generally outweighs not having them around. Or at least, some people decided that a couple hundred years ago and for a variety of reasons it's basically stuck. So instead of having crazy people run around with knives (and killing basically nobody), our crazy people run around with assault rifles in elementary schools. Pro gun people - the kind with maximally or even just very expansive views of gun rights - can hem and haw and act sad or outraged about mass shootings, but that's essentially the bargain they've made.
Yes that is the bargain I’ve made.

I’ll take the violent society we live in 100% of the time over a society where the government and criminals have a monopoly on force.

Advertisement
Back