Marshall Few going to Air Force special ops program.

So I heard. Gates came in around Christmas of 06. I went full terminal leave in May 4, 2007. In reality, PA&E wasn't so bad, but they would run vignettes that were comical all to justify cuts. OSD(C) and SAF/FM on the other hand were the enemy.

Yes, McCain kept DM alive. We were able to get the A-10 PE program through but it was quite the fight. They did everything they possibly could to kill the Hog. They are going to SLEP the Hog finally. My son might get to fly it. I told him it would be a **** of a lot more fun than the Raptor.
F-22 is a badass jet, but a pain in the *** to work on. Not to mention the 3 big LED screens that look more like a tesla than a ****pit. I'd rather fly an A-10 with bullet holes covered in duct tape all day. The first time I saw an A-10 with its gun out, it blew my mind. It's literally a plane built around a massive gun. The 20 MM an F-16 uses are pretty legit, but the 30 MM from an A-10 are crazy. A-10 pilots have to throttle up when they fire that gun or else they'll stall.

The A-10 and B-52 will outlive us all.

Advertisement
F-22 is a badass jet, but a pain in the *** to work on. Not to mention the 3 big LED screens that look more like a tesla than a ****pit. I'd rather fly an A-10 with bullet holes covered in duct tape all day. The first time I saw an A-10 with its gun out, it blew my mind. It's literally a plane built around a massive gun. The 20 MM an F-16 uses are pretty legit, but the 30 MM from an A-10 are crazy. A-10 pilots have to throttle up when they fire that gun or else they'll stall.

Those A10’s can tear shlt up. if you’re on the ground and see one of those - instant diarrhea. That’s the thing about that type of weapon, you might actually see what’s coming. You might have a few seconds or even minutes of consciousness before you’re torn to pieces. That’s got to be worse than just something hitting you out of the blue - boom you’re pink dust

Fleet SEALs have conventional missions. For instance, one of our sniper teams in Mogadishu were fleet SEALs. They were pulled off the Lincoln. They were replaced with USMC snipers off the USS Denver. Loved those guys. They were grateful to be off the Denver, primarily because the AC units in their bunk area went **** up. Our JSOTF had temper tents. Also, I would run down to the Air Force TALCE and pick up real food for them. The ROE was anybody who got within the 400 meters of the embassy compound with a crew served weapon got lit up. The USMC sniper squad was very, very good.
**** it i havent said temper tent in years.....

Advertisement
There are four "Tier 1" units in the military

1. Delta
2. DEVGRU (seal team 6)- this is important- seal team 6 is the ONLY Tier 1 unit in all of the Navy Seals
3. 24th Special Tactics Squadron (USAF)
4. Intelligence Support Activity (ISA)

You probably never heard of the last two. Delta also doesn't like to toot its own horn. SEALS for some reason like to let everyone know they are SEALS.

Dropout rate is also not necessarily correlated with physical difficulty. There are certain cyber jobs in the military that have an even higher dropout rate than any of the special forces.

Is the 160th SOAR considered Tier 1?

This has been a great thread although I have to say I have not understood a lot of the terminology. A lot of abbreviations and so forth. Still, it is great to see how many of the posters here have served for our country. Appreciation for your service and dedication. I admire all of you.

And great appreciation to Marshall Few for his work and contribution to UM football and for his future service for our country.

Watch the movie "12 Strong". 2/12 were AF STOs* 1-CCP and 1-TACP (movie kinda implies they were all Army SF).

He'll direct fires and other special tasks to kill people and break things. They also have a CSAR component to their duties as well.

Absolutely tremendous for him to be selected. His dad is a Green Beret (I read?)... no surprise at all. Those cats are world class athletes.

*I thought about a sec... one was enlisted and one was an O... it doesn't matter... that mission set will be studied for years to come...
His dad is former green beret current CIA. Lol he’s bred for this the whole family is all military all the way back to the revolutionary war with William Few the ancestry can be traced.

