Martell at WR

Would’ve like to have seen him get the end arounds Osborn got. Also him at WR kills the notion of him being a selfish dude, he’s trying to help the team out..

Advertisement
I took a beating last spring when I said that losing Cager was going to hurt and Im gonna say it again. The new staff letting Cager go without a fight was a mistake IMO. The new staff wanted their new guys to get more reps. I get that, but how nice would it have been to have a 6'-5" big body receiver to toss some jump balls to last night? (yeah I know, cue the "he would have dropped it" auto-responses- blah blah blah).

IMO the amount of reps given to Tate Martell last night drives my point home.

What other receivers do we have?

At the X position you have
1. KJ
2. Hightower
3. Wiggins

At the z position you have
1. Jeff
2. Pope
3. Tate

At the F position you have
1. Hartley
2. Walk on

You can’t move Hartley to the Z position because who would play the F?

You can’t be on game day asking a player to switch positions

Rewatching now. Pretty much what you said for the first half. Martell played 3 snaps. One was at wildcat and the other two were after JT limped off. Pope came off after the marco wilson hit. Kid probably had a bruised thigh.

One thing I'd like to highlight was at the 4 minute mark in the 2nd quarter, we actually trot out Harley, Hightower, and KJ. Only time we did that and it looked like a pre-determined pass to the RB out of the backfield. I presume they brought in Hightower because of his blocking ability. Hopefully Enos has something else to go with that because if not he's tipping his hand which will result in a wasted play.

Advertisement
Receivers play positions. Tate plays the same position as Jeff Thomas and Pope

At the Z position you have

1. Jeff
2. Pope
3. Tate

Pope was injured which forced Tate into action
Pope really got hurt? Obviously that sucks but it makes me understand why Tate was in the field so much.

I took a beating last spring when I said that losing Cager was going to hurt and Im gonna say it again. The new staff letting Cager go without a fight was a mistake IMO. The new staff wanted their new guys to get more reps. I get that, but how nice would it have been to have a 6'-5" big body receiver to toss some jump balls to last night? (yeah I know, cue the "he would have dropped it" auto-responses- blah blah blah).

Dawg No matter how you try to justify it, Cager would’ve still dropped those balls lmaoo

Advertisement

So he can drop more passes?

Advertisement
Hate on him all you want but go back and watch the play where JT dropped the TD. You know who was wide open... Tate. If JW had gone through his progressions Tate walks in for the TD.

Well, there was a DT in his face.

Either way, the ball should’ve been caught.

So, we hate a WR that was never even targeted for a pass in the game?

Looking at his short shuttle and high jump numbers, it’s pretty clear he’s a very good athlete.

When he goes in motion defenses have to specifically watch him because he’s a threat to run or pass.

He looked confident out there. People assume he can’t transition this fast, but remember that by virtue of his former position he knew all the routes and responsibilities of being a WR, taking the mental aspect out of the transition. This isn’t like switching from RB to WR where he had to learn all the routes. That knowledge was already there.

Advertisement
Osborn played all 3 spots in camp. Thomas can play z and slot. Your excuse makes no sense.
It’s not an excuse..some of y’all acting as if Tate at WR is the source too the offensive woes..not even close..idc if we AB on the outside there was no time to pass

I really can’t believe what I was seeing last night. Everytime he is on the field it is like having one less WR. Lets face it, he is little to no threat to actually catch the ball. There is no chance in the world he is a better WR then Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, or Peyton. **** I doubt he’s better then Few. “The best man will play” Manny said & having Martell on the field in anything other then a trick play or decoy is just plain bull****.
didnt know you are at every practice and know what Martell can or cant do at wr

Advertisement
Back