Martell at WR

Advertisement
So, we hate a WR that was never even targeted for a pass in the game?

Looking at his short shuttle and high jump numbers, it’s pretty clear he’s a very good athlete.

When he goes in motion defenses have to specifically watch him because he’s a threat to run or pass.

He looked confident out there. People assume he can’t transition this fast, but remember that by virtue of his former position he knew all the routes and responsibilities of being a WR, taking the mental aspect out of the transition. This isn’t like switching from RB to WR where he had to learn all the routes. That knowledge was already there.
he looked FAST out there. Also Florida hyper focused on him every time he was in. I wish we had him run deep routes to open up some other passes.

Hate on him all you want but go back and watch the play where JT dropped the TD. You know who was wide open... Tate. If JW had gone through his progressions Tate walks in for the TD.
I saw Tate open a few times. He also blocked very well and we had at least 2 big plays with him in motion. The problem was JW was holding on to the ball WAY too long and that was whether Tate was on the field or not.

I saw Tate open a few times. He also blocked very well and we had at least 2 big plays with him in motion. The problem was JW was holding on to the ball WAY too long and that was whether Tate was on the field or not.
not to mention the florida defense went all in on martell when dj ran for 50 on the fake to martell

Advertisement
That would mean you think he would not be an effective WR. I think he adds another dimension to the overall offense while potentially being a good wr. He already has shown he can get open.
He just started getting reps at wr a week ago. I think the other guys can be more effective right now. Hightower is 6'3 210 why not see if he can use his size?

Advertisement
It is also worth noting that Tate Martell still worked in practice as a QB even after a week or so at WR. As well, he was listed as co #2 QB for this game.

I too was surprised at the amount of burn he got on Saturday. I did read somewhere on a message board that Pope got injured on the play where he made his only catch and I don't remember seeing him on the field after that play. That could be one reason why Martel got the extra reps. (unconfirmed on the injury just saw a dude post about it - FWIW)

He just started getting reps at wr a week ago. I think the other guys can be more effective right now. Hightower is 6'3 210 why not see if he can use his size?
They don't play the same position. I agree Hightower probably should get more reps, but he doesn't play the same position as Tate.

It is also worth noting that Tate Martell still worked in practice as a QB even after a week or so at WR. As well, he was listed as co #2 QB for this game.

I too was surprised at the amount of burn he got on Saturday. I did read somewhere on a message board that Pope got injured on the play where he made his only catch and I don't remember seeing him on the field after that play. That could be one reason why Martel got the extra reps. (unconfirmed on the injury just saw a dude post about it - FWIW)
Yeah he did come back in then left and the training staff was around him. Not sure if the hit on the slant was the original injury or something happened later.

But I saw them grab his helmet and he never returned.

Hightower did play bro..none of the wr can be effective if the QB is getting sacked 10 times..so regardless the WR rotation did not affect the outcome..it’s shouldn’t even be a discussion

Advertisement

Yeah he did get nicked

I thought there was one play he could have kept the ball and scored around the left end, from about the 10 yard line. Instead he handed off inside for nothing. The Canes coaching staff and the Gators obviously noted the same play. Next time Martell did keep it around the left side, and he was stuffed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back