Advertisement

When I worked at P&W during Desert Storm, there was a guy in drafting whose son was an A10 pilot. He told a story of an fighter pilot who parachuted into a valley and was waiting on rescue. One of the A10 pilots decided to circle until rescue arrived. An Iraqi troop truck showed up and headed down into the valley. Brrrrrt. No more truck. The pilot was safely rescued.

When I worked at P&W during Desert Storm, there was a guy in drafting whose son was an A10 pilot. He told a story of an fighter pilot who parachuted into a valley and was waiting on rescue. One of the A10 pilots decided to circle until rescue arrived. An Iraqi troop truck showed up and headed down into the valley. Brrrrrt. No more truck. The pilot was safely rescued.
The world has seen no finer and more capable Close Air Support platform* that the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka Warthog).

*apologies to AC-130 Spectre

The world has seen no finer and more capable Close Air Support platform* that the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka Warthog).

*apologies to AC-130 Spectre

Office Space No GIF

Not really disagreeing with you, saw an opportunity for a well placed gif and I couldn't pass it up. That said I'm completely biased to the 130, such a versatile airframe and they're putting freakin' missiles on the J-model gunships now. Not to mention it will likely be around for at least another 50+ years. I don't think troops in contact would complain about either.

The AF has tried to mothball the A-10 more than once but Congress keeps telling it to get bent, unfortunately they're not rolling off the assembly line anytime soon and I don't know how many times they can replace the wings before fatigue catches up with the rest of the airframe. I know the ones that received new wings are supposed to be good until the mid-late 2030's.

Advertisement
Office Space No GIF

Not really disagreeing with you, saw an opportunity for a well placed gif and I couldn't pass it up. That said I'm completely biased to the 130, such a versatile airframe and they're putting freakin' missiles on the J-model gunships now. Not to mention it will likely be around for at least another 50+ years. I don't think troops in contact would complain about either.

The AF has tried to mothball the A-10 more than once but Congress keeps telling it to get bent, unfortunately they're not rolling off the assembly line anytime soon and I don't know how many times they can replace the wings before fatigue catches up with the rest of the airframe. I know the ones that received new wings are supposed to be good until the mid-late 2030's.
Yeah the 22/35 were supposed to replace the A-10 & F-16, but both jets are good at what they do. The newer Saudi F-16s (block 60+) are pretty nice (we fly 30-50). 22/35 are incredible, but I'm pretty sure they still aren't flying live missions. I think the BUFF even got extended to like 2050 (which is crazy). If it ain't broke...

Yeah the 22/35 were supposed to replace the A-10 & F-16, but both jets are good at what they do. The newer Saudi F-16s (block 60+) are pretty nice (we fly 30-50). 22/35 are incredible, but I'm pretty sure they still aren't flying live missions. I think the BUFF even got extended to like 2050 (which is crazy). If it ain't broke...
Yeah Buff and 130 will be flying after I die. I have buddies who've worked on just about everything. U-2, B-1, B-2 etc. From all the *****ing I've heard over the years it seems the B-1 and C-5 are two of the biggest pigs in the inventory from a MX standpoint. B-1 is almost impossible to keep in the air and C-5 is a hydraulic nightmare apparently. Sometimes I miss it, mostly the camaraderie but **** standing outside scraping snow off of a 130 in 20° temps, those days are well behind me.

Advertisement
But the AC-130 is a badass plane in its own right. If one of those is circling over you, you should make your peace.
My last tour in Kandahar I had access to killcams on just about anything in theater. Not trying to glorify war, that's an entirely separate discussion. But Cot **** that Howitzer.

season 2 showtime GIF by Shameless

Israel's F-35's are flying live missions, I believe. Exactly what they are doing, I don't know.

Israel's F-35's are flying live missions, I believe. Exactly what they are doing, I don't know.
F-35s have flown combat sorties since late 2018 if memory serves...

still alot of kinks to work out though...

Bird has one critical mission (it has more, but you get point): invalidate Russia's S400 amd soon to be S500 ADS (a very sought after purchase round the globe)

Advertisement
Back