Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario... (I'm not a fan of his and wish he'd stay off my lawn)

Advertisement
Yep. His playoff run with a first round QB is still talked about in Eugene fondly!
QB's can make the coach. The offense is stacked for the next coach. I don't think that anyone can mess next year up for us. Give Mario TVD and a talented OC and he'll do great in year 1. Give Manny the same and he'll do great next year and so would Lane.

Advertisement
D43C958D-857A-4FE3-B318-6DAF6F763DF6.jpeg

If he wins out and beats a good bowl team, there's no reason to assume that he hasn't turned things around.
Other than his recruiting, middling defense, and alienating all donors.

The difference between riding a talented qb to 8 wins and a national title is the same difference between a 3rd world **** hole that discovers oil and a super power.

QB's can make the coach. The offense is stacked for the next coach. I don't think that anyone can mess next year up for us. Give Mario TVD and a talented OC and he'll do great in year 1. Give Manny the same and he'll do great next year and so would Lane.
If Diaz stays, the 2022 team would look virtually identical to this year.

We also have no recruiting class or depth.

Rambo is by far our best receiver and that unit will have to prove itself.

With Rivers back, maybe the OL improves.

DL is a wildcard. Punter is a wildcard.

No LBs.

No CBs after Tyrique.

I do not believe next year's team will be better than this year's.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Okay, now do Lincoln Riley.
The guy who makes the playoffs annually and who is winning with bad QB play this year? LOL good one. OU has their worst QB play in a decade and assuming they lose to gundy today have an excellent chance, in their worst year in a while, of matching Mario’s high water mark by missing the playoffs but winning a major bowl. Amazing point.

Advertisement
Other than his recruiting, middling defense, and alienating all donors.

The difference between riding a talented qb to 8 wins and a national title is the same difference between a 3rd world **** hole that discovers oil and a super power.
IMO, Its good to look at things in that aggregate sometimes but smart money also notices current trends.

If Manny finishes strong he'll have a better first 3 years than Mario did. And about 3 short of Lanes first 3 years. Lane would go on to 10 wins in his 4th year before falling back to 7 wins the next year. Manny will probably get 10 wins next year. A few different bounces and it could have been this year.

Manny is on the same trajectory. You're literally getting the same coach at similar points in their career. He's cheaper, no team mutiny and most of all he has THE qb.

If Diaz stays, the 2022 team would look virtually identical to this year.

We also have no recruiting class or depth.

Rambo is by far our best receiver and that unit will have to prove itself.

With Rivers back, maybe the OL improves.

DL is a wildcard. Punter is a wildcard.

No LBs.

No CBs after Tyrique.

I do not believe next year's team will be better than this year's.
TVD.

I stood on my soapbox last summer and pounded the streets about DK. And I was wrong about his growth. So I could be completely wrong about TVD. But I'm even more sure about him than I was about DK. Use your own eyes and knowledge of the game.

QB's transform average teams to conference winners.

We found Rambo in the portal. He was not a sure day 2-3 receiver before he came. Now he is. That will sell to other talented receivers. There are more Rambos in the portal. And we have younger guys with a higher ceiling than him on already on deck.

Out LB's have a chance to be solid with everyone returning and by adding Chase Smith. He's already up to 230lbs. He can play! Then we hit the portal for another LB.

Our DT's have chance to be good with Taylor, Harrison-Hunt and Miller.

I think Manny could get 10 wins out of this team. I also think Lane and Mario could as well.

A smart AD will know he has a few options at play.

How many times does manny have to teach you he isn’t gonna win a bowl game lmao
People lose until they win. But yeah his record in bowls has been bad. I'm not sure that this guarantees he'll never win. But who knows. This won't be Manny's last head coaching stop.

If he wins out, he won't be a shamed coach. He will be the "We're going in a different direction for real" coach. Temple thought he was ready even before he got his experience in. Another school will get him. Maybe even right after we fire him...should we fire him.

Manny probably knows that.

Advertisement
Back