Martell at WR

JgDaCane

All American
I really can’t believe what I was seeing last night. Everytime he is on the field it is like having one less WR. Lets face it, he is little to no threat to actually catch the ball. There is no chance in the world he is a better WR then Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, or Peyton. **** I doubt he’s better then Few. “The best man will play” Manny said & having Martell on the field in anything other then a trick play or decoy is just plain bull****.

Advertisement
Folks on here were probably stroking out like I was. We all knew they were going to force Tate on the field, but at WR?

Manny contradicted himself with that move. Now they should be concerned about players like Pope, Hightower, who are talented players and should have played more. The move made looked like the Richt/Dugans way of doing things all over.

I really can’t believe what I was seeing last night. Everytime he is on the field it is like having one less WR. Lets face it, he is little to no threat to actually catch the ball. There is no chance in the world he is a better WR then Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, or Peyton. **** I doubt he’s better then Few. “The best man will play” Manny said & having Martell on the field in anything other then a trick play or decoy is just plain bull****.
Receivers play positions. Tate plays the same position as Jeff Thomas and Pope

At the Z position you have

1. Jeff
2. Pope
3. Tate

Pope was injured which forced Tate into action

Advertisement
Folks on here were probably stroking out like I was. We all knew they were going to force Tate on the field, but at WR?

Manny contradicted himself with that move. Now they should be concerned about players like Pope, Hightower, who are talented players and should have played more. The move made looked like the Richt/Dugans way of doing things all over.
Keep in mind that WR play positions that have different assignments and routes.

1. JT4
2. Pope
3. Tate

When Pope when down, Tate was forced to play. From playing QB Tate knows the plays and routes.

What you may see going forward is another player being worked into the z position. It is hard to just change a players position if he has never played it before

Tate played because of an injury. Tate is also a threat/decoy that defenders pay attention to. Whether they should or not is a question.

Tate Martell cost this team nothing in this game. Jeff Thomas cost the team 14 points, Baxa cost the team 3 points, and the offensive line and play calling cost the team everything. At no point did Martell lose this game, at no point did he help win the game. The amount of whining about him is astounding.

Pope was injured? Since when? This is news to me.
When he caught that slant he got up gimpy. He can back in but went back to the sideline and they were talking to him.

He was the first one in to spell Jeff. I doubt coaches would keep him off the field. I am not sure if he got hurt on that slant or on another play. But eventually he had his helmet off and never returned

Advertisement
Keep in mind that WR play positions that have different assignments and routes.

1. JT4
2. Pope
3. Tate

When Pope when down, Tate was forced to play. From playing QB Tate knows the plays and routes.

What you may see going forward is another player being worked into the z position. It is hard to just change a players position if he has never played it before
Doesnt payton play the z? How is tate above payton?

Tate played because of an injury. Tate is also a threat/decoy that defenders pay attention to. Whether they should or not is a question.

Tate Martell cost this team nothing in this game. Jeff Thomas cost the team 14 points, Baxa cost the team 3 points, and the offensive line and play calling cost the team everything. At no point did Martell lose this game, at no point did he help win the game. The amount of whining about him is astounding.
Thats what i was thinking Tate wasnt out there cause hes a better reciever he was out there as a decoy and u could see on a couple of the wildcat plays when they ran tate in motion it was throwing off there D. Thats the o ly reason he was in at WR lol

When he caught that slant he got up gimpy. He can back in but went back to the sideline and they were talking to him.

He was the first one in to spell Jeff. I doubt coaches would keep him off the field. I am not sure if he got hurt on that slant or on another play. But eventually he had his helmet off and never returned
I did see Pope come up gimpy after the tackle by Wilson but I saw him come back in. I didn't realize he went back out due to injury. Thanks for the info bro. Makes sense now.

I believe using him with Dallas at qb was good to open up gadget plays but once he went under center I was highly upset!

Advertisement
I did see Pope come up gimpy after the tackle by Wilson but I saw him come back in. I didn't realize he went back out due to injury. Thanks for the info bro. Makes sense now.
I tried to look for information but did not see anything either. I am not sure if it was the slant that hurt him but like you said, I saw him come back in. Later I noticed the staff was talking to him but I could not see what they were working on. Next thing I knew his helmet was off and Tate started playing.

Here come the excuse makers with Pope was injured. Even with his injury why not put Thomas at slot the rest of the way and Wiggins or Hightower outside. It never happened. We heard all off-season how guys were working different positions we go to the guy who had been practicing at WR for a week. This wasn't about Pope's injury. This was 100% favoritism and it was disappointing to see. Hopefully this isnt an all season thing.

Advertisement
I thought they were just using him as a decoy, and hoping it would gain the attention of a safety. Hard to tell because JW never had much more than 2-3 seconds to make a decision. They were leaving the middle of the field open and rolling safeties over the top of both sides of the field. I thought we should have thrown a jump ball to Mallory down the seam in the red zone.

Tate was a reason for several big plays. UF was overly focused on him instead of their normal reads.

Advertisement
Back