Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Advertisement
Mario’s offense is archaic. I would hope he’d adjust at some point like Saban did who he obviously worked under. He’s got a lot of other pluses in his favor.

when is the last time a program hired a coach away coming off a conference title and NY6 game? Let alone a playoff game? I can’t think of a single time it’s happened. This would be unprecedented and the optics alone would boost this program. I understand the trepidation, but Mario raised are floor significantly. Our first step has got to be getting to Charlotte. I think Mario accomplishes that. The ceiling will be determined by his recruiting, which I think will top 10

He isn't losing to too many of the Pac 10 versions of VA...That's for sure.

His offense looks excellent this year despite average qb play.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think he's great shakes. But this team needs toughness soooo bad. And not just cliche toughness...Real accountability and toughness. There is no accountability. All of this emotional....player's coach, "I knoooowww there is a good team in there and my heart bleeds for them"...my coach puts 4 quarters up on his hand before the 4th and runs all over the side line...You're not allowed to score a TD and NOT put on the TD rings no matter how much you are losing by...**** all that. It's all gimmicks and softness.

I'd love for us to find the next great one...My favorite gamble is Deboer at Fresno. He's not my first choice but Cristobal is a huge step up, and kids will respect the track record. He's nothing like Diaz, there was no track record there other than a couple "decent" defenses and oh he invented the turnover chain!

And I think Diaz is a decent recruiter...I think Cristobal will be a better one
Ask your self....

Why does he have avg qb play...Having ateam out west in the mecca of qb recruiting...after putting a qb in the first round...with the oregon recruiting budget.

Matter of fact his starting qb is a back up ACC qb for a bottom of the barrell acc team at that.

Just last year he lost to oregon state, thats **** near like us losing to fiu...maybe a step up ...duke level.

Advertisement
What advantage has him ranked #4 in the country right now?
The fact that he’s coaching in what amounts to a g5 conference. His division has two interim coaches and two others in Wilcox and Shaw that should be fired. That is an advantage that has nothing to with him. The best thing to happen to Oregon was the rest of PAC-12 stopped caring about football. Not Cristobal.

Stoops
Aranda
Kiffin
Freeze
Cristobal

In that order. Stoops on the top only because his buy out is pretty much non-existent from what I've read. Aranda would be my number one if buyout were not a factor (I believe his buyout would be $16M).

Cristobal can recruit obviously, but what does he give you from an x's and o's perspective since he was never a coordinator?

I would say Kiffin or Freeze would definitely make our rivals have some dread in their souls though.

Advertisement
The Pac-12 is the WORST P5 conference in college football.

Oregon is 9-1, which is great, but lets take a look at the rest of conference:

Utah - 7-3
Arizona St - 7-3
UCLA - 6-4
Oregon St - 6-4
WAZZU - 5-5
USC - 4-5
Washington - 4-6
Cal - 3-6
Colorado - 3-7
Stanford - 3-7
Arizona - 1-9

The ACC isn’t much better I know, but Wake, Pitt, Clemson, NC St & UVA would dogwalk the Pac-12.

**** even Miami for as bad as we are would walk all through that conference with Lashlee as an interim.
(With Diaz as HC we’d probably be 3-7 in the Pac lol)
I think Utah is as good as anyone in the ACC (at least since they put Rising in at QB). The rest leave a lot to be desired, although I think ASU, UCLA and maybe Oregon State are middle of the pack ACC teams.

The problem with that being they spend all week focusing on their side of the ball and other things fall apart. There's only so many hours in the week.
Yeah, I think that might be the best thing al did was not try to be a coordinator too. I keep thinking that during games. The HC should be able to focus where he’s needed, but Manny’s trying to call the defense.

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
You make some valid points. Some of these were brought up by @CoachHayes on his Canes YouTube channel. Hayes was a grad assistant for Mario at FIU.

Coach Hayes said that what scares him about Mario is thst he's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator. Therefore, he's 100% reliant on getting good offensive and defensive coordinators. If your team is successful, you'll have to replace both coordinators every 2-3 years which means you have to get lucky with coordinators every 3 years. So, basically Mario would be Ed Orgeron who got lucky with his OC, DC, and QB Joe Burrows in order to be at that championship level. Orgeron needed to get lucky twice when his OC and DC left and didn't strike lightning resulting in his firing. Now you see his DC killing it as a HC at Baylor which Joe Arranda would be high on my list if he'dconsiderleaving Baylor.

Coach Hayes stressed the importance of being an OC or a DC in your background. He pointed out Nick Saban's model of success. Because his teams are so successful, Saban has to replace both OC and DC every 2-3 years when they get HC jobs. Saban is a defensive guy with a ton of experience as a DC. For his offense, his entire offensive staff are seasoned former head coaches that were also OCs. He can replace anyone on the offense because there is so much experience in the room that it doesn't disrupt the offense. Coach Hayes points out that Saban's new DC is a young DC from the University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA). Why did Saban choose this young guy with little experience NOT even at a P5 school? He chose him because he wanted someone he could mold and tell what to do. He doesn't have to fight with his DC because Saban is the expert on that side and would bump heads with a seasoned DC. Saban's system makes the transition easier when he loses both OC and DC. When you've never been an OC or DC, what is your team's identity? You are basically Ed Orgeron completely relying on getting lucky hiring both your OC and DC in which you have to get lucky every 2-3 years on both sides of the ball.

The successful model is to be a top OC or DC and hire someone you can mold on your side of the ball. On the opposite side of the ball, hire as many seasoned coaches so you can plug and play with more seasoned experience when someone leaves.

Mario has no OC or DC experience and certainly none to be his calling card and that's what's scary.

I do believe Mario would fix 2 major problems and eliminate a 3rd.

First if all, he would fix the country club culture and make the team tough.

