Mario quote from new CBS interview

It is OK to have different emotions at different times.

There is nothing wrong with having some optimism in a new coach (whether that is Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, or Manny) based on their initial statements and actions for how to address any shortcomings and how to make improvements.

It is also OK to lower one's expectations when the output is not in line with the promises made.

And if is fine to change one's mind from "I support new Coach X" to "I am fine with UM firing Coach X" when the games are played and the outcomes fall woefully short of both promises and expectations.

We've hired six head coaches in the last 20+ years. Nothing wrong with giving them a little bit of rope along with the million-dollar (or multi-million-dollar) contracts. Hold people accountable based on subsequently produced results and Ws and Ls, and not because of Day 1 Hot Takes and the bizarre desire to be the "first" porster to predict doom and gloom.
Pretty much this .

it’s basic human psychology.

The “new opportunity” and the promise of transformation is powerful.

It’s why ever year people make resolutions even if they don’t plan on keeping them.

Advertisement
So far, Mario has shown that he has Manny’s gimmick, except he doesn’t leak anything out ahead of announcements, so you don’t know what’s coming, and apparently all of the decisions are well thought out, so there aren’t regretful missteps. So to sum it up, Mario is showing the full package, especially the guevos to back his talk up and Manny was all talk with spastic changes to maintain approval of others while not having any clout to bring in those that could have been beneficial. I vote for Mario!

I'm not doubting him, but every coach we've hired, people have said the same thing.

The guy just gets it, or some variation of that.

No doubt though that we're seeing change. Positive change for certain.
Except for this guy has the connections (coaching tree and history with other coaches) and the balls to fight against the big boys. And we now have given him the money to work with.

Manny’s coaching tree was a stick in the ground with a single branch named Blake Baker. I get the expectation of hyperbole given the prior 4 regimes, but tell me where Jon Patke would have a position on this staff (wouldn’t even be an analyst and meanwhile he was an on field coach for both Richt and Manny).

premier league football GIF by Blackburn Rovers
Great player

Coach MARIO will bring us back to glory days. He ain't PHUKING around. The new version of butch davis. I'm so pumped.

Advertisement
If nothing else, he'll always be the coach who helped turn this place from casual, amateur hour clown show, to serious progrum that is ready to spend money and invest in resources like the big boys. We've needed this for almost two decades now.

We were in the middle of an arm's race with nerf guns and Mario showed up with blueprints to a nuke.
There will have to be results though. Not winning the coastal for 3 more years will see the momentum and money start to dry up.

There will have to be results though. Not winning the coastal for 3 more years will see the momentum and money start to dry up.

That's something I thought about re Mario. I hope the financial commitment is here to stay from Frenk and his successor, and this wasn't just a perfect storm of ESPN embarrassing us and a lot of the big players having ties to Mario.

Remember the reports were they were rolling with Manny again if he said no.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back