Mario has lost this team. What now?

Advertisement
I know this was sarcasm but honestly, is there anything he can do to make the fans happy at this point?

Fire Gattis and bring in a spread staff- "Mario is still forcing the offense to suck"
Well, it worked for Manny for a couple years. The O improved when he brought in a guy that at least had some idea of how to score points, not just eat clock. Wasn't perfect, but he worked with what he had.

In my humble opinion you should always work with what you have until you have the talent to do what it is you really want. You always have to do what you can with what you have, or you run the risk of never getting the parts you need to do what you want. Why? Because players see you failing to get the most out of the talent you currently have and promises on the recruiting trail hold less water than results on the field.

Is it that Mario lost the team or the team can't stand Gattis and it has spread to the defensive side of the ball?

I literally have no problem with burning this roster down to a few and starting over with a new culture. Obviously, we need to replace Gattis, but I don't like the heart and passion I see from the players. Too easy to quit. Clean house of this toxicity except for the worthy ones. I would rather lose with a team giving it all than a bunch of quitters who back down after they get hit in the mouth.

Hey, I have an idea let's just fire the entire coaching staff every 6 months! That'd work right? You know show them we are SERIOUS about the program. It won't affect us at all, coaches and recruits are DYING to come here cause WE DA U
tenor.gif

Right there is no cool side of the pillow for them…came to play for Manny, Mario comes in like a stern wrecking ball, the players then regress - while getting their asses kicked on the field — so what is the payoff

While I 100% agree that they should have personal pride and realize it is their future at stake, I can see the problem.

Coaches want buy in, ask for it, but the players aren’t getting better or winning so what is the buy in for??
Exactly. You get buy in when you win. Or at least score touchdowns. Or at least look better in November. We are doing none of these things.

Advertisement
I trust Mario and his process. Results at Oregon look good to me.

We will see how great the current Miami players are when the NFL does their evaluations.

When Mario was hired- was there one person, anyone, who said Mario is a good game day coach- a true Xs and Os guy?

All he is good at is recruiting. And he is poised to sign our best class in decades all while showing a terrible product on the field.

Mario is doing what he was brought here to do. The same can not be said for Gaytis or Steele. Steele at least has shown glimpses.

Mario needs to overhaul the coaching staff, recruit like crazy, and kick *** in the portal. That’s what he can control.
All of this. But is he self aware enough to understand that he needs to get out of the way of the DC and OC?

Is it that Mario lost the team or the team can't stand Gattis and it has spread to the defensive side of the ball?

I literally have no problem with burning this roster down to a few and starting over with a new culture. Obviously, we need to replace Gattis, but I don't like the heart and passion I see from the players. Too easy to quit. Clean house of this toxicity except for the worthy ones. I would rather lose with a team giving it all than a bunch of quitters who back down after they get hit in the mouth.
If 75% of the starting 22 wanted to portal out of here after the season, I would wish them well as they walked out the door. The Duke game is what really soured me on these players. They flat out just didn't try especially in the 2nd half.

Advertisement
We just have to shut up & let Mario work bro.

Do not question him, do not say anything negative about what’s happening or the Coaching staff. It’s the players fault & this stupid fan base needs to shut their **** mouths & let Master Mario work his magic.

Expect for 70 transfers in the offseason & we’re going 15-0 next year...

But if we don’t, it’s because we have a team full of Frosh & Transfers & the team needs more time to gel.

Everybody just needs to shut up sit quietly & smile, it doesn’t matter how many games we lose, as long as we have Mario that’s all that matters.

These players went 7-5 last year. With Miami having better WRS in Harley and Rambo and in a spread offense. 7-5. These are not his players. They tuned him out because they want their gummie breaks back.

No one has said Mario is perfect or is beyond reproach. He made serious mistakes in his hires. But to think he wont turn this around with all the NIL support Miami has is crazy imo. Literally from FIU to Oregon he has succeeded. Why would it be different here? Is he going to stick with Gattis for 4 years? Because I am willing to bet he will get way better players , even portal studs plus this nasty recruiting class. He will fix for sure tweak the coaching staff. I'm not predicting 15-0.

But This should be our worst season and see improvement every year from here on out. That's not being koolaid fan boy. I think it's realistic considering his track record, especially at a dump like Oregon that is lucky to have 1 top 100 player each year.

When Mario was hired- was there one person, anyone, who said Mario is a good game day coach- a true Xs and Os guy?

All he is good at is recruiting. And he is poised to sign our best class in decades all while showing a terrible product on the field.

Mario is doing what he was brought here to do. The same can not be said for Gaytis or Steele. Steele at least has shown glimpses.

Mario needs to overhaul the coaching staff, recruit like crazy, and kick *** in the portal. That’s what he can control.
This is facts. We all know Mario is going to recruit. He’s held up that end of the bargain so far. However when he was hired a lot of us thought it was imperative he hired a staff that could actually coach. He hired a couple of his buddies, a bunch of guys also know more for recruiting and coordinators who should not be working at the P5 level. I can give the Steele hire a pass since we knew what we were getting with him. The Gattis hire was a straight F- move.

This year is done. Try to keep the committed guys on board, move on from players who wan to be elsewhere and completely revamp the staff.

Advertisement
If the team is lost, we will have to wait until the last detractor either graduates or transfers. The latter will take place so after this season if the turnover is substantial then we will know who. IMO it’s more than likely a so called leader on the team.

This will be a slow build like harbough did at Michigan. He was almost canned twice in 8 years now they are a power it seems

Advertisement
This team has given up on Mario. So at this point we may loose all or most of the rest of the games. So what now? I am curious what everyone thinks. Do we stay with the current status? Does Mario keep the guys he hired before the OC/DC...and what about the OC/DC? I think there is a revamp that is required. Maybe I am wrong, but this is not working.
JFC.

These players went 7-5 last year. With Miami having better WRS in Harley and Rambo and in a spread offense. 7-5. These are not his players. They tuned him out because they want their gummie breaks back.

No one has said Mario is perfect or is beyond reproach. He made serious mistakes in his hires. But to think he wont turn this around with all the NIL support Miami has is crazy imo. Literally from FIU to Oregon he has succeeded. Why would it be different here? Is he going to stick with Gattis for 4 years? Because I am willing to bet he will get way better players , even portal studs plus this nasty recruiting class. He will fix for sure tweak the coaching staff. I'm not predicting 15-0.

But This should be our worst season and see improvement every year from here on out. That's not being koolaid fan boy. I think it's realistic considering his track record, especially at a dump like Oregon that is lucky to have 1 top 100 player each year.
This is right. i don’t understand why everyone thought this offense would be better. We have worse WR, worse RB, worse O line and a hurt QB. Why are ppl surprised how bad this offense looks. lashlee’s offense was fun, but it also never worked against a good defense. manny got fired because the on field product got worse and so did recruiting. This guy has completely fixed he recruiting from day 1 and has us recruiting at the highest level in over a decade and you want to get rid of him so we can have an “fun offense”. Gattis offense system needs actual talent to run, it’s not a smoke and mirrors and go so fast you hope To confused them and scheme a big play. when was the last time you saw a WR or RB make someone miss and just make a **** play? The problem is we don’t have the talent. Again factor in injuries, when TVD was out we were literally worse at every single position on offense from a 7-5 team. Some of y’all need a reality check. He tried to warn y’all from the jump that this roster had a ways to go, you just didn’t listen.

Advertisement
Back