Mark Richt retires from coaching, releases statement

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
In a stunning move, Mark Richt stepped down as the head coach of the University of Miami on Sunday afternoon and announced his retirement from coaching. After stepping down, Richt released a statement explaining the decision.

"Dear Hurricane Family:

A few hours ago, I informed UM Director of Athletics Blake James that it is time for me to retire from coaching so I am stepping down as the Head Coach of UM Football. The decision came after a great deal of thought, discussions with my family, and prayer. This was my decision.

The University of Miami has been a part of my life for more than three decades. It shaped me as a young man and provided me with the coaching opportunity of a lifetime. My love for The U is simply great. My true desire is for our football program to return to greatness, and while terribly difficult, I feel that stepping down is in the best interests of the program.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to the entire Hurricane Family for welcoming me back home and for supporting the outstanding young men in our program. I only wish that we could have achieved greater things in return. I also want to thank President Frenk and Blake for their incredible support, as well as the outstanding men and women in UM Athletics. Most importantly, I want to thank the incredible coaches, staff, and their families who gave their all to The U each and every day, and our student-athletes, who wore The U jersey with pride and who worked hard towards their degree.

Katharyn and I will be cheering on the Canes in the years to come and The U will never leave our hearts.

Sincerely,

Mark Richt"

Richt ends a coaching career that spanned over 30 seasons, beginning with Florida State in 1985 as a grad assistant. His head coaching career lasted 18 years and the former Miami QB won a total of 171 games as the program leader for both Georgia and Miami, good for 40th all-time in career wins among head coaches. Richt ends his Miami career with a 26-13 record and led the Canes to their first-ever Coastal division title and ACC Championship Game appearance in 2017.

AD Blake James will hold a press conference today at 3:30 pm.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I can not believe it.

I did think if the admin pressed Richt about dropping play calling he would seriously consider retirement but I didn't think he would let all that money go. Richt ain't the best coach but you're lying if you say the man isn't a man of character because it takes character to bypass a 4 Mill salary for the next 5 years. Best of luck to Richt and his family.

But yea, We were basically Richt's rebound after a long marriage with UGa.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know he is a very decent man and those are very rare to find these days. It is sad it had to come to this point, but with that said he brought this down upon himself. Attaching himself to Rosier was his ultimate downfall. He should have gone with Perry or the other 2 qb's. He would have a least the excuse of starting a freshman and taking our lumps would have been expected.
A sad end to an otherwise good career.

MarkRichtGone.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back