Mario Cristobal

Cristibal made $475K in base pay when he went to Bama.

Alabama gives raises to football assistants, not Saban

So, you're suggesting he had bonuses that totaled another $275K???

Ask your brother how many assistant coaches get bonuses that are more than half of their base salary.

So, yeah. You posted bull****, clown.

Base salary you clown. I know plenty, brother has coached at USF, Michigan, WVU, through his career. I don't come on here and post bull****

Not quite there pal. It is not just bonuses, these are not your average corporate job pay structure. As the other poster enlightened you before his bonus was around 115k. There are other escalators and incentives these coaches get throughout the year that bump their total pay, just like say pro athletes who have incentive laden contracts. Those excess payouts far exceed salary sometimes. Examples of this are car, vacation days (yes they get them, and never use them) so they are always paid out at end of the year which is an extra months pay ;) , working camps believe it or not, and others. So as you can see, this is not your basic pay structure and the fact that you think it is just base plus bonus shows how ignorant you really are, clogging a thread for no reason, by posting published salary only.

You keep responding ...

So, I'll keep responding ...

Interesting that you've edited the responses to hide the fact that my original response is to your bull**** claim that Cristobal left a $350K position at Miami for a $750K position at Alabama, though. But even using your methodology, he wasn't making that when he left Alabama for the Oregon Co-OC job.

But I'll humor you ... Let's assume you can achieve your $750K pay at Bama in HIS FIRST SEASON. Which you can't, but I'll humor you;

If Cristobal could bonus and fringe benefit his way from $475K to $750K at Alabama, what are you suggesting his base pay, bonus, and fringe benefit package at Miami was?

Based on your theory ... Cristobal was almost making as much from his bonus and fringe packet as he was making in total pay at Miami??? :monkey-serious:

Using YOUR theory, Miami must have been paying him $125K before his bonus and fringe benefit package, since these assistants don't make the average "corporate job pay structure". :11263323124_b207743

You're making up numbers to support a premise.

I probably should have let Franchise's comment carry the point; Which is you have no clue what Cristobal made at Miami or what he made at Alabama.

And the guy who co-signed the bonus structure for you is citing 2016 numbers. I've already established Cristobal didn't make the same salary in 2013 that he made last year.

Are you ridiculous enough to think he made the same bonus on a lesser salary, in 2013?

Don't reply to this unless you have some actual numbers and support. Otherwise, you'll just continue posting your bull**** theory on why you are OK with Cristobal taking the Miami job and bolting a month later.

By all means ... Have your own opinion on the subject. This is a message board, and that's your right. But you can't substantiate that opinion with made-up "facts", and get all bothered when you get called out on your "fact" not being a fact.

I'm ok with him leaving Miami because more than the money, the career growth he was afforded working with Saban far outweighed what he would gain under Golden. That is also a fact.

You are forming an opinion based on published salary, these contracts expand much further than that. Miami until Mark Richt got here was behind in the arms race quite a bit. FACT. He made a lot more and advanced his career under Saban. That is real talk

Point to this incredible career growth he achieved in his 5 years at Alabaga. He got demoted once then took a minor pay raise to be a co-OC in name only who doesn't call plays all the way across the country in an area of the country where he has no professional or personal ties. Larry Snott advanced his career better working here.

Advertisement
Here's one for ya...if mario saw how bad al was, why didn't he stick around and angle for the HC job when al inevitably got fired? He's an alum and wouldn't have much golden stink on him after only a year or two, surely UM would give him a shot at interim at the least.

you're forgetting one thing

we're under a new administration now, one that not only cares but seemingly goes at least a LITTLE out of their way to help the football program

the previous regime ( donna... I can't even say the full name, we'll just say those whom we do not speak of ) wanted this football program to die

it wasn't nearly as enticing as it is now

Donna wasn't trying to kill the program, she just wasn't making it a priority. You can rightly claim that the HC position looks more enticing now than when she was in charge, but come on.

And that has nothing to do with what I said. Whoever was at the helm, mario would have most likely gotten the interim gig and a serious look for the HC job. Dude was basically handed a future HC position by his alma mater and he took off after a few weeks. He played himself which I don't care about, but we deserved better.

