Mario defenders - Let’s hears those excuses

Excuses for what, losing a game the team should have won? There are none, but that's never been the point. Mario was brought in to reestablish a championship program. That's an incredibly difficult, multiyear challenge requiring major financial investment. No one said it would all go in a straight line. Stop the bytching and support the program. No one wanted this setback.

Advertisement
I know the Middle Tenn loss just happened so of course it'll feel worse than a game 25 years ago. But here's what happened....

Covington was the QB of 1998 Miami (but I agree Clement & Kenny Kelly were painful). So Miami had an NFL QB and Pro-Bowl RB's, WR's, TE's

Beamer was a great coach - but this wasn't the Michael Vick/Kevin Jones/Antonio Freeman VT.

This was Al Clark (QB)/Lamont Peugues (RB)/Ricky Hall (WR) VT. VT lost to a 2-9 Temple in 1998.

2022 Miami-Mid Tenn is Guys who might have a cup of coffee in the NFL vs Non-NFL players. 1998 Miami-VT was NFL HOF'ers vs Non-NFL players.

The gap between Reggie Wayne & Santa Moss vs VT WR's was MUCH wider than Keyshawn/Brashard Smith vs Mid Tenn WR's.

The gap between Edgerrin James vs VT RB's was MUCH wider than Henry Parrish vs Mid Tenn RB's. Same at almost all positions if you compared.

So we just turned the ball over on 3 straight possessions vs Mid Tenn, right? Now imagine if the next 3 possessions after that we turned it over twice and had a FG from the 3 yd line blocked?

That was VT 1998. It was double the Offensive Fail with WAY more talent.

I won't argue if you don't think it was worse - but believe me brother, it was definitely just as bad
VaTech loss would determine the future going forward in 98. Its history,, immutable.
Mtsu will determine our future Now. I have little faith in current staff.
So it Stings a bit more.
As an aside, you're one of the few Rational I've met on CIS..

Excuses for what, losing a game the team should have won? There are none, but that's never been the point. Mario was brought in to reestablish a championship program. That's an incredibly difficult, multiyear challenge requiring major financial investment. No one said it would all go in a straight line. Stop the bytching and support the program. No one wanted this setback.
Why?
Mario never presided over a national championship team in his coaching career..

hour-glass-timer.gif

Butch did leave us pretty, that's a fact.
Mario is on the clock... will he flounder and fold, or leave a proud legacy at the U.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

I wonder how many bytching about Mario now wanted Butch gone back in the day. I'm old enough to remember it was the popular take. Terrible game day coach, blah, blah...

Advertisement
I wonder how many bytching about Mario now wanted Butch gone back in the day. I'm old enough to remember it was the popular take. Terrible game day coach, blah, blah...
Two COMPLETELY different circumstances...not comparable at all. Mario couldn't, and will never come close to duplicating what Butch accomplished.

Two COMPLETELY different circumstances...not comparable at all. Mario couldn't, and will never come close to duplicating what Butch accomplished.
You know I'm with you with Butch, the only huge difference now is Miami is a has been since most of these kids were born. Butch had to sell the kids for sure, I think Miami held a little more clout still back then. Convincing them to come with all the bad press, his hit % of recruits, nothing short of miraculous and makes him the GOAT.

Advertisement
Let’s see if DanRad is more than a Flake James desk ornament after this season and if he will pressure Mario to change up his offensive coaching staff/philosophy.

dudes a corch i'm sorry guys, look at what pederson just did with the jaguars.

that's excellent coaching and what it does, and corch corstobal should have something of that look but he does not. The jaguars went from a laughing stock to ****ting on two teams back to back within their first 3 games. That's coaching and nothing but coaching.

Advertisement
dudes a corch i'm sorry guys, look at what pederson just did with the jaguars.

that's excellent coaching and what it does, and corch corstobal should have something of that look but he does not. The jaguars went from a laughing stock to ****ting on two teams back to back within their first 3 games. That's coaching and nothing but coaching.
Lawrence made some throws in that game that were insane.

Couldn’t agree more. After 18 years of rotten culture, mediocrity, and bad recruiting evals, this was never going to be a quick turnaround. Go back to Jimmy and Butch, and you’ll see moments that looked exactly like this one.

How Mario works out is TBD. But we’re in week five of year 1. Imho, we’re at least 2 years away from being a consistent 9-win team, and 3-4 years from being nationally relevant. Even the greatest coaches had transition years (Bama 7-5 in 07’; Dabo 15-12 his first two seasons; Luke Fickell 4-8 his first season). It’s not gonna be easy. Also dumb to say we’re doomed. Theres a pretty clear record of good coaches having growing pains and making a jump after.
We have the stupidest fanbase in college football. The majority of our fans are entitled ******* or undereducated. This board is chalked full of well educated, intelligent and football savvy posters. The emotional maturity is refreshing.
You couldn't be more wrong. My father took me to games when the 'Canes played on Friday nights in the '70's. No one's excusing anything, hence 'alarming'. So since your old school, you would've fired JJ after the way the '84 season finished? What I was stating is that every ***-clown in the year 2022 thinks they're an 'expert' because social media provides a forum for THEIR OPINION to be expressed. Coaches aren't given the time to work at building a program. The same time that JJ was given to build a juggernaut. Not saying necessarily that Cristobal will. TIME will tell. You can make statements like 'unacceptable', blah, blah, blah..but there's simply NOTHING any of us can do other than ***** & moan or withdraw support from the program. Have at it.
exactly! Very well said

Advertisement

Unbelievable.

Tell me what people were saying in 1997. It wasn't "it's okay, Butch is really building something special". You don't understand how heavily you are leaning on hindsight.

It’s only going to get worse. I don’t think the avg Canes fan comprehends the magnitude that hiring Gattis is going to have on setting back the Mario era
Yup. Needs to cut bait now and hope Ponce can get a little momentum going to build for recruiting and next year

Unbelievable.

Tell me what people were saying in 1997. It wasn't "it's okay, Butch is really building something special". You don't understand how heavily you are leaning on hindsight.
Mannnn...stfu...Not my problem what other people think. I know what I thought and believed, and in the end, I was right.

Advertisement
Back