Off-Topic Mass killings

Advertisement
Must’ve been Federalist 86 where Madison said “everything I write should be taken literally from now until the end of time”
1653521666343.png

The 2nd amendment is about citizenry arming itself so the government does not have a monopoly on force, and enslave it.

You, along with plenty of other people might think that’s funny, but the DC sniper shut down an entire city. The Dallas cop shooters did the same thing. No government in the world, including ours, could fend off an insurgence from 50 million people.
Fair enough. I disagree with your interpretation of 2, though. Let’s, then, disband every branch of the military, give every citizen an m16 and 1,000 rounds, and spend the remaining 800.9 billion on other worthwhile ventures. That way we’d at least be following a strict/narrow interpretation of the actual document.

LOL should have known was flying thru the thread quick.

google traffic fatalities from the summer of 2020
Again… my point is that people are actively trying to work on this problem. It is not being ignored. If we want to play this game… google malaria mortality worldwide… or heart disease mortality in the US. Just because the mortality is high, doesn’t mean that people aren’t aware of the problem and aren’t devoting significant resources trying to resolve it.

I’ve worked as a surgery resident at a level 1 trauma center for several years. Gun violence and motor vehicle accidents are devastating to the individuals involved and I’ve seen many innocent adults and children suffer as a result. Both of these are almost always attributable directly to the actions of the driver or shooter. However, when we look at the consequences (severity of injury) and perform a root cause analysis, we can also find system based factors that lead to worse outcomes. While we can’t fix crazy, and we can’t fix stupid, we should effectively advocate for systemic changes that keep crazy and stupid from causing havoc. In the case of MVAs we’ve been able to do this. In the case of gun violence, we’ve not.

Advertisement
Fair enough. I disagree with your interpretation of 2, though. Let’s, then, disband every branch of the military, give every citizen an m16 and 1,000 rounds, and spend the remaining 800.9 billion on other worthwhile ventures. That way we’d at least be following a strict/narrow interpretation of the actual document.
This isn’t a genuine comment bc it makes zero sense. It’s about our citizens and our government. Has zero to do with protecting against foreign actors

Other developed countries that don't have the same gun violence prove that gun control works. It's a fact.

I agree 100% that it works, but it’s not really “gun control“ it’s basically what they’ve done in places like the UK and Australia where it’s nearly impossible for a private citizen to own a gun. The barriers to ownership are so high and so onerous that it’s nearly impossible, or most people just give up.

So I wouldn’t call that gun control, I would call that gun abolishment and gun confiscation.

Let’s at least have an honest discussion if we’re going to use those examples.

Kinda what the Swiss do, by force of law. Works for them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This isn’t a genuine comment bc it makes zero sense. It’s about our citizens and our government. Has zero to do with protecting against foreign actors
It does make sense - see Switzerland.

You’d think they would have made that (whatever you believe their intentions were) clear, in the document, when they were writing it. If, that’s indeed what they meant.

“The security of a free state” means…

“Militia” means…

“Arms” means…

It’s impossible to narrowly define those terms today, let alone proscribe specific meaning to those words when they were written in 1788 AND apply that interpretation to the facts as they are, now. Trying to do that makes no sense. Alas, here we are.

Advertisement
We pay a price for the freedoms we try to enjoy. Many of these ideas codified 235 years or so ago.

I don't know if we've kept up well, but here we are.

Kinda what the Swiss do, by force of law. Works for them.
Lol. I just mentioned the Swiss in a reply to someone else.

Not how I would go about things, but, like you said, works for them.

With an extra 800 bill a year, I do think we could do a better job addressing mental health issues that are, likely, the proximate cause (I can admit that). I just don’t think we have a monopoly on mental health issues, but we do have a monopoly on killing 8 year olds at school. So, something’s got to give.

Advertisement
Back