Alma Mater or not, more than double the salary and opportunity with the top head coach in this business outweighs working for a MAC coach at your alma mater.

Kevin Beard just did the same thing, loyalty in this business is non existent when opportunity comes knocking. What is so hard to understand about this.

Can we please stop promoting this mythology?!?!? Cristobal didn't get $750K to go to Bama!

►Mario Cristobal to $525,000 from $515,000.

And that's from a 2016 article, so he was likely earning less when he took the job in 2013.
Alabama pumps up strength coach's salary to $525,000 a year

You guys have no clue how college coaching contracts are worded. 525k is base salary, there are other escalator type clauses that boost them up each year.

According to the USA Today, Cristobal had a Max bonus of $115k (disclosed), bringing his total potential comp to $640k. Of course, that is only cash. It does not include other contracted benefits like a housing stipend, per diems on travel days and recruiting trips, vehicle, etc.... As a private school, UM does not need to disclose its salaries, so we can only guess at what he was making at UM, but coming off his firing from FIU (where he was making $450k/year), it was at least $200k/year less than his max comp at Alabaga (because we can safely assume 2013 UM would not pay an assistant coach more than what he was making as a head coach the season after he was fired from that position).

Regardless, I am unfazed by Mario Cristobal visiting campus -- it's the coaching equivalent of a networking lunch and happens all over the country in the off-season. He accepted a job at UM about four years ago and left about one month less than that. The guy made a business decision for himself and his family at a stage in his career where he needed to be concerned about increasing his profile and upward mobility (in particular coming off his firing at FIU). Most people would do the same thing, albeit to degrees. If I was a coach would I give UM a discount for my services? Absolutely. Would that discount be $50k/year? $250k/year? $500k/year? Who knows. But the one certain thing is it's always easy to give away someone else's hard-earned money.

Are you angry he's back on campus? Stop living in your feelings from four years ago. Think long term. Consider that he may have some information or skills that make him valuable to the program, if not presently, at some point in the future. You think CMR gives two ****s about what happened four years ago if it can help him win games or make his team better? Of course not. Be better at all costs, and don't go burning bridges that you may one day desire crossing.

EDIT: I will say this... if he had gone to FSU or UF (or even Notre Dame or OSU), I would have a much harder time hearing he's on campus.

Problem with this whole post is you have no idea what he was making at UM, what his potential bonuses were at UM or if he maxed out his bonuses at Alabaga.

What we do know is that his alma mater gave him a lucrative gig after he got fired. We know that he quit on his alma mater a few weeks later. And we know he had nothing good to say about UM when he was recruiting directly against us for several guys at Alabaga.

So fvck him and his "business decisions" up his ***. As it turned out, his "business decision" did nothing to advance his career that he couldn't have accomplished here. He likely would have been named the next HC here had he stayed and rallied the troops. At worst, he gets a high profile gig like Larry Snott did. In fact, Snott's gig as OC at UT is a bigger advancement than non-playcalling co-OC at Oregon.

I agree with a lot of this -- anyone discussing his salary is making a "best guess" at his total compensation (at UM and Alabaga) with only part of his salary information. And at least in the short term, his time at Alabaga has not skyrocketed his career. He was named Recruiter of the Year in 2015, which I doubt he would have won under Al Folden, but in the long run I doubt that matters much to his long-term goals. As far as title, "Co-Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach" is not a huge improvement over his position at Alabaga, "Assistant head coach/tackles and tight end/recruiting coordinator." Based on the way Oregon pays its assistant coaches and the title bump, I would have a hard time believing Mario is making less money at Oregon than he was at Alabaga, but I don't believe Oregon has released his contract details yet so we're still just taking (somewhat) educated guesses at that (and if I had to bet, I would guess he is making less than seven figures).

Hypothetically, had he stayed here under Folden I think he would have been the obvious choice for interim HC after Folden's termination. And if he could have pulled a few wins together, Mario would have done at least as good (probably better) than Larry Scott in his next job. Of course, we're playing the result on that one, but I would guess when he is alone with his own thoughts at night, Mario kicks himself over that decision.

