Markeith Williams DB 2022 - COMMITS !!!

Advertisement
Why is Fegans, the highest rated CB on the board potentially switching to safety? Other than message board talk because he's a big CB what basis is there for it?

No. He is coming in as a corner. But he is big so people here think he’s a safety cause they know more than trob
Nowhere in that statement did I say he’s coming in at safety. I said potentially switch to safety. 6’2, rangy and 180+ before college S&C, he would be our biggest CB if he enrolled today. Last testing numbers show a 4.7 40, as numerous people have pointed on this board before that he could be just as perennial at safety as Cb, of course this is also predicated on if singletary decides to join this class. If singletary joins, the staff is taking 4 dbs and figuring it out later.

Advertisement
Yes, but Leon almost doesn't count. He only played his senior year and he got the offer from Miami fairly quickly, so playing at Evans didn't help/hurt him. But that's another Miami great who hailed from Evans. Good catch.
Leon was originally from Maryland. Do you know when his family moved to Florida? Did he only play football his senior year? That would explain why he wasn’t on any of the national recruiting lists and when I got his name from a friend as a commitment I was dumbfounded. Others on that list included Marty Golloher and Eric Miller, as I recall. Also Anthony Hamlet. Three of the four turned out to be major contributors.

That early inside information was very disappointing. None of those names were known in national recruiting. Back then, I subscribed to every recruiting publications, had a circle of contacts who were plugged into people at the Hecht Center, and occasionally spoke to the “gurus” like the world genius Max Emfinger, etc.

An an aside, Anthony Hamlet has done quite well for himself. He was, and still might be, the School Superintendent for Pittsburgh area schools.

Still employed by Canes. I'd like to think he's happy about it.
They put him to work in the area he was weakest. Obviously, Mike’s personality wasn’t the best suited to recruiting. We’ve had some great coaches who did not have the personality to be a great recruiter. Tony Wise was one. Maybe their just trying to help him overcome a weakness. I hope their not just trying to show him the door.

Animated GIF
The OG of the Gifs.

Boy Will Mallory always been smooth.

Advertisement
Leon was originally from Maryland. Do you know when his family moved to Florida? Did he only play football his senior year? That would explain why he wasn’t on any of the national recruiting lists and when I got his name from a friend as a commitment I was dumbfounded. Others on that list included Marty Golloher and Eric Miller, as I recall. Also Anthony Hamlet. Three of the four turned out to be major contributors.

That early inside information was very disappointing. None of those names were known in national recruiting. Back then, I subscribed to every recruiting publications, had a circle of contacts who were plugged into people at the Hecht Center, and occasionally spoke to the “gurus” like the world genius Max Emfinger, etc.

An an aside, Anthony Hamlet has done quite well for himself. He was, and still might be, the School Superintendent for Pittsburgh area schools.

Yeah, my dad worked at Orlando International Airport with Leon's dad, that's how I first heard about Leon, who was one year younger than me. My dad started asking me if I knew any of the UM football coaches, and if Miami was really serious about Leon (unfortunately, I was only a freshman at the time).

From what I recall (and my dad has since passed away), the family moved to Orlando around Leon's freshman year of HS. Again, I'm going from memory here, but I think that when Leon tried to play Pop Warner style football in Maryland, they wouldn't let him play because he was too big, and in junior high they wouldn't let him play either. Then he didn't try out for HS football at Evans until Bill Gierke convinced him to play in the jamboree game at the end of his junior year.

Fortunately for Leon, he was living in Orlando, and Bill Buchalter (just recently deceased) put him on a Florida Preps best-of list, which helped to get Leon some recruiting buzz (well, that and his SIZE).

But, yes, as you point out, the recruiting gurus back then had to share information via word-of-mouth, you didn't have the internet, and videotape hadn't yet become a huge factor in scouting. It was all "hey, I heard about a kid" and "let's go see this kid in person"

Nowhere in that statement did I say he’s coming in at safety. I said potentially switch to safety. 6’2, rangy and 180+ before college S&C, he would be our biggest CB if he enrolled today. Last testing numbers show a 4.7 40, as numerous people have pointed on this board before that he could be just as perennial at safety as Cb, of course this is also predicated on if singletary decides to join this class. If singletary joins, the staff is taking 4 dbs and figuring it out later.
He may be taller but he is not bigger than Tyrique

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back