Secondly, he would have the offensive line performing at a consistent high level.

Thirdly, he would solidify top 5 to top 10 recruiting classes every year.

Those 3 things would put Miami in the ACC championship game every year and I'm more than good with that as we would win our share of ACC titles and make the CFP on a consistent basis perhaps winning a national championship once again.

I truly believe we have the play makers in the program to win a national championship. We need a culture change and to sure up the trenches and LB & CB.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone has ever thought of Kirby as having a superior scheme, it’s been pretty well known that Kirby is a complete Goober who has essentially been giving a Golden ticket to buy a National championship because they have 100 5-star athletes.

UGA has lead the nation in recruiting spending since Kirby got there, they’re spending $3.5mill a year in recruiting budget & have just copied Bama’s model of flooding the system with cash until they yield desired results.

Mario is a very good recruiter in his own right, but Miami for sure AF ain’t never gonna spend even half as much as UGA does in recruiting, so will the expectation for Mario be top 5 classes even without having the financial support to back him?

Are yall essentially saying he can out recruit elite programs even without the money?
If so, then bring him here now lol
Yes, that’s exactly what they’re saying. People somehow think if you can recruit at bama you can recruit anywhere. And you didn’t even mention the under the table money those schools spend.

One thing I will say is that we’ve had a few top 10 classes in the last 15 years, so it can be done. And if we win, I don’t think it’s beyond belief that we could get a top 10 class most years. The issue of course is we’re doing that while giving up the best of the best to the sec. bottom line, recruit we’ll, win at the rate our talent says we should, and you’ll recruit a little better. That would get us close to the top.

Advertisement
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
If we would spend money on his staff, that would be one thing..but I have an impossible time seeing that after absorbing his salary and buyout.

To me, Stoops is more in our reach and he will tighten up this leaky defense. Just get him a bad *** OC.

Homie, look at the road to the CFP this year in the ACC. The league is so bad we're not even going to get a team in, or even close to it. I don't think Mario is the 2nd coming of Christ, he's got some warts as a gameday coach, but honestly, who doesn't? What coach that we can possibly get is coming devoid of any concerns? They don't exist outside of places like Tuscaloosa.

Mario has a HIGH floor, IMO. You know he's going to recruit, at worst, very well. You know we're going to be competent. You know we're going to beat the vast majority of the teams we're supposed to beat. You know we're going to be competitive. Can he be a good enough football coach to win a championship? I don't know. But the things I just listed, I am 100.0% confident in. The guy has experience, he's seen what it takes to win at the highest level both as a player and a coach, he's proven to be able to win games vs good teams (and lose them to bad ones, to be fair), but for going on 20 years we've been a literal joke. Not just an average team. A joke. An undisciplined, underperfoming, non-developing laughing stock. I'm tired of it. Sure, if his track record remains the same as it's been, we might be in a dogfight with a UVA or a Wake in October. But we're in a dogfight every **** week in this garbage *** league. And we have been FOREVER since we joined it. I just want to be competent. I want to be tough. I want to not watch our kids talk **** like this is 1987 and then get blown out of buildings, like we've seen in places like ******* Manhattan, Kansas for Christ's sake. Is he the end-all, best possible candidate we can ever get? I don't know, maybe not. But if somehow we land him, it's a homerun. Period. It's an absolute ****-shot, ****-missile of a homerun to dead center for this program. I'm trying to see everyone's opinion here and be level-headed, but for the life of me, I can't see how anyone can disagree with that.
Yeah, the goal isn’t perfection, it’s being able to perform to the level of relent we already have while starting to improve that talent. I get that everybody wants a NC, I do too. But f**k man, do people really not think winning 10 games twice in 3 years would be an improvement? Wouldn’t we all be happier if we’d only lost 1 game we had no business losing this year? Wouldn’t we be optimistic for next year? But I guess that’s not anything anyone is interested in.

The Mario vs. Lane threads are going to be great the next few weeks.
We all know who really should get it

A6922DCE-2C0C-446B-9C50-F1091E2041EC.jpeg

Advertisement
If we would spend money on his staff, that would be one thing..but I have an impossible time seeing that after absorbing his salary and buyout.

To me, Stoops is more in our reach and he will tighten up this leaky defense. Just get him a bad *** OC.
Stoops working the D and Lashlee still at OC would win a lot of games. Is Lashlee perfect? No. He is, however, a **** of a lot better than a lot of guys we could hire. Especially with TVD back there. I kind of like that our O is coming along. What I don't like is that our D gives our O ZERO room for error. You can't have that with a young QB and expect more than what we are seeing. Every game is a toss up, because the D currently is guaranteed to give up 30 points, or however much it needs to to make the O sweat.

I know not everyone is sold on Lashlee, but I am convinced we could do a **** of a lot worse, and that worries me. It's going to suck to see our D get better, only to have our O get worse. If we keep the O together, and get a D minded coach, someone that actually knows D and isn't faking it like Manny, we'll do really well.

I guess the bottom line for me is this. The O isn't broken. The D and overall culture is.

OP spewing a lethal amount of truth here.

One of my issues with Luigi is that I just don't know what his physical presence in the stadium adds on actual gameday and that's personally a major issue.

The debate around here about other facets of the job between him and Kiffin is going to be interesting and people will absolutely be able to make valid cases for Cristobal in those areas.

I'd just ask this- if you're in a big game and the score is tied at halftime then who would you trust more to win that game if all things are equal?

I'd absolutely LOVE if we could simply "out-talent" every opponent due to Cristobal's recruiting prowess but I'm not sure if that prowess lasts forever and I think that mindset has a ceiling that probably doesn't involve national championships.
I think the answer lies in his staff, his coordinators.

I’m sure there will be a number of threads.

Advertisement
Back