All that being said, four years later I am over it. If other people aren't, I can respect that. But I appreciate having a head coach that is not too prideful to bring the guy around campus in the off-season -- building (and repairing) relationships within the profession matters and can ultimately be helpful to the program.

Cristibal made $475K in base pay when he went to Bama.

Alabama gives raises to football assistants, not Saban

So, you're suggesting he had bonuses that totaled another $275K???

Ask your brother how many assistant coaches get bonuses that are more than half of their base salary.

So, yeah. You posted bull****, clown.

Not quite there pal. It is not just bonuses, these are not your average corporate job pay structure. As the other poster enlightened you before his bonus was around 115k. There are other escalators and incentives these coaches get throughout the year that bump their total pay, just like say pro athletes who have incentive laden contracts. Those excess payouts far exceed salary sometimes. Examples of this are car, vacation days (yes they get them, and never use them) so they are always paid out at end of the year which is an extra months pay ;) , working camps believe it or not, and others. So as you can see, this is not your basic pay structure and the fact that you think it is just base plus bonus shows how ignorant you really are, clogging a thread for no reason, by posting published salary only.

You keep responding ...

So, I'll keep responding ...

Interesting that you've edited the responses to hide the fact that my original response is to your bull**** claim that Cristobal left a $350K position at Miami for a $750K position at Alabama, though. But even using your methodology, he wasn't making that when he left Alabama for the Oregon Co-OC job.

But I'll humor you ... Let's assume you can achieve your $750K pay at Bama in HIS FIRST SEASON. Which you can't, but I'll humor you;

If Cristobal could bonus and fringe benefit his way from $475K to $750K at Alabama, what are you suggesting his base pay, bonus, and fringe benefit package at Miami was?

Based on your theory ... Cristobal was almost making as much from his bonus and fringe packet as he was making in total pay at Miami??? :monkey-serious:

Using YOUR theory, Miami must have been paying him $125K before his bonus and fringe benefit package, since these assistants don't make the average "corporate job pay structure". :11263323124_b207743

You're making up numbers to support a premise.

I probably should have let Franchise's comment carry the point; Which is you have no clue what Cristobal made at Miami or what he made at Alabama.

And the guy who co-signed the bonus structure for you is citing 2016 numbers. I've already established Cristobal didn't make the same salary in 2013 that he made last year.

Are you ridiculous enough to think he made the same bonus on a lesser salary, in 2013?

Don't reply to this unless you have some actual numbers and support. Otherwise, you'll just continue posting your bull**** theory on why you are OK with Cristobal taking the Miami job and bolting a month later.

By all means ... Have your own opinion on the subject. This is a message board, and that's your right. But you can't substantiate that opinion with made-up "facts", and get all bothered when you get called out on your "fact" not being a fact.

I'm ok with him leaving Miami because more than the money, the career growth he was afforded working with Saban far outweighed what he would gain under Golden. That is also a fact.

You are forming an opinion based on published salary, these contracts expand much further than that. Miami until Mark Richt got here was behind in the arms race quite a bit. FACT. He made a lot more and advanced his career under Saban. That is real talk

Point to this incredible career growth he achieved in his 5 years at Alabaga. He got demoted once then took a minor pay raise to be a co-OC in name only who doesn't call plays all the way across the country in an area of the country where he has no professional or personal ties. Larry Snott advanced his career better working here.

THIS^^
and OUCH!!

Cristobal is a bad OL coach. He was Coker's OL coach in 2006 and possibly 2005 as well and was bad back then. He's learned little over the last decade and was a bad OL coach even under Saban.

With that being said I hardly blame him for leaving Golden's staff for Saban's staff.

Advertisement
Criscoballs probably thought he was going to be in the running when Showers was canned, and if Shala-lalala-lala-la-la was still in charge, he might. He would have had her at "cheap and Saban". But, Señor Frenk believes in investing and excelling in all things carrying your school name, especially when it's on national TV several times a year.

Anyway, he didn't get the gig, and his best chance ironically was had he stayed here and put together a few wins as an interim HC.

Going to Alabammer and working for the devil did zero for his career. He basically took a lateral-ish job on the opposite corner of the country. I give it one year max before he tries to weasel back into the $EC and lands at a place like Old ****.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back