Mario vs Utah Round 2

All those blue chips and top 10 classes in the weakest P5 conf and 2 years in a row with 3 conference losses. At some point you have to look at how he runs his team, it's not just game day decisions, bad evals, coaching and scheme must be at play. Oregon was one of the most penalized teams in the nation too, Brown couldn't play at BC and he brought him over.

I'm not against the hire, but I'm not a believer rn

Advertisement
Wow. This game just made me feel uncomfortable about Mario. They beat him twice.

I don't know what to think. He's better than Manny but the cost of improving to "Still getting beat down by lesser opponents" is high. We can't be wrong because the deal will probably be long. They're giving out 8-10 year deals now that are hard to get out of.

Problem is that it’s not just this game…. It’s two games with almost the same outcome in a two week period.
And in between only beat Oregon State by 9. It’s a joke that he still has so many supporters after getting curb stomped twice by Utah. There’s a trend and it’s going downwards.

Now he’s getting into heated arguments with his own players. Serious red flags everywhere.

Problem is that it’s not just this game…. It’s two games with almost the same outcome in a two week period.
Do you think Duke could come up with a scheme to beat us if we played them this afternoon?

Sometimes you just don't have the horses - we all saw it two weeks ago in the prior Utah match up.

Advertisement
Utah is a well coached, physical team that was just playing better by the end of the year and was inspired to go to their very first Rose Bowl.

I think people have to give Whittingham and Utah major credit rather than make this an indictment of Mario and his coaching.

Utah is a well coached, physical team that was just playing better by the end of the year and was inspired to go to their very first Rose Bowl.

I think people have to give Whittingham and Utah major credit rather than make this an indictment of Mario and his coaching.
Whittingham is what Mario purported to be on the field and does it on 60% of the salary with a recruiting classes in the 30's. It's an indictment.

The players quit on Mario. One called him a fraud. There was no effort on defense to tackle anyone.

These issues could follow him here. If he loses the respect of players here forget about any success

Advertisement
IDK about that. He's hasn't even been named as the coach and some fans are already reluctant.

I don't think he'll get all the good will people think he will. Bad losses will remind fans of Diaz. Fairly or unfairly, Mario will be compared to Manny. Some fans on CIS are already calling Mario "Manny Deluxe. "

The proof will be in the pudding. Will fans stop showing up to games if/when bad losses occur?

Mario will be in a good/bad spot. There is talent on the roster. Fans are going to expect an improvement next year. There can't be another 7-5 record not even in year 1 because fans know Manny could/should win st latest 8/9 games with this roster. Mario can't win less than 8 games in any season and he has to improve from one year to the next. Not even year 1. It's a pretty low bar IMO considering playing in the Coastal. Fair or unfair, that's the job. That's why Manny will be fired.
The problem is year 1 he has to go to a&m and Clemson. I definitely could see an 8-4 year next year.

The problem is year 1 he has to go to a&m and Clemson. I definitely could see an 8-4 year next year.
Yah, I could see thet under Mario. The team should win 10 games. The Coastal will be even easier next year with top QBs from Pitt, UVA, and UNC all gone plus VT, Duke, and UVA all with new coaches.

We'll have the best QB in the league and should have the best offense in the league. Where does the other 2 losses come from? Another FSU loss and road loss to VT? That would put Mario or whoever is coach on the hot seat.

You have to win the games you're supposed to win especially with a far superior talented team. This is why Manny will be let go.

UM did better against Michigan St than Oregon did against Utah, yet everyone said the MSU game was the final straw for Diaz. Odd.
While I agree that Mario’s performance was ****…. The final straw for me with Manny was losing to a bad FSU team after losing to a bad NC team and a bad Virginia team…

I’m not sure if Mario is the guy, but manny definitely isn’t.

I honestly hope we do a thorough coaching search, But sounds like the job is Mario’s to lose…. I’m not sure how it’s different from Blake just giving the job to Manny after a 2 hour extensive search.

Advertisement
Yah, I could see thet under Mario. The team should win 10 games. The Coastal will be even easier next year with top QBs from Pitt, UVA, and UNC all gone plus VT, Duke, and UVA all with new coaches.

We'll have the best QB in the league and should have the best offense in the league. Where does the other 2 losses come from? Another FSU loss and road loss to VT? That would put Mario or whoever is coach on the hot seat.

You have to win the games you're supposed to win especially with a far superior talented team. This is why Manny will be let go.
Mario has proven he will drop at least 1 game a year that he shouldn't. Now I also wouldn't be surprised if he beat Clemson next year. I also could see the exact thing that happened to him this year (upset A&M, drop a game in the coastal, lose to Clemson in the regular season and ACC championship game). If we don't upset a&m, then we are looking at 9-4 including a loss in the ACC title game

The problem with Lane is background. There are some real issues there and it’s deeper than social media swag and philandering.

As a coach, him and Durkin are an awesome tandem.
Yea, Steven Godfrey has been alluding to that. Lane may never get a really elite job again.

Advertisement
Where’s D to defend this guy’s ineptitude? Been saying all along he is not the answer, bring me Lane

Mario has proven he will drop at least 1 game a year that he shouldn't. Now I also wouldn't be surprised if he beat Clemson next year. I also could see the exact thing that happened to him this year (upset A&M, drop a game in the coastal, lose to Clemson in the regular season and ACC championship game). If we don't upset a&m, then we are looking at 9-4 including a loss in the ACC title game
If Mario beats Clemson it will buy him a lot of good will. So will getting to the ACC title game AND being competitive in it. However, he can't back door his way into the title game or get there going 8-4.

The talent on this roster and the offensive weapons make this a 10 win team. I think Diaz could win 9 games next year. No, I don't want Manny to stay. I'm just pointing out that this roster has a lot of talent. The offense should score 40+ unless some OC screws it up playing conservative.

The Coastal is going to be even worse next year. Duke, VT, and UVA will have new coaches. Pitt, UVA, and UNC will lose their very productive QBs. We will have the best QB in the ACC.

Expectations will and should be high regardless of of a new coach and staff. It's their job to adapt to the talent and get the most out of it. All the peices are already in place. A high scoring offense with playmakers at QB, RB, WR, and TE. Good and some great talent on defense. There are a few holes to fix in run blocking and getting the right guys playing LB, improving corner and edge rushing. DT and safeties are solid. Teams should have to score 40+ to beat us. We should look like the good Oklahoma teams on offense. With good coaching, we should own the Coastal. That will be the expectation. Fans don't want to hear excuses about year one and it takes time, etc. Fans know the talent. They see a weak division that should be dominated. Again, it comes with the job

1664070173194.jpeg

Advertisement
Back