Marley Cook: "It's on now"

Josh Horton coming off injury? He's looking a little less girthier than I thought he would.

Hear Me Out Hold On GIF by Saturday Night Live

View attachment 285874

View attachment 285875
Is there anyone who isn't coming off an injury?

Horton played about 4 snaps in 2023. WTF happened?

Advertisement
I think we go after a big body.

I would love either one of the two Michigan state DT'S that previously entered the transfer portal last fall

Or better yet stealing Dione Walker from Kentucky ( the issue I could see is that he can be unfiltered during press conferences, which goes against Mario's keep it classy sportsmanship approach)

I wanted Miami to make run at flipping Kenneth Grant coming out of High school back in 2021 when he was a lowly 3* recruit,.

Go Canes

Last edited:
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes I'm sorry you disagree but I think Justin Scott, Jordan Lyle, Jojo Trader, Ny Carr should receive early playing time. I'd hate to see them stashed away this year in favor of a one year rental in another desperate attempt by the staff to win now instead of building a program through recruiting and player development.
There is no desperate ploy to win now. This is a must win season as I said barring injury to Ward. We have given Mario all of the asked resources possible given the time frame.

There are so many huge implications on the program hinging on this season being successful. It needs to be a success in a tangible way for program growth, stability, but more importantly future financial procurements from new conference/TV contracts, potential rebranding our program via new athletic sportswear partnership, and lastly the impact on the 2025 recruiting cycle is not only the class to “re-establishing” our program as dominant again. The list puts Miami’s name back in every kid’s household again.

If football playmakers/starters who have been productive and proven starters against great competition, who want into this program because they see something special brewing, must be considered at positions of need. Now this must be done sensibly and I think extreme diligence will be taken by Mario and staff. I don’t see us taking any depth fillers except at DB without going into who is likely be moved on for both parties. All of the portal guys I expect us to be after the staff would need to feel that not only are they a program fit, but will immediately fill a void currently not established. The expectation would be they should play/impact the game immediately. A RB1, a big body DT that is immovable on 1st down runs or short yardage, CB depth, a WR1 if a bonafide one becomes available (skeptical). I’ve heard the coaches feel confident in the WR group, but that some surprising possible WRs have made it known they are for sale.

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes I'm sorry you disagree but I think Justin Scott, Jordan Lyle, Jojo Trader, Ny Carr should receive early playing time. I'd hate to see them stashed away this year in favor of a one year rental in another desperate attempt by the staff to win now instead of building a program through recruiting and player development.

They should play if they can earn reps from a legit top quartile starter. Otherwise they shouldn’t. We need a one year rental at IDL who can get an interior push and take on doubles THOS season to take us to the playoffs.

They should play if they can earn reps from a legit top quartile starter. Otherwise they shouldn’t. We need a one year rental at IDL who can get an interior push and take on doubles THOS season to take us to the playoffs.
Playoffs?

If your expectation is for an interior DL adept at rushing the passer AND taking on double teams is going to fall out of the sky then I'm afraid we're not on the same page here with all due respect.

Advertisement
Cook?

If he’s not, what’s the plan?
If looking at strictly DTs…

JHH and Clark starting (Clark will probably average 40-45 snaps?)

Horton and Cook second team? Gore? Ew.
Justin Scott, Moten 3rd team?

Mesidor on certain packages inside, potentially Bain as well?

If Moten can’t crack the second team by now, that’s a transfer candidate. We desperately need another big body that can be relied on to contribute 25-30 snaps a game, minimum. We have no idea if Horton can contribute. Blount probably needs a shirt. Nothing on Campbell either, so that’s probably another whiff.

Advertisement
If Moten can’t crack the second team by now, that’s a transfer candidate. We desperately need another big body that can be relied on to contribute 25-30 snaps a game, minimum. We have no idea if Horton can contribute. Blount probably needs a shirt. Nothing on Campbell either, so that’s probably another whiff.
I've joked about how our best player is always on the bench, but there's a whole lot of truth in this sentence.

If looking at strictly DTs…

JHH and Clark starting (Clark will probably average 40-45 snaps?)

Horton and Cook second team? Gore? Ew.
Justin Scott, Moten 3rd team?

Mesidor on certain packages inside, potentially Bain as well?

Agreed about Moten. I’m cautiously optimistic just from what I’ve been told by people that know more than me, but it’s time for him to step up

Agreed about Moten. I’m cautiously optimistic just from what I’ve been told by people that know more than me, but it’s time for him to step up
Me too, I thought he was gritty and had a decent motor at times in what I saw from various spring games.

Hopefully he’s ready to eat up some quality snaps. If not, then pull the plug this portal window. That’s a decision for the head huncho.

Advertisement
Me too, I thought he was gritty and had a decent motor at times in what I saw from various spring games.

Hopefully he’s ready to eat up some quality snaps. If not, then pull the plug this portal window. That’s a decision for the head huncho.
We haven’t done a good job finding an alternative. He’s really kind of the only guy that fits the mold. I do believe the portal will be active but **** it’s still tough to bank on suddenly finding some monster DT in the portal. Would probably cost us more than Cam

We've got a 5-star talent set to arrive next month but this staff is so portal-happy they probably forgot all about that. If the opportunity arises would you please ask them when's it going to be enough?

This is trolling, yes?

Assuming it isn't, if you wanted a preview of what our DL play looks like going into this season, check out that Rutgers game again. No true frosh, five star or not, is going to solidify our DL play, even with the rest being a year older. If he's mostly ready to go, he'll get his opportunities. It's a big ask to have him to start though.

Advertisement
Back