Mario quote from new CBS interview

If nothing else, he'll always be the coach who helped turn this place from casual, amateur hour clown show, to serious progrum that is ready to spend money and invest in resources like the big boys. We've needed this for almost two decades now.

We were in the middle of an arm's race with nerf guns and Mario showed up with blueprints to a nuke.
miniGif_20200422172516.gif

Advertisement
Ouch.

"You ever been to Augusta?" Radakovich asked, referring to the Georgia-based site of the Masters. "Augusta is surrounded by strip malls and industrial areas. And then you go down Magnolia Lane and there's this oasis of Augusta National. There's a little bit of that here [in Coral Gables].

This was a weird quote to me.

First off, "You ever been to Augusta?", comes across pretty smug/tone deaf. I don't know why but those types of comments always rub me the wrong way.

Second, he's referring to a singular golf course surrounded by nothing. The area immediately surrounding Coral Gables is very uninspiring but Coral Gables is pretty large and it's absolutely beautiful. And then there's Coconut Grove and Miami Beach 15 minutes away. Just seems weird to visualize it that way in an interview.

It's funny how many of us have said the same things for over a decade straight and we're called every name in book.. mopes, haters of program, told to be banned, etc.. but now herbstreit is said to deserve a statue and Cristobal is speaking gospel..

Either way thank gawd someone wit clout made moves because most on board were happy to just tailgate and watch us in mediocrity getting our **** pushed in while singing it's great to be a Miami hurricane..
A-*******-men, brother. It's a good thing I don't carry grudges or care to remember who said what on a message board, but the word "mope" seriously needs to get retired from this place. Like, dragged out behind a barn and shot between the eyes retired. I have some serious animosity built up for all the people who said this could never happen, and anyone who was pointing out the truth was just a mope, hater, don't be a fan later, whatever. You know who you are, stand up and admit you were wrong and apologize. Serenity now...

Mother****ers said we were being "unrealistic" wanting real coaches and real AD's. Told me I was a lunatic for suggesting we back up the Brinks and go get Rad. Well, look where we are now, you ******* 15-0 ****lickers. You're very ******* welcome.

iu

Advertisement
A-*******-men, brother. It's a good thing I don't carry grudges or care to remember who said what on a message board, but the word "mope" seriously needs to get retired from this place. Like, dragged out behind a barn and shot between the eyes retired. I have some serious animosity built up for all the people who said this could never happen, and anyone who was pointing out the truth was just a mope, hater, don't be a fan later, whatever. You know who you are, stand up and admit you were wrong and apologize. Serenity now...

Mother****ers said we were being "unrealistic" wanting real coaches and real AD's. Told me I was a lunatic for suggesting we back up the Brinks and go get Rad. Well, look where we are now, you ******* 15-0 ****lickers. You're very ******* welcome.

iu

x factor GIF

"Mario's basis and his foundation is the line of scrimmage," Radakovich said. "… That gives you a chance to win. You'll find the skill players." AMEN!!!

Advertisement
I'm not doubting him, but every coach we've hired, people have said the same thing.

The guy just gets it, or some variation of that.

No doubt though that we're seeing change. Positive change for certain.

Anyone can say it. That doesn't mean they get it, understand it or exude it.

Golden had his "are you kidding me" moment in his presser, but it was fluff. Shannon was a former player, but had zero head coaching traits and was an outlier. Richt was the epitome of the vacation mentality with "paradise" and early retirement back "home" after 25 years in Tallahassee and Athens.

There's a night and day difference when a proven guy, a Miamian and two-time champ is saying these things—a guy who learned under Saban and was well on his way with Oregon.

Advertisement
My favorite quote from Mario in recent days is that he wants to run a power spread offense… similar to the offense that Alabama has transitioned to.

Music to my ears… not back to the outdated “pro style” offense but not all the way to the finesse Air Raid style.
Importantly, Bama ran over Cincinnati when the matchup dictated but in the SECCG did not waste too many plays trying to run into a wall because of a philosophy of "we are balanced and physical", they found the matchup that worked and passed 44 times.

I'm not doubting him, but every coach we've hired, people have said the same thing.

The guy just gets it, or some variation of that.

No doubt though that we're seeing change. Positive change for certain.
But besides Richt none of the coaches in last 15 years had ever been in charge of a program where they had actually did it. Mario is credible based on his prior work.

Advertisement
If nothing else, he'll always be the coach who helped turn this place from casual, amateur hour clown show, to serious program that is ready to spend money and invest in resources like the big boys. We've needed this for almost two decades now.
We were in the middle of an arm's race with nerf guns and Mario showed up with blueprints to a nuke.
Exactly! You hit that out of the park my man!

Anyone can say it. That doesn't mean they get it, understand it or exude it.

Golden had his "are you kidding me" moment in his presser, but it was fluff. Shannon was a former player, but had zero head coaching traits and was an outlier. Richt was the epitome of the vacation mentality with "paradise" and early retirement back "home" after 25 years in Tallahassee and Athens.

There's a night and day difference when a proven guy, a Miamian and two-time champ is saying these things—a guy who learned under Saban and was well on his way with Oregon.
"Are you kidding me" is burned on my soul. It's when I lost my innocence RE Head Coaches.

They've always been grifters to me since.

My favorite quote from Mario in recent days is that he wants to run a power spread offense… similar to the offense that Alabama has transitioned to.

Music to my ears… not back to the outdated “pro style” offense but not all the way to the finesse Air Raid style.
"Pro style" is not out dated. The Super bowl will feature 2 head coaches that base out of that....just sayin'

Advertisement
Back