Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Mario also has to be thinking, "this type of opportunity may not happen again". He's tried coming here 3 times now. A new AD, a New Athletic Department, etc. It will be a hard decision to make, regardless of what anyone says.

When you make that much $, more non-monetary aspects are baked into decisions then you'd think.

Advertisement
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
I got roasted for this a month or 2 ago....glad you posted this with late season facts. Take my upvote!

This myth needs to die. Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there.
As already mentioned in this thread, Chip and his successor recruited more for fitting their system than for overall ability. Also, while Mario's been there the entire West Coast has been in a slump. He's big dyck over there, whereas down here he'll have a micropenis.

I truly don’t think there is a home run hire. All coaches have bad moments. I’ve never been big on Mario but one thing I do think he would fix is the general low IQ and lack of discipline our guys play with. I think fundamentally we could be better which to me is enough to get 10 wins a year with an ACC schedule. Idk if he’s the guy to win the playoff though.

I truly don’t think there is a home run hire. All coaches have bad moments. I’ve never been big on Mario but one thing I do think he would fix is the general low IQ and lack of discipline our guys play with. I think fundamentally we could be better which to me is enough to get 10 wins a year with an ACC schedule. Idk if he’s the guy to win the playoff though.
This is a myth that needs to die. Mario's teams get penalized just as much as we do. Oregon is not a disciplined football team. They're one spot better in penalties.

Advertisement
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Amen, preach brother

Herbert's last two years at Oregon (especially his senior year) were TERRIFFIC seasons.

Don't let the Dolphins messing that pick up get in the way of what Herbert accomplished in college.

They were pedestrian by today’s offensive standards. Just compare them to Mayfield, Tua and the rest of his contemporaries.

I would add to this that although Saban was DC at one time, his area of focus to this day are the Conerbacks. He loves coaching them.

Mario’s specialty are the trenches. He lives coaching that area.

Mario will be more than fine here.
I believe he'd be successful. He also has to get good coordinators every 3 years because they're going to leave for HC jobs when the team is successful. Oregon lost to Stanford when his OC wasn't able to travel. Is that an anomaly or a problem?

The thing with Kiffin is that he's going to kill it from day 1 with TVD. He coaches QBs. We'd be getting top QBs year in and year out. We'll be scoring 50 a game and likely winning the ACC next year IMO. Mario would get there in 2-3 years, but have the program sustained for the long hall.

Mario and Kiffin are both really good choices for the program.

I do believe if they hire Mario the kids will come. He brings immediate credibility. He'll salvage the 2022 class if they fire Diaz before the bowl and hire Mario before NSD. I think he'd have a top 10 maybe even a top 5 class for 2023. It all gets tricky if Oregon makes the CFP assuming Mario would leave Oregon for Miami.

I watched several YouTube locals talking about the Blake James firing. One them said recruits have been texting him asking why Diaz hasn't been fired? Some if not most of the recruits don't want to play for Diaz. I hope they wait and see who we hire before they sign with another school.
Many posters claim the Miami brand is dead. I strongly disagree.

I became a Canes fan in the early 90s because I had an uncle that played for the Canes and a few of his brothers went to school there. So it was kind of in the family. While it is true that today's recruits were not even born yet when Miami last won anything meaningful, their parents were. And if those parents are from S Fla, odds are they are a Canes fan.

That advantage, along with Mario's connections and abilities as a recruiter, is enough to get the ball rolling. Once it does, you have Mario's connections on the west coast and the lure of the City of Miami to recruit nationally. The pieces are there.

Again, those are the types of reasons why Mario is the right guy. What he lacks in coordinator experience or gameday decisions, he makes up for with recruiting ability. That's pretty much how Butch won - he was notoriously a bad gameday coach too.

Miami is a sleeping giant and no one will convince me otherwise.

Advertisement
This myth needs to die. Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there.

This. People think we'll never be able to compete b/c of money in recruiting but look at what a guy like TRob was able to do this past off season. Sure, one kid decommitted, but it shows that a good recruiter can land kids here. We won't have top 5 classes consistently, but we'll be pretty **** close.

I believe he'd be successful. He also has to get good coordinators every 3 years because they're going to leave for HC jobs when the team is successful. Oregon lost to Stanford when his OC wasn't able to travel. Is that an anomaly or a problem?

The thing with Kiffin is that he's going to kill it from day 1 with TVD. He coaches QBs. We'd be getting top QBs year in and year out. We'll be scoring 50 a game and likely winning the ACC next year IMO. Mario would get there in 2-3 years, but have the program sustained for the long hall.

Mario and Kiffin are both really good choices for the program.
The OC going into the hospital last minute, I mean, sh*t happens. They were still
Competitive in the game.

Miami has 2 good QBs in the room and another committed. They will be fine. TVD makes Manny look better. Imagine what he will do for Mario.

No doubt TVD would flourish with Kiffin.

