Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins to enter the transfer portal

Advertisement
It was nice knowing you guys.

genMid.A10736871_14_4.jpg

According to Navarro's recent podcast, the staff tried to nudge both of them out in the summer. But they wanted to stay and "work on stuff".

Advertisement
Wrong. Stacey Coley might have always been “injured” but he’s the opposite of Mark Pope. He could beat the jam, he’d make catches in the middle of the field and he was one of the best contested ball catchers we’ve ever had. How many prayer goal line fades did Brad Kaaya toss to a perfect covered Coley that he still caught? Mark Pope never caught a contested ball ever. If he wasn’t given a free release, he could easily be jammed or thrown off his route because he was so weak. If there was. DB anywhere near him, he’d get scared and lose concentration and drop the pass because he was deathly afraid of being tackled.

I get it that if you’re a smaller guy, sometimes it’s the smart move to just get out of bounds instead of trying to take a bunch of hits but you can’t be AFRAID of being tackled. It’s literally why Pope was so good in 7 on 7. He knew he wasn’t going to get hit so he wouldn’t lose concentration trying to catch the ball.
I'll never understand how Coley did not carve out a nice career for himself in the Nfl.

Can someone explain to me why they'd transfer at this juncture of the season? They're not going to jump on another roster and play this year, right?

So if you're not going to play at all for anyone this season, why not wait until the end of the season? Maybe injuries happen and one finds himself with some PT. You get to keep practicing and hitting the weight room and improving your craft. And, if you wait till the end of the season, you look like less of a discontent or a quitter and more appealing to another program.

Can someone explain to me why they'd transfer at this juncture of the season? They're not going to jump on another roster and play this year, right?

So if you're not going to play at all for anyone this season, why not wait until the end of the season? Maybe injuries happen and one finds himself with some PT. You get to keep practicing and hitting the weight room and improving your craft. And, if you wait till the end of the season, you look like less of a discontent or a quitter and more appealing to another program.

He possibly has a landing spot already secured.

Advertisement
He possibly has a landing spot already secured.
Well, let's assume that's true. Is he eligible to start practicing/playing w/ another roster? Is that permitted? I'm not up to date on this stuff.

And, let's assume he put some feelers out and x program is interested. Wouldn't that interest still be there at the end of the season? I dunno. I just don't see the value in leaving at this point. I don't blame them for transferring but it seems like the window to do that was prior to the season.

Wiggins' drop and Pope's cornerback play against Southcentral Connecticut were the last straw.

Well, let's assume that's true. Is he eligible to start practicing/playing w/ another roster? Is that permitted? I'm not up to date on this stuff.

And, let's assume he put some feelers out and x program is interested. Wouldn't that interest still be there at the end of the season? I dunno. I just don't see the value in leaving at this point. I don't blame them for transferring but it seems like the window to do that was prior to the season.

My guess is that he’s finish up classes at UM this semester (probably another month) and then make the change. So in some ways, they are doing in preparation to make the move in jan.

Good question though

Sounds like a bit of sour grapes to me. Both had the chance to prove they were starters, but couldn't get the job done. Now they have competition and are giving up, instead of competing for the job. Do they think some coach will just hand them the starter position without proving they deserve it? If so, I would not want to be on that team.

Advertisement
Anyone know if DJ Ivey is in the portal? Dudes posting photos in a location that’s not Miami looks like Jamaica. Seems odd for a game week

Probably just trying to get a leg up on the competition. The portal will be packed with WRs at the end of the season. Makes sense to get your name out there early in hopes of grabbing a spot.

I hope both of them do well in whatever they set out to do. Both good kids despite their on the field deficiencies. The staff was drooling over Pope. Paradise camp when Jeudy Devonta was there they were saying Pope dominated right up there with them 2. There was massive hype internally coming out. Idk I didn’t see it on Pope, but I loved Wiggins coming out.
The old "If UM signed them, they must be future All-Americans." If they had signed back then with FSU, they woulda been trashed.

Advertisement

To not have to deal with Nanny Diaz, that’s why

Advertisement
Back