Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Hey, but for real, on this topic, something went wrong with how Herbert was handled at Oregon. It's not even what he's done in the NFL. Dude stepped into the Senior Bowl and looked like he had previously played a different sport to the one he now dominated. People were even skeptical about the difference in how he looked. I can't tell you exactly why or how this happened, but it's strange to have not unleashed him while at Oregon. I'm sure there's some explanation we don't know about.

Here's an excerpt:

Strangely though, despite insane tools at 6-6 and 236 pounds with a live arm and effortless athleticism, in 2019 Oregon restricted Herbert, making him a secondary piece of the offense and focusing on running the football and playing sound defense. Think about that for a second. Oregon had a legitimate contender to be the No. 1 overall pick at quarterback, and had no qualms about placing him in the background of the offense. But, from a team perspective, the philosophy worked. The Ducks went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl.

But it completely confounded the draft community. Why would Oregon schematically limit Herbert's importance? Why was Herbert playing so conservatively? Where were the deep strikes? The awesome throws while on the move? The long scrambles? Why are they running on third and long?

Fair enough. That is a good read and a very good assessment. I will say the NFL is a throwing league and more difficult to run the ball. Dude is certainly talented athletically and smart as ****.

Advertisement
Hey, but for real, on this topic, something went wrong with how Herbert was handled at Oregon. It's not even what he's done in the NFL. Dude stepped into the Senior Bowl and looked like he had previously played a different sport to the one he now dominated. People were even skeptical about the difference in how he looked. I can't tell you exactly why or how this happened, but it's strange to have not unleashed him while at Oregon. I'm sure there's some explanation we don't know about.

Here's an excerpt:

Strangely though, despite insane tools at 6-6 and 236 pounds with a live arm and effortless athleticism, in 2019 Oregon restricted Herbert, making him a secondary piece of the offense and focusing on running the football and playing sound defense. Think about that for a second. Oregon had a legitimate contender to be the No. 1 overall pick at quarterback, and had no qualms about placing him in the background of the offense. But, from a team perspective, the philosophy worked. The Ducks went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl.

But it completely confounded the draft community. Why would Oregon schematically limit Herbert's importance? Why was Herbert playing so conservatively? Where were the deep strikes? The awesome throws while on the move? The long scrambles? Why are they running on third and long?

Apparently Mario made a call down to Los Angeles because it is happening again:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-los-an...in-herbert-attack-downfield-costing-wins-2021

People keep talking about scheme and that’s why we should get Kiffin. Georgia,Bama,Ohio State don’t beat you with scheme. They have 5 star players that are better than yours. Georgia will probably win the Natty this year and they play a basic defensive coverage and just do enough on offense. I want someone that will bring me the Jimmy and Joe’s. Let the assistant coach worry about the schemes

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.
Oh ****, this got my attention...Bring us Lane, den

Advertisement

Here's an excerpt:

I watched a fair amount of Oregon because the Fins were rumored to be interested so I figured I'd give him a look. Oregon handled him with kid gloves. Treated him like a game manager. I am stunned at how good he's become because he looked like he'd bust in the NFL based on what I saw at Oregon.

I have echoed this same concern about Mario before and it's legitimate. Now, I have no idea if this was a Mario thing or his OC. I have no idea of the inner-workings of that team or why they played him so close to the vest, but its concerning. Sometimes I wonder if Mario is attempting to clone Saban before Saban had his offensive renaissance? And it doesn't help for our assessment that his current QB has real limitations throwing the ball so we have no idea if Cristobal is just doing the best with what he has, or whether this is the precise style he wants to play.

Doesn't that article only strengthen the point that it is a mistake to limit Herbert's natural abilities?
This isn't pushback on your original point. Just that it is happening to Herbert again. They hired a new OC this year

Mario got Oregon in the playoff discussion. He is a Power 5 head coach. The last coach to get us into the Playoff discussion was…a former Power 5 head coach with conference title wins. Stop with this G5 pillaging and hiring coordinators with zero HC experience.

I watched a fair amount of Oregon because the Fins were rumored to be interested so I figured I'd give him a look. Oregon handled him with kid gloves. Treated him like a game manager. I am stunned at how good he's become because he looked like he'd bust in the NFL based on what I saw at Oregon.

I have echoed this same concern about Mario before and it's legitimate. Now, I have no idea if this was a Mario thing or his OC. I have no idea of the inner-workings of that team or why they played him so close to the vest, but its concerning. Sometimes I wonder if Mario is attempting to clone Saban before Saban had his offensive renaissance? And it doesn't help for our assessment that his current QB has real limitations throwing the ball so we have no idea if Cristobal is just doing the best with what he has, or whether this is the precise style he wants to play.
Hey, that’s the only portion of this I came to chime in on. Again, I have no idea why it happened. But, it happened. Perhaps he learned from it and will push his OC to be very aggressive when the next opportunity arises. We have no idea.

