MARTELL Eligibility

I remember people finishing up a semester of undergrad at home and still getting their degrees from our school where they earned most of their credits. I had looked into it back then.

Sure, anyone can do that, but they can’t play as per the NCAA. It isn’t about transferring credits or a particular school’s rules regarding getting your degree. This is about the NCAA. If players could get around the rules doing this, it would be happening all over.

Advertisement
If I was him I'd argue that he should qualify under the 4 game rule as yes he played in 6 games, but in 2 of them he threw zero passes and ran twice and in another game he had zero passes and ran once. He really never played a meaningful snap after september. If I was him, I'd bring this up too although I'm sure the rule doesn't care about how many snaps you took or what you did. Coaches might **** over backup qbs if they put them in for 1 snap in 5 games and hand the ball off. I bet Martell would've done a Kelly Bryant too if he knew that he wasn't going to get any real snaps after september and if they were bringing in a transfer to be the starter.

If I was him I'd argue that he should qualify under the 4 game rule as yes he played in 6 games, but in 2 of them he threw zero passes and ran twice and in another game he had zero passes and ran once. He really never played a meaningful snap after september. If I was him, I'd bring this up too although I'm sure the rule doesn't care about how many snaps you took or what you did. Coaches might **** over backup qbs if they put them in for 1 snap in 5 games and hand the ball off. I bet Martell would've done a Kelly Bryant too if he knew that he wasn't going to get any real snaps after september and if they were bringing in a transfer to be the starter.

He used his redshirt already. I think you are also confusing the new redshirt rule and the transfer rules.

He used his redshirt already. I think you are also confusing the new redshirt rule and the transfer rules.

The transfer rule is what I'd try to use if I was him since those snaps really shouldn't count and he really only played in 3 games.

Advertisement
The transfer rule is what I'd try to use if I was him since those snaps really shouldn't count and he really only played in 3 games.
Doesn't matter as he's already redshirted.

What transfer rule are you referring to?

Also, Tate redshirt his first year. You are basically saying he gets two redshirts. Nope.

Advertisement
I don't think he'd transfer from OSU without even battling it out for a job if he wasn't sure he was eligible. Why agree to sit out a whole year to play when you may not have to?

Advertisement
How about Fields basis. Heard from he N word from the crowd at a game. Totally wrong to yell that. But the kid was identified as a baseball player. Kid was booted. Fields claims to fear for his safety. Fear? This is even though his sister remains at Georgia. Total BS excuse.

Saw this today on another board. General feeling there was both Fields and Martell will get their waivers.

"He will be eligible. Off top of my head he can point to Zach Smith and toxic environment at OSU. Claim some kind of moral code deal. Can say he was lied to about the Fields transfer and that Urban was gonna be his coach. If Fields has a case he certainly does."
"moral code" is the hot button here.

LOL...I came up with the idea of the moral code thing days ago on this board. Wherever you saw this on another board, they stole it from me on here.

I don't think he'd transfer from OSU without even battling it out for a job if he wasn't sure he was eligible. Why agree to sit out a whole year to play when you may not have to?

Because he’d potentially be sitting out the rest of his career behind Fields. Why would he do that? He’d loose another year. Then what? Transfer after next season?

Advertisement
I wonder what the reason is.

I had been thinking about this...in law school, there is a concept called "visiting student", which is where you can apply to spend your final year of law school at another school. HOWEVER, you still get your degree from your original school. A friend of mine spent his third year at UM Law, but got his JD from his original law school.

I am not sure if there is something comparable at the undergrad level.

Additionally, I believe that all of Tate's college credits have been from Ohio Taint classes. I wonder whether he could take one semester's worth of classes at UM and have those classes transfer to Ohio Taint, so he could still get his diploma from Taint. Now, his family might have to pay the spring tuition at UM just to keep things straight with the NCAA, but it seems like it could be worth a shot.

Just trying to think outside the box.
I see your point here, but if his family can pay our high tuition, He can take say 18 credits this semester, 6 on summer A and 6 on summer b so by late July right before Falls drills begin, he would have taken 30 credits at the U that is a full year load plus the credits he is transferring from Ohio St he should be able to graduate before the season starts and then for football purposes transfer wherever he wants be eligible to play and go to UM grad school. He should be able to practice during the Spring as a walk-on. which is allowed.

Because he’d potentially be sitting out the rest of his career behind Fields. Why would he do that? He’d loose another year. Then what? Transfer after next season?

He didn't lose the job and there is absolutely no evidence to suggest he's lose. Fields has proven nothing.

This makes no sense. He didn't get beaten out. He didn't have to sit out at OSU. Why transfer when he knew he'd have to sit?

The answer is .........he knew he didn't have to sit. So no penalty to transfer.

Its probably better that way. He can't really use any excuse if he "competes" and then bolts.

Advertisement
Back