There is talent to work with. With this class being shot and a lot of areas poorly recruited, I believe Mario could overcome those obstacles better than Kiffen.

It’s been said here by other including @Liberty City El. With Mario, this will take a little patience as he has a lot to really build up.

Many posters claim the Miami brand is dead. I strongly disagree.

I became a Canes fan in the early 90s because I had an uncle that played for the Canes and a few of his brothers went to school there. So it was kind of in the family. While it is true that today's recruits were not even born yet when Miami last won anything meaningful, their parents were. And if those parents are from S Fla, odds are they are a Canes fan.

That advantage, along with Mario's connections and abilities as a recruiter, is enough to get the ball rolling. Once it does, you have Mario's connections on the west coast and the lure of the City of Miami to recruit nationally. The pieces are there.

Again, those are the types of reasons why Mario is the right guy. What he lacks in coordinator experience or gameday decisions, he makes up for with recruiting ability. That's pretty much how Butch won - he was notoriously a bad gameday coach too.

Miami is a sleeping giant and no one will convince me otherwise.
I agree. Mario brings credibility. He'll recruit at a high level and change the culture.

I don't get how things that are a combination of common knowledge and easily researched just become so skewed around here.

Chip Kelly left for Philly in January 2013. Mark Helfrich was promoted to HC. The 2013 class is a little muddy for this reason, but it ranked 19th in the country.

Helfrich then recruited the 2014 thru 2016 classes, and they ranked:

21st
16th
27th

Helfrich is fired in late 2016, throwing the 2017 class into chaos, at which point they hire Willie, and they sign the #19 class in 2017.

Willie leaves in December 2017, and Mario is hired, and they sign the #13 class in 2018.

Mario's first real class, 2019: 7th overall
2020: 11th overall
2021: 6th overall
2022: Currently 9th overall

D is 100% correct. Oregon wasn't even recruiting at Miami's level before Mario arrived. Since he got there, they've signed some of the best classes in their history and are lapping Miami in recruiting. Instantly. As soon as he stepped foot on the campus.

Advertisement
I think people understand this but they want it to be done not just talked about. I’m one, I know he can do it, but he has to prove it can be done here.
HERE IS WHERE HE GOT THAT REPUTATION... He didn't just start recruiting at that level. This is people regurgitating poo. Mario was recruiter of the year nationally right here on the staff at the University of Miami... He is elite when it comes to recruiting. That whole Nike money crap is just an excuse to air there own issues out about him.

Lane Kiffin has also seemed to build a very nice staff at Ole Miss with Lebby and Durkin. The thing is, he doesn't need to hit on both coordinators to be successful with him being an actual offensive guy.

Also, a quick not here re: building a physical team. Ole Miss is 3rd in the nation in rush yards per game in the SEC. Oregon is ranked 10th in the country.

That's not a knock on Oregon, just pointing out that Kiffin's offense is better at Mario's calling card (line play) in the SEC than Mario's team in the Pac 12.
Kiffin recruits butt**** Mississippi. Mario recruits the west coast. Kiffin will always have the edge in hog molies

HERE IS WHERE HE GOT THAT REPUTATION... He didn't just start recruiting at that level. This is people regurgitating poo. Mario was recruiter of the year nationally right here on the staff at the University of Miami... He is elite when it comes to recruiting. That whole Nike money crap is just an excuse to air there own issues out about him.

That was a bit ago when the program was hot. This is a whole new situation. I believe he is one the best recruiters in the nation, I don’t doubt that, just want it to be consistently done down in Miami when he’s head coach. I think it’s fair to say prove it.

Advertisement
I don't get how things that are a combination of common knowledge and easily researched just become so skewed around here.

Chip Kelly left for Philly in January 2013. Mark Helfrich was promoted to HC. The 2013 class is a little muddy for this reason, but it ranked 19th in the country.

Helfrich then recruited the 2014 thru 2016 classes, and they ranked:

21st
16th
27th

Helfrich is fired in late 2016, throwing the 2017 class into chaos, at which point they hire Willie, and they sign the #19 class in 2017.

Willie leaves in December 2017, and Mario is hired, and they sign the #13 class in 2018.

Mario's first real class, 2019: 7th overall
2020: 11th overall
2021: 6th overall
2022: Currently 9th overall

D is 100% correct. Oregon wasn't even recruiting at Miami's level before Mario arrived. Since he got there, they've signed some of the best classes in their history and are lapping Miami in recruiting. Instantly. As soon as he stepped foot on the campus.
Is it possible that Oregon's uptick in recruiting coincides with USC's downturn, Chris Petersen winding down and retiring and UCLA hiring a non-recruiter in Chip Kelly? Mario isn't some magical recruiting force. There are real-world reasons for Oregon's uptick. More commitment from the school itself and their closest competitors going in the toilet.

Advertisement
Back