Advertisement
I disagree strongly on the recruiting.

Oregon recruited worse than us Pre-Mario. Now they are elite. A guy who coached with Mario at Alabama told me he was the best recruiter he’s ever been around, excluding nobody. The Athletic did a long article about recruiting and all the Pac-12 guys said that Mario was impossible to recruit against because he spends more time with kids than the assistants.

He is an elite recruiter.
Agree to disagree on his ability to recruit the same way here.

I know exactly how he recruits...I remember him coming to my high school to recruit when i was in high school.
He is VERY hands on.

The issue is....this isnt the Pac 12...and it isnt Bama. (Keep in mind Stoutland to me recruited better OL than Mario did)

I dont doubt he would land a few of the S.fla Elites. But expecting him to become Urban Meyer or Jimbo here on the recruiting scene other than the first 2 class bumps gonna have yall disappointed.

So, in your opinion who does?
My top two are Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze because I know with them their offenses will put up points. Freeze is also a demon on the recruiting trail.

I don't like the idea of Cristobal relying on two coordinator hires to succeed. Having to continually hit on coordinators if one or the other leaves due to success is added question marks to a success formula.

I'm not saying Kiffin or Freeze are without question marks, but at least with them you know one side of the ball is covered.

Advertisement
No discernable Advantage?
Mario would be the top choice for recruiting and overall just changing the Culture. It's really as simple as that.

I agree his offense and defensive coordinator hires will be important because he's not a guy like Lane who is the offense. But he is a superior pick to lane as a leader of this program and with recruiting. Kiffin would also recruit great here, it would just be shady and have the NCAA all up our ***. There is no debating that. Cristobal would be by far the best coach we can get as a recruiter.

Its not very complicated - get Cristobal and the best OC/DC we can and it would be better than KIffin/Freeze. Cristobal without a top OC/DC would still be better for the long-term future of this program, but likely wouldn't have as high of a ceiling as the other two.

Regardless if be happy with either as long as the commitment from the top of our program is there. It starts at the top. Are we willing to spend money knowing long-term it will more than payoff?

But he has continued to prove it. He's still in this backyard getting kids. He still has those relationships that he built back then. Mario is loved by kids and coaches alike down here.
So was Manny Diaz, James Coley and numerous others....UNTIL you dont suck up to them and offer everyone and they dont like you. They LOVE You when you arent actually IN South Florida.

I actually like Mario for his National work more so than this s.fla cesspool. Want doors open in Bama...Cali...dont know if he still have Jersey connects but you get my drift.

Advertisement
Lines are being drawn.

km_20211116-2_1080p_1.gif

Mario got Oregon in the playoff discussion. He is a Power 5 head coach. The last coach to get us into the Playoff discussion was…a former Power 5 head coach with conference title wins. Stop with this G5 pillaging and hiring coordinators with zero HC experience.

Discussion? Who cares about a discussion with the playoffs?

Oregon isn’t some rinky dink program. They have tons of resources and have had success for sometime.

Remember when Chip Kelly was there? He lost 3 conference games over 4 seasons. Chip Kelly did a lot bigger things at OU than Mario has and Chip did it when there was actual competition in conference.

Maybe Mario can coach but the competition in the PAC-12 is awful.

Herbert was the SIXTH overall pick in the draft, and balled out immediately in the NFL despite not having a normal preseason. This tells me how well he was coached. Yes, his stats are in comparison to Lawrence, Tua, Mac Jones, and Fields. Those QBs were playing with first and second round talents across their supporting offensive cast.

No discernable Advantage?
Mario would be the top choice for recruiting and overall just changing the Culture. It's really as simple as that.

I agree his offense and defensive coordinator hires will be important because he's not a guy like Lane who is the offense. But he is a superior pick to lane as a leader of this program and with recruiting. Kiffin would also recruit great here, it would just be shady and have the NCAA all up our ***. There is no debating that. Cristobal would be by far the best coach we can get as a recruiter.

Its not very complicated - get Cristobal and the best OC/DC we can and it would be better than KIffin/Freeze. Cristobal without a top OC/DC would still be better for the long-term future of this program, but likely wouldn't have as high of a ceiling as the other two.

Regardless if be happy with either as long as the commitment from the top of our program is there. It starts at the top. Are we willing to spend money knowing long-term it will more than payoff?
One of my favorite posters for a reason. Co-sign.

Advertisement
Back