Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Those are honestly the only points that matter from a hc perspective... The rest is simply surrounding yourself with competent football guys. We don't need some trend setting guru on either side of the ball as coordinators. We just need people who emphasize fundamentals and have a track record of coaching kids up... Far as caps or cussin at u I don't think I cussed at u at all and I didn't read beyond the coordinator comment. That's where you lost me. Because in pointing that out as some sort of negative in bringing in Mario you ignore any of the other points necessary in bringing up as well. For instance with kiffin, obviously he's got the mind for the offense but he also won't be able to get any competent oc to come in and work under him knowing they won't be involved in the offense and play calling. One negates the other. He's never had a disciplined team(which is essential here) as he's not disciplined himself & more than anything for me since he runs a fast paced offense you really need a home run as a DC because they're gonna be on the field alot considering the offense is all about striking. Regardless he's a moot point because why in gods name would kiffin come here as a step backwards from ole ****? He's got an sec head job and with a few good years there he carved himself out anything he wants in coaching. Here it's a stepping stone job unless your interest is long term. Kiffin is the exact opposite of stability. O'Brien I'm not sure why we'd even consider as he's simply another version of schiano who we've turned away twice and aranda I'm just leaving at I have no interest cause I discussed him several days ago.
That's your opinion. I'm sure many agree and many disagree. Do you think Kiffin wants to be at Ole Miss and dog fight every year just to be relevant or come to the ACC where he can win conference titles and make the CFP?

Being an alum and Miami being home are the only reasons Mario would come to Miami. Why leave a team on the verge of a CFP that you built to come to a rebuild? A downgrade as you said for Kiffin would be even more so for Mario.

As much as the fans want Mario, do we even know if he's interested at this point?

Advertisement
Sure, it's possible. But he's getting the job done. And he's ALWAYS gotten the job done, no matter where he's been. He's regarded as one of the best recruiters by just about every single human being who he's ever come in contact with.
And yet his FIU teams didn’t play to their talent level and anyone who watches Oregon week to week will tell you the same thing. So why do these talented rosters rarely play to their capabilities against teams that are completely outmatched? Is he misevaluating? Misusing? It appears to be something no one has an answer for or simply wants to ignore. And to think it wouldn’t happen at Miami is ignoring his resume.

He’ll face better coaches in this conference too

TWO PAC 12 TITLES!! will be shouted while ignoring how he got to the second one and also that the PAC-12 is the worst power 5 for coaches and talent

That's your opinion. I'm sure many agree and many disagree. Do you think Kiffin wants to be at Ole Miss and dog fight every year just to be relevant or come to the ACC where he can win conference titles and make the CFP?

Being an alum and Miami being home are the only reasons Mario would come to Miami. Why leave a team on the verge of a CFP that you built to come to a rebuild? A downgrade as you said for Kiffin would be even more so for Mario.

As much as the fans want Mario, do we even know if he's interested at this point?
I mean... @SWFLHurricane and @Brooklyndee both said on record we definitely have his attention. And that was after Oregon beat Taint.

Advertisement
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Good points. Still huggggge upgrade over manny

You do realize since you mentioned losing when the oc was out that any team is reliant on some form of an oc right? As in any oc as in someone actually hired to do that job. They were missing that. Most teams would struggle with same circumstances.
You're missing my point. The point of laying out the Saban formula is showing how he maintains continuity while losing coaches every year. He gets young coaches that he can mold on his side of the ball and loads coaches with experience on the offensive side. So, when both OC and DC leave, whomever comes in on the defensive side is just going execute his defense and do what he tells them to do. He only has to worry about 1 side of he ball (the offense) and he hires only seasoned former HCs on that side of the ball. Very contrasting. He's the expert on his side or at least it's going to be run the same way every year by hiring a young coach and telling him what to do. I think Saban bumped heads with Kirby Smart and doesn't want that again.

When you're a HC without OC or DC experience, you have twice as much work to do in hiring replacements. Logically, your chances of getting all good coaches is lower than if you are an expert on one side and can just get a young coach you can mold.

I think the best method for Mario is to get the OC and DC that fit what he wants to do and require that they hire assistants that could be their replacements down the road. If our season was different and we were say 10-2 or 11-1 and Lashlee got hired as a HC somewhere, I would have wanted Likens as OC so the offense keeps humming and the offense doesn't have to learn a different scheme. This is my concern with Mario. Do we get two different schemes on both side of the ball every 2-3 years? That's going to cause some up and down seasons IMO.

Last edited:
I just find it hard to believe that he would leave if his team makes the CFP. How crazy does that sound?
Doesn't sound crazy to me.
God willing, he comes back home, establishes himself, gets us to the CFP and win it... wouldn't you want to do that at your alma mater? That would cement him as 🐐 status here. We can talk about the Harbaughs, the Frosts, the Wannstedts of the world.... but this man, reading the tea leaves wants it and definitely is up to the challenge. And someone I know would shut a lot of us up.

Advertisement
My trepidation is not about Mario himself, it’s about the approach in general..

We all want the same thing, there’s just varied pathways to get there.

What I’m skeptical of is the assumptions, I don’t trust the assumptions that we’re going to transform into a top team overnight & I doubt that he’s going to replicate his Oregon recruiting at Miami. It’s not really because of him, it’s because of the program. I believe we need a coach who can work around the restraints of the program & IMO Mario is a guy who needs the program to be running at optimum level in order to be successful. Without the proper backing it’s much harder to do what’s necessary to get back to being competitive, the only way around it is if you have a schematic advantage that levels the playing field.

For the style of play that he wants I don’t think we have that here & I don’t think you can recruit that in one or even two classes. I think his style of approach to getting us to being a better team will take more time than most expect, because to go from the kind of roster we are now to being a physical dominant talent heavy team is something that takes a while, especially when you factor in the recruiting Wars we have to endure in order to achieve that.

I understand the emotional sentiment that comes with it & I get why people assume that if he came here that we would be waltzing into the CFP in no time, I’m just not gonna fall for it until I see it happen & if he plans on turning us into the same type of team he has at Oregon I definitely don’t see that happening as fast as everyone wants/thinks.

He’s absolutely a slam dunk hire on paper, just the methodology by which we go about trying to become a perennial contender IMO is much easier said than done, especially when you’re doing the way he wants to. I believe his method works in certain places, but is much harder to do at Miami than people really realize.

I see your point, but Mario has already invalidated this argument.

As you mentioned before, Mario inherited a 7-6 team composed of largely unheralded recruits that just fit the scheme of the previous regime. Year 1 he went 9-4 and a bowl win... we've done that one time since 2005 (2016 with Richt). Year 2, he won the Rose Bowl. So he had success with a bunch of players that couldn't be further from his philosophy of physical, run first pro style offense AND he's proven his methodology works as well, currently sitting #4 at 9-1.

We should count our lucky starts if we get Cristobal. He's everything we've always asked for. Excellent recruiter with ties to SF, head coaching experience, and proven success at the top. And on top of that he's a Miami native, won championships here, and loves The U. What more can you ask for honestly?

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
One discernable advantage is that he is not Many Diaz learning on the job...lol.

Seriously though, given the ineptitude in coaching searches and contracts with UM in recent years, Mario would only make sense if they are going to break the bank to bring him home...meaning, pull an Orgeron at LSU and pay for serious coordinators, not up and comers or retreads. That isn't going to happen after they take the beating on his salary and buy out. ****, there is a $3 million plus advantage with Stoops that COULD be used on support staff, though who the **** knows if our program will ever get that smart.

Advertisement
I keep seeing this, but Oregon never had a top 10 class ever in history before Mario got there. That Nike money that so many on here claim can buy the world has been there for decades. He is on the verge of his 3rd top 10 class in 5 cycles when they never had 1 prior to him according to the 247 rankings. Why is that? If the Nike money is the end all be all and the only reason he is doing so well? Why couldn’t others do what he is doing? I know what the rebuttal will be, and I agree with much of what the OP said and have stated several times that the man isn’t perfect, but I don’t question his recruiting at all. JMO
Bro, the Nike $ theory is one of the most asinine conspiracy theories to take away from Mario’s recruiting abilities I’ve ever seen. Lol. Oregon has always had Nike $. Lol

Doesn't sound crazy to me.
God willing, he comes back home, establishes himself, gets us to the CFP and win it... wouldn't you want to do that at your alma mater? That would cement him as 🐐 status here. We can talk about the Harbaughs, the Frosts, the Wannstedts of the world.... but this man, reading the tea leaves wants it and definitely is up to the challenge. And someone I know would shut a lot of us up.
You're looking at it with orange and green glasses. You build a program and make it to the CFP. You then decide to leave all that you've built to go to your alma mater for a rebuild?

There's no guarantee for a happy outcome. Watch how many people turn on Mario if he loses a game he shouldn't that costs us going to the ACC title game.

Mario would be a great hire. He'd be throwing a lot away if he does come.

You're looking at it with orange and green glasses. You build a program and make it to the CFP. You then decide to leave all that you've built to go to your alma mater for a rebuild?

There's no guarantee for a happy outcome. Watch how many people turn on Mario if he loses a game he shouldn't that costs us going to the ACC title game.

Mario would be a great hire. He'd be throwing a lot away if he does come.
The cupboard isn't empty though. If Manny can get us top 15 classes, anybody should be able to. The U ain't dead my friends, we are a huge brand.

Advertisement
I find it hilarious, for the longest time on here I hear guys saying "all we need to do is build our trenches, build the O and D line and the rest will take care of itself."
Now we have a thread about a coach who will do exactly that and the concern now is "what about his offensive scheme?"
Can anyone here pick a side and stick to it?!?!
If this guy builds our lines and even pulls a Manny type recruiting class of playmakers, we will have a ton of success.
Oh, and change the culture, which I believe he checks that box too.

I find it hilarious, for the longest time on here I hear guys saying "all we need to do is build our trenches, build the O and D line and the rest will take care of itself."
Now we have a thread about a coach who will do exactly that and the concern now is "what about his offensive scheme?"
Can anyone here pick a side and stick to it?!?!
If this guy builds our lines and even pulls a Manny type recruiting class of playmakers, we will have a ton of success.
Oh, and change the culture, which I believe he checks that box too.
Ha it is a weird dynamic. We all bipolar.

I would say the title is absolutely false but you make some of the same issues I have with Mario. Mario obviously would be best at Miami, better than anywhere else in the country. This is his home town and he has connects with everyone from donors to high school coaches, etc. He also was a coach at Alabama. He would be in a really good position to compete with them here. Mario is a **** good recruiter. Mario would be here for the long haul. This is his dream job. Mario also knows first hand what its like when Miami is good. He also knows what the issue are facing Miami perhaps better than any other coach in the country. Ignoring all this is just weird.

Now I am a believer in the number one issue facing Miami right now is winning. Its not recruiting. Any coach can come in here and field top 20 classes sprinkled in with top 10 classes every few years. If Golden could do it then anyone can. For recruiting to make a difference we need to keep the best of the bunch here at home and thats only going to happen when we are relevant again.

To be relevant all we need to do is win the games we out talent other teams in. We do that and we are in the ACC ship every year. To do that need a coach who hammers home discipline and fundamentals. I know everyone is going to say Miami never had that when they won, but all those Miami teams got the best of the bunch to stay home. We wouldn't need to be uber disciplined if we were getting those guys to stay home but we are not. Its the chicken and egg scenario. My concern with Mario is his teams lack of discipline. That's what make you lose to lesser more disciplined teams like Stanford. If we cant stop losing those games then we will not be a top 5 recruiting team that winning the big ship takes.

Miami is full of the most athletic kids in the country but we also have the biggest primadonna recruits in the country as well. The really high football IQ ones are the ones we are losing to Alabama etc. The best coach we could have here right now is Chris Pederson. I wont be mad with Mario but to me its a question of can he some how pull in the best of the best recruits fast enough to get out of this dumb football and dumb mistakes team we field every year. If we played disciplined football we would have 2 losses right now and be shoe ins to win the ACC, even with our glaring weaknesses on the team.

Advertisement
Back